Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times

Advertisements

Yep, "piping hot" as they used to say. Thank goodness for microwaves because if mine gets the least bit lukewarm, it's gonna get nuked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM

13 posts, read 30,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with that. for one, DFW does not represent the entirety of Texas. the eastern part of the state (to include Houston) is completely and without a doubt in the south, and much of it is practically the southeast (except for being west of the Mississippi)

Texas has it's own unique identity, that is true, but that doesn't disinclude it from being a part of the south. it may not look like the stereotypical southern state, but most of Texas has more in common with Georgia than it does with Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, etc.

everyone will have their own perception on this issue and it will be debated until the end of time. all I know is that the Texas I've known for the past 20+ years is undoubtedly the south

take a trip down to Oak Cliff, visit with some of the natives and then tell yourself that Dallas isn't the south.
Im talking culturally, not physical location, Im well aware of where Texas is physically located.

And I was referring to Texas in general, not specifically DFW.

I've lived in Houston, Dallas and Austin and moving to south carolina felt like being in a foreign country.

If you ever live in the true "Old South" you will quickly realize Texas shares nothing in common with them other than physical location.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-star View Post
Im talking culturally, not physical location, Im well aware of where Texas is physically located.

And I was referring to Texas in general, not specifically DFW.

I've lived in Houston, Dallas and Austin and moving to south carolina felt like being in a foreign country.

If you ever live in the true "Old South" you will quickly realize Texas shares nothing in common with them other than physical location.
FYI, I'm originally from the "Old South". my roots are in the Savannah River Valley, and my 30 years on earth have been split between there and Texas. whatever cultural differences exist are trivial at best. the only real contrast is the infrastructure/architecture.

I'd like to hear an example have something we have nothing in common with

maybe you're from a part of Texas where the southernness is somewhat dilluted or virtually phased out, but the Texas I'm familiar with this is very southern, and the southeast is no foreign country

Old 01-11-2011, 04:11 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,274 times
sweet tea? to me that mean a blueberry roibus.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM

131 posts, read 307,464 times
Thanks for the list of places that serve sweet tea, I'm gonna go right down the list till I find the best I was born and raised in SC, growing up I drank sweet tea out of my sippy cup so it's definitely foreign to me that it's so sparse here.

Lets see...over the past week and a half I've been to Breadwinners, Londoners, T.A.B.C, Boston Market, Sonny Bryan's BBQ, and a few others. Boston Market and Sonny Bryan's did have it, but those were the only two. Even Sonny Bryan's wasn't all that great. Can anyone recommend a really good BBQ place?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Good BBQ in this area: Hard Eight out in Irving/Coppell. They have sweet tea
http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

Dickey's BBQ and Spring Creek all have sweet tea as well. Their food is decent bbq. Nothing like Sticky Fingers or other SC joints though. The ONLY Sonny Bryan's I'll venture to is the one on Inwood.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmorgan7 View Post
I was born and raised in SC
When are you gonna have us all over for shrimp n grits
I'll bring the sweet tea

Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
My first experience with sweet tea was at Camp at Mt. Lebanon over by Cedar Hill. That is where I also learned about supersaturated solutions.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:13 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Mt. Lebanon -- we may have been there at the same time!

This story has a link to the BBQ blog:

Restaurant talk: Barbecue | Advocate Magazine

Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
ahhh my daughter is going there this weekend with her Chruch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas