Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM

201 posts, read 829,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You teach at HPHS and don't know how to use "their", "they're" and "there" correctly? Really?!
I thought the same thing!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
For that we're just going to give it a go in HPISD. If issues arise it's onto Hockaday and at least we'd have a home in a solid neighborhood that should sell quickly if it became an issue to move.
Quite frankly, your arrogant attitude that you'll just be able to move onto Hockaday should the mood arise is getting old. Hope your kiddo is as brilliant as you think because the odds of getting into, say, Duke or Georgetown, are about the same as getting a non-sibling, non-legacy daughter into Hockaday.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
Quote:
Quite frankly, your arrogant attitude that you'll just be able to move onto Hockaday should the mood arise is getting old. Hope your kiddo is as brilliant as you think because the odds of getting into, say, Duke or Georgetown, are about the same as getting a non-sibling, non-legacy daughter into Hockaday.
Truth is, he's probably right. We're talking an African-American applicant (like it or not, that's a huge hook for a qualified candidate) who can list both a doctor and a PhD under her parent information (implying a high degree of intelligence in the gene pool) along with an HP address (implying the ability to donate, donate, donate).

Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
Quote:
You teach at HPHS and don't know how to use "their", "they're" and "there" correctly? Really?!
Don't forget the run-on sentences, the incorrect spacing after punctuation, the capitalization error, and the subject-verb mismatch in the last sentence.

Lesson to be learned - don't post from your Android!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Truth is, he's probably right. We're talking an African-American applicant (like it or not, that's a huge hook for a qualified candidate) who can list both a doctor and a PhD under her parent information (implying a high degree of intelligence in the gene pool) along with an HP address (implying the ability to donate, donate, donate).
Nearly 40% of Hockaday's students are minorities. Little rich black (or Asian or Indian or ....) girls aren't exactly "rare" around here.

Highland Park address only implies they live in the Park Cities. A six-figure donation "bribe" attached to the application implies the ability to "donate, donate, donate."

Kids who have parents with graduate degrees are a dime a dozen in Dallas' elite circles.

Hockaday is NOT a school you just "sign up" for- regardless of skin color or breeding.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
Quote:
You're obviously missing the joke. I'd prefer her just to stay in public school. If it came to private school we'd find ESD, one of the Catholics, but likely would try for a magnet first such as Dealey.

My wife was valedictorian. She chose Notre Dame. I picked the much stronger engineering program at University of Michigan. We'd prefer public school for our daughter but we did both attend what you'd term 'elite' private schools so unless it was an Ivy or MIT, Georgetown and Duke are firmly in the slot below the Ivies along with Michigan and Notre Dame.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
I was at Michigan during the affirmative action controversy. I'd never allow my daughter to be admitted to a place she wasn't worthy of. I'm not expecting to show up with my version of Sasha Obama and a coke and a smile.

Hockaday is apparently a huge lightening rod here. I didn't mean to start this flame war. However the term 'rich Black girl' is fairly offensive. We don't really care about Hockaday, it's used as a catch-all for any private school.

However, like many Blacks that have come from modest means and done well, you have to realize we've heard "You can't do that" quite alot. And politely ignored it.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
I was at Michigan during the affirmative action controversy. I'd never allow my daughter to be admitted to a place she wasn't worthy of. I'm not expecting to show up with my version of Sasha Obama and a coke and a smile.

Hockaday is apparently a huge lightening rod here. I didn't mean to start this flame war. However the term 'rich Black girl' is fairly offensive. We don't really care about Hockaday, it's used as a catch-all for any private school.

However, like many Blacks that have come from modest means and done well, you have to realize we've heard "You can't do that" quite alot. And politely ignored it.
Time out.

1. I'm sorry if you found "rich black girl" offensive. That's why I added some other races in parentheses. I think it's great we live in a world where people of all colors can become "rich"- my point was that there are so many wealthy minorities in Dallas that it's not exactly the private school "hook" it was 20-30 years ago.

2. Hockaday is one of the most prestigious girls schools in the US. I'm certainly not saying your daughter "can't" get in- just realize it's very tough (especially if she doesn't start there in Pre-K....chances of getting in can be as low as 5-20% for other admissions grades) and it's not a school YOU decide to attend. They decide if they want you- not the other way around.

For families who choose private schools, there is generally a school for every student out there. What grates on my nerves is when people prance around and act "entitled" to get in to one particular school (and thats how a lot of your "we'll do Hockadayas a back-up" comments come across online). lot of very smart and deserving kids get rejected every year.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,037 times
What about further down Hillcrest,Brentfield elementary (http://www.risd.org/Group/Schools/Schools.asp?OrgCode=128)is (broken link) a great school that feeds into Parkhill,which feeds into JJ Pearce check it out

Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlecreek80 View Post
time out.

1. I'm sorry if you found "rich black girl" offensive. That's why i added some other races in parentheses. I think it's great we live in a world where people of all colors can become "rich"- my point was that there are so many wealthy minorities in dallas that it's not exactly the private school "hook" it was 20-30 years ago.

2. Hockaday is one of the most prestigious girls schools in the us. I'm certainly not saying your daughter "can't" get in- just realize it's very tough (especially if she doesn't start there in pre-k....chances of getting in can be as low as 5-20% for other admissions grades) and it's not a school you decide to attend. They decide if they want you- not the other way around.

For families who choose private schools, there is generally a school for every student out there. What grates on my nerves is when people prance around and act "entitled" to get in to one particular school (and thats how a lot of your "we'll do hockadayas a back-up" comments come across online). Lot of very smart and deserving kids get rejected every year.
yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas