U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:41 PM

15 posts, read 108,058 times

Advertisements

My husband has an opportunity for a promotion which would move us to Dallas and I'm wondering why I would even want to consider it. We lived in Little Rock for a year and I hated it. Too much racial stuff, no really good areas to live. We currently live in CA and the only reason I can even think of to move is better housing prices but we'd be renting for now.

He'd be making about 100K/year. How far is that really going to go there?

We have two kids 12 and 4 and one on the way so schools are very important and we don't want to be on top of our neighbors, so if I do consider it, where should we look to live?

So, what's good about Dallas and please tell me it's nothing like Little Rock.
Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM

16,092 posts, read 38,019,411 times
Welcome to Big D -- see this thread about my area - IMO the best place to live in Dallas: //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-lakewood.html

Old 07-17-2007, 04:23 PM

436 posts, read 1,254,772 times
You don't say where in CA you live. I've worked for companies that are headquartered in CA and have visited Northern and Southern Cal numerous times. Every time I go to CA, someone will suggest that I move there. The water! The mountains! Yes, the water and mountains are nice. But do people really visit them every weekend? I could go to CA for a long weekend once a month and still come out ahead monetarily. I'm stunned every time I go out there. How do people afford to live there? Seems like 100K wouldn't go far there at all especially with kids.

I would look at the suburbs. The Dallas school district is very urban and there are only two high schools where I would even consider sending kids if I had some (including the one that covers Lakewood). I don't know enough about elementary and middle schools. Check out Richardson, Plano, Lewisville, Highland Village, Frisco, McKinney, Rowlett, Carrollton around Dallas. Skip Irving. Check out Southlake, Keller and Coppell a bit further west. You may have look around if you want substantial land. The suburbs tend to have homes that are pretty close to each other. The older homes have bigger yards for the most part than some of the homes built in, say, the 90's or later.

I've spent very little time in Little Rock so I really can't compare/contrast Dallas and Little Rock. I suppose we have racial divides here although I consider them minor. When compared to the talk radio I listen to when in LA, we don't have nearly the racial issues that LA and San Diego do. As I said though, I don't even know if you're from there. There are many nice areas in Dallas, Ft Worth and in between. And compared to the metro areas of CA, housing is very affordable. I have to tell you, I was shocked when I found out how high the average home price is in Sacramento. Sorry, Ahnuld, I've never considered Sacramento to be ultradesirable.

I wouldn't move just for a lower cost of living. For a promotion in a good place to live? Sure! Many people have relocated here over the years due to company relocations, etc. I'm hard pressed to think of many people I know who left Dallas other than for a subsequent relocation.

When I attend grad school in Michigan in the 90's, people honestly thought Dallas was like the show "Dallas" and that I had a horse and lived on a ranch. Yes, even in the 90's. Uh, no, that's not us.

So check us out. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 56,435 times
You could have a good life in the Dallas area with that salary if you can stand the weather.

I lived there (moved from MN) for a little over a year and couldn't stand the weather. It's either unbearably hot or dreary and raining.

We then transferred to Boston and now are being transferred back to Dallas.

I look forward to the cost of living but not to the climate.

The people in Dallas are a bit peculiar. I am from the midwest where people greet and welcome a new neighbor. Most of my neighbors from the first time I lived there kept to themselves in their air conditioned comfort and never bothered introducing themselves unless they needed something.

I also found that while some people in TX are taught to be polite, I felt it was not genuine.

If you like to shop, there's plenty of that. the north Dallas area is still developing at a rapid pace, unlike the rest of the country.

If you can get over the "class" differences and weather, it's bearable.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:46 PM

16,092 posts, read 38,019,411 times
We have a welcome wagon committee in Lakewood - where did you live that the people were so unfriendly?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:48 PM

We live north of Fresno, actually in the foothills and have the mountains in our backyard right now. We're on 13 acres and other than the fact that it's hot, we really like were we are but my husband is really interested in this promotion. I'm just trying to figure out what's there and why I would want to and how I would convince my 12yo daughter.

The racial issues in this area are minimal, of course there is no diversity where we are, pretty much a rural area, my daughter's school is about 90%white and I would actually like her to experience more diversity. She's a straight A student, smart as can be and her education is very important to us but she's also pretty naive and I don't know how she would handle herself in an urban environment. She went to private schools until we moved here and found a good public school but it's small. So that's a big concern for me.

Cost of living isn't too bad, we pay about 1500/month for a 4 bd on the 13 acres but we're getting a pretty good deal and we're about 50 minutes out of the city.

I don't really have any ideas of Dallas, my only experience in the south is Little Rock and that was a bad one.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:50 PM

6,584 posts, read 23,700,241 times
We also have a welcome wagon that the [voluntary] homeowners association does. And on my street specifically, we welcome newbies to the point we are probably overwhelming, boarding on intrusive. We just like to know who are neighbors are. I live in Dallas proper.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM

14,872 posts, read 39,057,541 times
"Check out Richardson, Plano, Lewisville, Highland Village, Frisco, McKinney, Rowlett, Carrollton around Dallas. Skip Irving. Check out Southlake, Keller and Coppell a bit further west."

Actually I'd skip Rowlett and Carrollton too for many reasons. I grew up in Carrollton and just moved my parents out of there this last week (FINALLY!!! And as my dad said, "out of the barrio" and they lived in Far North Carrollton). I also lived in Rowlett. If your coming from California and you hated Little Rock these are two places you are going to want to avoid for numerous reasons. Anything you want to know about these two places I can tell you from firsthand experience. Then if your wanting to be in an area where there is more space between homes somewhere like Frisco or McKinney is not going to appeal to you and many of the newer areas of Plano.

First off though you need to consider WHERE in the Dallas area your husbands job is located. You don't want to live in say Rockwall if his job is on the Irving/Las Colinas/Valley Ranch side of Dallas.

As for how easy it would be to live on $100K a year, NO PROBLEM. That is of course as long as you don't go overboard . I'm sure you have heard we have high property taxes (Rowlett being one of the highest in all of Dallas County) so take that into consideration. Your not going to want to sell a house in California for $600K and buy one in the Dallas area for the same amount and not expect to be hit w/ taxes anywhere in the range of $15K-$20K.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:59 PM

2,395 posts, read 8,021,719 times
Also, I (and many others here) strongly recommend a 6-month stay in an apartment or rental house prior to buying a home. The appreciation on a home here is way lower than CA, so don't worry about having to be in the market immediately. That way, you can find out about the many, many different areas here - it's really amazing how different a place just 2 miles away can be! Get out and explore, then determine if you like TX - and which area you want to look for a home in. Dip the toe first.

Brian

Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 PM

I guess I should move this to the Ft. Worth board, I just looked up where he would be working and it's actually in Ft. Worth. Is there that much of a difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas