Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times

Advertisements

Southlake I can see. But Las Colinas isn't on the same level as Southlake. The school system and presumed stabiliy of real estate value is something Las Colinas does not have.

Check DCAD for property values. Look closer, how much of the value is the house and how much is the land?

The house depreciates. The land doesn't (theoretically). So if your area isn't completely built out and most of your value is in the house and the house is dropping in value. You get folks looking to buy the next newest house on a new lot.

If your area is built out, toll brothers can't come in a put up a row of rubick's cubes custom yet very similar homes. Also, all you need to do for things to appreciate is sit on the land.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDallas View Post
I like the Southlake and Las Colinas area as well. If you can go further North you tend to find more family atmosphere...I really like the West Plano area off of the Tollway and in Collin County you have excellent schools. I know both Up and HP have excellent schools but if you want the whole package Southlake, Las Colinas or North would probably suit your needs better. Good luck with your move.
What is more family friendly than the Park Cities? The neighborhood parks, pools, YMCA, church gyms, etc get heavy daily use by the kids. The whole community comes out for Scots football games, the July 4th parade, trick-or-treating, Christmas tree lighting ceremonies in UP and HP, etc. All kids feed into 1 school by grade 5- there are no school rivalries as everyone's a Scotty. Block parties dot the social calendar- the police barade your block, the hamburger man grills dinner, and kids bike and play games in the street freely.

It's the original "family friendly" suburb in Dallas. No need to go north if you can afford it.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
Las Colinas would be a no....The park cities can not be beat.The only other suburb to consider in a very high price range would be Southlake/ Westlake....

Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Quote:
Joe shmoe and his mid level sales job ,stay at home wife who thinks she is on real housewives of Dallas wearing clothes from the juniors department at Macy's.She is 40 and has a rhinestone pink cell phone case.They have a leased Cadillac escalade and an ignorant attitude
LOL!! this SOO MUCH!

Why is it that alot the Mom's in some of these "suburbs" feel the need to dress and act like High School girls? I do not want to wear Abercrombie clothes, fake tan, have bedazzeled accesories, fake nails etc...
I am over 40, I have 3 kids, and I drive a minivan(paid for!)....I am really ok with that!!
maybe it's comming from the east coast where the "outward" appearence is just not that important. I feel like here at the PTA meeting etc... the Mom's are trying wayy too hard to "out do" each other, they could care less about the real issues.

Quote:
....The park cities can not be beat.The only other suburb to consider in a very high price range would be Southlake/ Westlake....
TAKE out Southlake, it's no on par with the PARK CITIES or WESTLAKE. price up to a 880k-million then yes Southlake would be your top family pick. BUT over a million? nope. Know many families who have Moved "up" from Southlake/Colleyville to Westlake.

EXACTLY, anyone who has OVER 1 million to spend on a house would buy in either Park Cities (If based out of Dallas area) OR, Westlake if based in the Ft Worth Area.
Those naysayers etc... would be first in line to move into the Park cities if they had the bank to do so.
It's not "keeping up with the Joneses" when you ARE the Jones'

Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
Yes 5stones ,I agree. We came here from the northeast as well and find that difference you mention very apparent in places like Frisco. Laughable.My spouse has told family and friends back at home that when they come to visit we will stop by Stonebriar mall to view some of the tacky,inappropriate fashions of the 35 + 'SAHM'S"

Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Wow.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 AM

161 posts, read 385,490 times
Why do these threads invariably devolve into Frisco/Plano bashing? It gets so old. The people I know in Frisco are highly educated, hold high-paying c-level jobs, and live in homes that cost anywhere from $800k to $1mil+.

Hardly the kind of people who troll Stonebriar in Forever 21.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:55 AM

161 posts, read 385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
The Lexus LS460l is catching on as well.
When I'd take my Lexus in for service at Sewell and strike up a conversation with someone from the lounge they'd always either be from the Park Cities or West Plano. Back in high school, all I used to see in HP/UP were Lexus SUV's and LS430's.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
Why do these threads invariably devolve into Frisco/Plano bashing? It gets so old. The people I know in Frisco are highly educated, hold high-paying c-level jobs, and live in homes that cost anywhere from $800k to $1mil+.

Hardly the kind of people who troll Stonebriar in Forever 21.
The dude bashing Frisco is from Prosper, so don't blame the dallasites on this one.
Secondly, yeah there are SOME people in Frisco living in $800K+ houses, but they would be the minority. Plenty of sub $200K homes in Frisco, that might be the majority. That said, Frisco is certainly a decent place to live.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM

93 posts, read 244,983 times
I disagree; I think the main difference between Southlake, Westlake and the Park Cities is at the low end. In the Park Cities and Westlake, a million is pretty much entry level (though you'd get a lot more in Westlake for the money). In Southlake, it is possible to find a pretty nice, over 3000sqft, 90s era build for about 400k. Most things that meet that description in the Park Cities would be at least 800-900k. Westlake doesn't seem to have anything like this; there are a few houses that are older for around 400-600k; almost everything else is over a million and in a gated community. Southlake has a pretty good list of properties over a million, and someone who didn't want a gated community or who wanted a school with more activities (sports, etc) for kids might choose Southlake, even at over 1 mil. On the Dallas side, someone might choose Preston Hollow, Lakewood, or even a burb (Plano/Frisco, etc) for over a mil rather than the Park Cities if that person wants a newer/bigger house with more land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
LOL!! this SOO MUCH!

TAKE out Southlake, it's no on par with the PARK CITIES or WESTLAKE. price up to a 880k-million then yes Southlake would be your top family pick. BUT over a million? nope. Know many families who have Moved "up" from Southlake/Colleyville to Westlake.

EXACTLY, anyone who has OVER 1 million to spend on a house would buy in either Park Cities (If based out of Dallas area) OR, Westlake if based in the Ft Worth Area.
Those naysayers etc... would be first in line to move into the Park cities if they had the bank to do so.
It's not "keeping up with the Joneses" when you ARE the Jones'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas