Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 AM

57 posts, read 171,085 times

Advertisements

I am from Michigan and desperately wanting to move to somewhere warmer. I was thinking Dallas would be a good place. Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
I think you will find the temperatures/weather completely opposite from Michigan. It is great hear, but I am a native Texan. Plan for several months (4-5) of really hot days. July, August & about 1/2 of September are really hot -- high 90s to low 100s for days on end. I would say what you guys get in cold, we get in hot.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 AM

247 posts, read 567,487 times
The people are great, the cost of living is nice, and there are more jobs here than most other parts of the nation (especially Michigan, actually). I highly recommend it!! =)

Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
I've always found that Michiganders were more appreciative of their Texas experience and fit into the culture more readily than those who have moved here from other areas of the country. And yes, Texas will be warmer.

I would just add, you should be absolutely sure you want to move to Texas. If not, then heavily consider your options.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
I'm from Michigan (Midland) and I will always ALWAYS trade the -10 with wind chill, ice on the roads for 100 degree summer days.
I hated the grey skies that on for weeks in the winter - it's nice and sunny here now. And although it gets cold in Dallas (next week the high is supposed to be in the 30s), it is never EVER nearly as cold as Michigan.

When I go back to visit family, I'm always surprised how gumpy everyone is - in shops, restaurants, etc. In Dallas, we are very friendly. My mother thinks it's crazy that I chat up everyone - it's just what we do here.

One thing that was tough was finding an area of town where I felt comfortable - being someone who prefers a more natural setting, doesn't wear a heap of makeup, and a more casual wardrobe with a super laid back attitude w/o a focus on consumerism. Needless to say, it's not the typical Dallas profile. I find that East Dallas is more or less an area that is more accepting of this atypical Dallas look/attitude.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM

198 posts, read 508,095 times
Sweetkisses4511,

I moved here from MI in 2007 with my wife and two teenage kids. I've written several posts on my family's experience with the move and the area. Feel free to search my posts.
Feel free to send me a direct message if you want to converse more directly.
There are many things to like here in Dallas and it is a great area, but as the other poster said moving is no trivial matter so consider it carefully. I also agree with what tofurkey said about michiganders.

In closing
It was 65 and sunny yesterday - had wine and cigars on the back patio.
It will be 65 and sunny today, but the weather is very crazy here and it is supposed to be in the 30s by sunday. On balance though I like the weather here but it can change rapidly. My wife would get pnemonia every winter in MI and be steriod dependant during the winter. This hasn't been a problem here in Dallas. We enjoy the mild winters and don't mind the hot summers.
Regards,
GRHTEX

Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 AM

44 posts, read 70,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetkisses4511 View Post
I am from Michigan and desperately wanting to move to somewhere warmer. I was thinking Dallas would be a good place. Any input?
Dallas compared to Michigan is well total opposites when it comes to weather. Unlike the upper Midwest we see the sun almost everyday in Texas. It beams warm in the summer and bright in the winter.

Dallas as a city it's not bad. Cost of living is cheap. No state income tax. Plenty of homes or condos ready to buy.

DFW airport and DAL both transportation hubs of American Airlines and Southwest. You can pretty much get anywhere you want non-stop.

Pretty good sports town. Dallas has every major sporting event. Dallas/FTW area host 2 PGA golf tourneys each year. We also have more public golf courses then most city's this large.

I think you would like Dallas and Texas. Come on down and give it a peak.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
One thing that was tough was finding an area of town where I felt comfortable - being someone who prefers a more natural setting, doesn't wear a heap of makeup, and a more casual wardrobe with a super laid back attitude w/o a focus on consumerism. Needless to say, it's not the typical Dallas profile. I find that East Dallas is more or less an area that is more accepting of this atypical Dallas look/attitude.
Now that's some very interesting language you're using there Pepper131 ?
I think I see where you're going, but could you be a little more explicit and define your idea of what the "typical Dallas profile" is ? And specifically,
East Dallas is where exactly ? I mean are we talking the eastern area of the city proper, or a particular 'burb(s) that is more laid back and not so extreme on conspicuous consumption ?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
It's definitely warmer. Humidity levels are probably comparable but the average summer temp is probably 10-20 degrees higher.

If you're a tree lover, Dallas-Fort Worth (especially the suburbs) will pale in comparison to the upper midwest.

The houses are cheap but the property taxes and homeowner's insurance costs are among the highest in the nation, and toll roads are slowly replacing freeways as the preferred method of highway construction. Almost every major highway construction/expansion project slated for DFW contains some form of tolling.

If you have kids or are planning on having them, the public education system in TX is pathetic. Texas ranks near the bottom in graduation rate and a handful of other educational statistics.

Additionally, the state is facing a budget shortfall of up to $25 billion. Legislators are expected to cut services and raise state fees (because they're too chicken s*&t to raise taxes and the electorate is too stupid to realize a fee increase is essentially the same damn thing).

Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
From Detroit here. The weather in Dallas is obviously much better than Michigan. You do however get four seasons, but winter is fairly quick and mild usually without much snow.

The people are about as friendly as in Michigan on the whole. You're likely used to driving 45 minutes for everything so that won't change in Dallas unless you're actually in the city center/uptown/downtown/park cities. But the suburbs tend to have enough stores for most everyday needs.

Likely your job situation will slot you into a particular area. What wil lyou be doing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas