Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,728 times

Advertisements

Hello GanonGrey,

My husband, kids and I are relocating to Park Cities this summer. We just spent a week looking at homes in University Park and Highland Park...we loved the area. My husband is of Indian descent, I am a black Hispanic, our kids are the best of both worlds. Initially I too was concerned about the lack of diversity. But after spending some time in the area we decided that we feel comfortable enough to continue to search for a home in the area. Primarily we are looking at University Park, focusing on the slightly wider lots inside the fairway. We saw a lot of familes and kids playing outside during our visit, and it is exactly what we are looking for.

To the person who suggested Southlake...We looked extensively in the Southlake area, and felt less at ease among the people who live there than what we experienced in the Park Cities. Granted we were there less than a week, but had plenty of interactions in both areas at grocery stores, coffee shops, shopping areas, restaurants, etc. I truly felt like Southlake would be much less accepting of our multi-racial family than Park Cities. Add the nightmare of natural gas drilling (looks like the whole town is turning out to vote on the 4th whether or not to allow a particular energy company's request for variances to their drilling permits) and we pretty much have ruled Southlake out.

I have lived in the states since 1986, first in the northeast and currently in the southeast. This is what I have learned: if you are comfortable in your own skin, are involved in the community, are a good neighbor, and set a good example, people will accept you.

Good luck on your search.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:02 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Two of my partners live in Southlake, not for me. Well, I am fiscally conservative. Wife's an academic so, there. Republican since my time in D.C. Went to school in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. Essentially a midwestern Highland Park. Negotiated the most exclusive private school in the state. I know what racism is. I am the last one to call racism, unless of course it blatantly is. Just looking to raise a dear child, not make any waves and have my home's value be secure.

Am against affirmative action, because it takes away from one's true accomplishments as though they were given away. Was at University of Michigan during that controversy.

Wife's a professor, I'm a specialized-surgeon and neither of us took or would have our daughter looking for hand-outs. If she's not getting A's, mom and dad will deal with that one.

So again, conservative, quiet, educated couple that's lived in DC, Boston, Philadelphia without issue. How you vote is up to you, but in our tax bracket (and likely most of HP/PH/UP) we'd like to see less taxes. Not looking to get Kwanzaa celebrated or Martin Luther King's Day off. And diversity has become a catch-all phrase. I'm not from Dallas, so I'd have no idea how a Black child would do in HP. And that doesn't make me racist, just a realist.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Hmm, here's what I would suggest if you're undecided on the diversity factor in HPISD:

1. Wait until your child is 4 and see what private kindergarten you can get him (she?)into. If he gets into Lamplighter, ESD, St Rita's or another top private school....go that route and buy in Preston Hollow. You will be 100% sure of the diversity in his classmates.
Best advice yet in this thread.

If you yourself went to an elite private school, you'll probably be most satisfied with the same situation for your daughter. Even at places like HPISD, your daughter will have to put up with a certain percentage of goof-offs and behavior problems in the classrooms. That's the nature of public education.

Put that on top of the fact that the elite private schools are all more diverse than HP schools (sorry, TurtleCreek80, but it's true), and it sounds as if the private schools are for you.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Wasn't expecting this to be a powder-keg. We've looked at Hockaday, ESD and the feeders like Lamplighter and even the International school for its French immersion. I could find better ways to spend 23k a year. I did the blue-blazer and striped tie thing, played lacrosse, suppered at the Hunt club behind the upper school with kids whose parents were members. But that was because my public schools weren't an option.

"You're a coward if you're not a rebel by 20, but an idiot if you haven't turned establishment by 30."

Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Wasn't expecting this to be a powder-keg. We've looked at Hockaday, ESD and the feeders like Lamplighter and even the International school for its French immersion. I could find better ways to spend 23k a year. I did the blue-blazer and striped tie thing, played lacrosse, suppered at the Hunt club behind the upper school with kids whose parents were members. But that was because my public schools weren't an option.

"You're a coward if you're not a rebel by 20, but an idiot if you haven't turned establishment by 30."
As a graduate of HPHS, I am biased....but I did forget to pass on the Dallas "financial litmus test" to decide between HPISD and private school:

Based on property taxes and private school tuition, if your ultimate family size is expected to be:

1 child- private school makes best financial sense, assuming you can find an equal size/style home in PH/ Lakewood/ Kessler Park/ other desirable neighborhood for $200k+ less.

2 children- break-even point. You'll spend approximately the same with either HPISD or private schools

3+ children- HPISD is less expensive option at this point, since the $45-105k you'd spend each year on private school tuition FAR exceeds additional property taxes + PITI on HPISD home.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
You keep posting the same info with no questions. It's a little confusing....

Just let us know when you have a question!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 32,462 times
Hello there Ganongrey! I found your post interesting as we have recently relocated to the area from Ohio. I too sought some insights from the board and found some very helpful information that led us to HP. As a black woman married to a white male with our 2 children and 2 Yorkies (which I did not mention race in my post because it just didn't matter to us if the area was right for us, then it was right regardless of race), we spent another day in HP getting a lay of the land today. So far, we are very pleased with the welcoming nature of everyone we have encountered thus far. Of course, we have reviewed the diversity numbers. They are extremely low. However, as the only minority graduate of my high school class, I know from 1st hand experience it can actually be a positive one... I graduated valedictorian, Class President, captain of Academic Decathlon... I won't continue, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents as a person in your demographic who can share your concerns. Go visit the schools during the school day. Trust your gut and not just the numbers. You will ultimately do what is right for your family.

As one person posted above commented, if you are comfortable in your own skin, then you will be fine. Of course, I am paraphrasing.

I wish you the best. Oh, btw, I also am Republican, do not believe in Affirmative Action. We come from all walks of life... it makes the world wonderful. You will find the place your family will enjoy. Take your time. :-)

Old 01-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Best advice yet in this thread.

If you yourself went to an elite private school, you'll probably be most satisfied with the same situation for your daughter. Even at places like HPISD, your daughter will have to put up with a certain percentage of goof-offs and behavior problems in the classrooms. That's the nature of public education.

Put that on top of the fact that the elite private schools are all more diverse than HP schools (sorry, TurtleCreek80, but it's true), and it sounds as if the private schools are for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomer View Post
Hello there Ganongrey! I found your post interesting as we have recently relocated to the area from Ohio. I too sought some insights from the board and found some very helpful information that led us to HP. As a black woman married to a white male with our 2 children and 2 Yorkies (which I did not mention race in my post because it just didn't matter to us if the area was right for us, then it was right regardless of race), we spent another day in HP getting a lay of the land today. So far, we are very pleased with the welcoming nature of everyone we have encountered thus far. Of course, we have reviewed the diversity numbers. They are extremely low. However, as the only minority graduate of my high school class, I know from 1st hand experience it can actually be a positive one... I graduated valedictorian, Class President, captain of Academic Decathlon... I won't continue, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents as a person in your demographic who can share your concerns. Go visit the schools during the school day. Trust your gut and not just the numbers. You will ultimately do what is right for your family.

As one person posted above commented, if you are comfortable in your own skin, then you will be fine. Of course, I am paraphrasing.

I wish you the best. Oh, btw, I also am Republican, do not believe in Affirmative Action. We come from all walks of life... it makes the world wonderful. You will find the place your family will enjoy. Take your time. :-)
Thanks for the response. My wife was also valedictorian. My prep-school was not diverse and that was never really an issue. It was only about 240 kids for the Upper school also, so you knew everyone.

I'm not worried about how I or my wife (french-créole) will fit in. I'd assume education and work-ethic trumps race, unless you're just set in your ways. In that case, we don't have to speak, just pay your taxes.

I'm more worried about the putting a daughter who is cafe-au-lait, wavy hair and beautiful into HPISD. And not that anything would be 'done' to her, but it can be tough for a brunette at HPISD I've heard (half-kidding) much less someone else.

Otherwise, we're not pushing a social agenda just trying to figure out where to live. And as we've worked hard, we want to move to a place we like and that will protect our investment. However even if we decide to go private-school, HPISD is still a huge selling point come resale time.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM

13 posts, read 32,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
I'm more worried about the putting a daughter who is cafe-au-lait, wavy hair and beautiful into HPISD. And not that anything would be 'done' to her, but it can be tough for a brunette at HPISD I've heard (half-kidding) much less someone else.

Otherwise, we're not pushing a social agenda just trying to figure out where to live. And as we've worked hard, we want to move to a place we like and that will protect our investment. However even if we decide to go private-school, HPISD is still a huge selling point come resale time.
I feel your pain. :-) Tomorrow my task is to visit the inside of two of the schools. On site visits during the day give me more insight than anything else. From there we will know whether or not our initial assessment of the area is worth pursuing further. Visiting the area and behaving as the "locals" do versus a "tourist" will give you the answer you need for your family.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Since you grew up in Grosse Pointe... I really think your family will be VERY happy in the Park cities.
You will be happy with an excellant public school education for your child, no need to shell out 20K+.
Your child will grow-up with neighborhood kids playing in the parks, walking/biking to school and walking to the pool.

It's safe, it's beautiful, etc... Is it Utopia? no (where is?) Every place will have it's internal problems etc... But honestly I really don't think race will be an issue. Especially since she will start in Kindergarten. I do think it may be more difficult for someone moving in in the MS/HS years to assimulate than one who has lived there thier entire lives.

And as you said...IF in 5 or so years you see HP/UP ISD as a social problem for your daughter, you will have no problem with re-sale.

Good luck to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas