Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM

19 posts, read 34,898 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated to DFW and before I begin the "house hunt" I need to find out as much as I can about the schools. My son is in the gifted/talented program where we currently reside in OK. He is what some call "highly gifted" with an IQ in the 140's. Apparently, this makes a difference in the individual magnet schools we should be looking into. While he does have those qualities, he is also very socially well rounded and does not have the typical characteristics of an extreme gifted/high IQ student. My point is that we want to give him the best options academically, while still allowing him to become a well-rounded young man. Can anyone jump in here and point me in the right direction? Which schools should we be considering? What is their admissions process? What are our chances of even getting into one of these schools? On a seperate note, we love the idea of the Lakewood area. Our price range is around 500K. How far will that get us, in respect to Lakewood? We know we could also go to the suburbs and of course there is the private school route (but the latter is just SO expensive in Dallas!) Thanks for any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenschu View Post
We are being relocated to DFW and before I begin the "house hunt" I need to find out as much as I can about the schools. My son is in the gifted/talented program where we currently reside in OK. He is what some call "highly gifted" with an IQ in the 140's. Apparently, this makes a difference in the individual magnet schools we should be looking into. While he does have those qualities, he is also very socially well rounded and does not have the typical characteristics of an extreme gifted/high IQ student. My point is that we want to give him the best options academically, while still allowing him to become a well-rounded young man. Can anyone jump in here and point me in the right direction? Which schools should we be considering? What is their admissions process? What are our chances of even getting into one of these schools? On a seperate note, we love the idea of the Lakewood area. Our price range is around 500K. How far will that get us, in respect to Lakewood? We know we could also go to the suburbs and of course there is the private school route (but the latter is just SO expensive in Dallas!) Thanks for any and all input!
$500k in Lakewood will get you a nicely updated ranch style 1-story around 2,500sf. Think 3 bed/ 2 bath/ 2 living areas on a nice lot in prime Lakewood "proper"....like near Lakewood Elementary school.

Magnet schools in DISD start in 9th grade. You have to apply/audition for a spot- you don't get in automatically by having a certain IQ or 7th grade PSAT score (Duke TIP). DISD offers a variety of excellent magnet schools- a "general studies" one with a college-prep focus, a science & engineering one, a business & law one, an arts one, etc. Woodrow Wilson HS- the Lakewood neighborhood HS- is starting IB next year and also has a good AP program. The kids at the top of their class at Woodrow are a competitive bunch and get into very good colleges. Woodrow is also a good choice for a kid who is social and wants a "traditional" high school experience with football games, homecoming dances, cheerleaders & pep rallies. Magnet schools don't have UIL athletic teams. Just something to consider as you think about what is best for your son academically as well as socially/ extracurricularly.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Thank you TurtleCreek. That's good info. I keep hearing (reading) so much about Wilson. The idea of it excites me but at the same time, makes me nervous. My son will be going into the 5th grade next year. I keep thinking that by the time he's in 9th grade, a lot of the "growing pains" with Woodrow could be ironed out and it could possibly be an excellent choice.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Actually Woodrow started Pre-IB last fall for ninth graders and three other college prep academies: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math; Performing Arts and Business, Finance and Entrepreneurship. Each incoming ninth grader had to choose an academy (IB was through application and selection). This is a four-year roll-out so this fall the freshmen will be in the second year of it..

When we get the official IB World School designation in a couple of months or so we can start offering those courses in each grade. J. L. Long Middle School plans to apply for IB MYP in April pending that...

So whatever data you have on Woodrow for the past few years (and there is a lot if it that is very good) remember that changes are in place that should move it up in standings as there are larger numbers of high achievers (we had several hundred at the recent open house and the large majority were from private schools) each year.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM

114 posts, read 221,892 times
Besides the new academies, and IB program, will there still be the traditional college prep (w.AP and honors courses) available at WW?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Both AP and Dual-Credit courses will be offered see:

Advocate podcast: more on Woodrow Wilson’s IB program | Advocate Magazine

there are some links there to other aspects of the program and you can navigate around WOODROW TODAY

Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Kathlyn Joy Gilliam Collegiate Academy is great Magnet High school. You can take high school classes and collage classes at the same time. When you graduate from this school you will have a high school diploma and 2 years of college. This school is exemplary that's the highest ranking. The school has a 100% passing rate in every subject except math, the math passing rate is 99%.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Where is this school? In DISD? Thanks!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Lakewooder: what is the current graduating class size of WW? Any opinions on the neighborhood middle school? I've heard nothing but great things about Lakewood elementary, but not so much about the middle school. Any info would be great.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenschu View Post
Where is this school? In DISD? Thanks!
Yes, its in DISD. The temporary school is in Oak Cliff off of R.L. Thornton Freeway and Kiest Blvd. They are building a brand new school for them in Oak Cliff near the University of North Texas at Dallas. The school will be very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas