Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It seemed to me mm4 is trying to suggest that the rail merely serves the outskirts of destination instead going through them. Of course, this goes with the fact of DART's less than stellar alignment so I was confused to why mm4 would say something negative about DART.
Cost/benefit. It still hits the centers of many.

We could compare with Houston, but Houston doesn't have anything beyond a single street line LRT stopped with red traffic lights. And DFW will extend commuter rail to Intercontinental and The Woodlands before Houston does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
haha yeah i just pick on you on purpose

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM

333 posts, read 639,108 times
Is your name in reference to the rapper or movie?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM

229 posts, read 607,020 times
Will Smith is my favorite person of all time. Mancrush.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
Is your name in reference to the rapper or movie?
The best rapper alive.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 PM

333 posts, read 639,108 times
I can get down with that

Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Cost/benefit. It still hits the centers of many.
Translation: DART did things the easy instead of the right way.

Quote:
We could compare with Houston, but Houston doesn't have anything beyond a single street line LRT stopped with red traffic lights. And DFW will extend commuter rail to Intercontinental and The Woodlands before Houston does.
LOL. Keep on trying to bring Houston down in order prop up Dallas. It's amusing.

But you are right on one account, it's hard to compare Houston. Houston's one single ~7 mile line carries half the riders as DART currently does with 1/10 the track. Houston is building urban rail, DART built hybrid rail. Hard to compare.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
LOL. Keep on trying to bring Houston down in order prop up Dallas. It's amusing.
Hmm. We're not on Houston's board ragging and digging.

Quote:
Houston's one single ~7 mile line carries half the riders as DART currently does with 1/10 the track. Houston is building urban rail, DART built hybrid rail. Hard to compare.
According to the Houston Press:
"Ridership numbers for the rail have steadily declined since the rail line first opened to huge crowds. During the first year, about 10 million people got on board, but over the past four years, according to Metro documents, rail has averaged between 2 and 3 million people each year. Bus service has also seen a sharp decline in ridership."
Train Wreck - Page 4 - News - Houston - Houston Press
If you divide 365 into even the less conservative 3 million annual ridership figure reported there, the Main St. line avgs. only around 8219 riders per day.

But according to METRO's FY2010 Year End Financial & Management Report the annual ridership on the line was 10,627,331, which translates into an avg. 29115 riders per day.

(The ridership on any given Boston Green Line, of 4, today avgs. over 53000/day. And in FY 2008, DART avg'd. 26627/day per each of 2 lines it had open 2 years ago.)

I've purposely extrapolated avgs. per line, not totals aggregated over all lines. I did this to simplify an illustrative breakdown of avg. ridership per individual line in other systems as compared to the one extant line in Houston. (Boston has four actual individual 'Green Lines', not one. BTW, WHDH TV Boston, a source I didn't use, reports that Green Line ridership is 236,000 riders per day.)

The DART figure my per-line extrapolation is predicated upon is from FY 2008, officially; in two years hence even those two lines may or may not have gained some ridership. (The Green, the system's third, came on line in 2010 and is thus not represented in the FY 2008 inventory.)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:

"Ridership numbers for the rail have steadily declined since the rail line first opened to huge crowds. During the first year, about 10 million people got on board, but over the past four years, according to Metro documents, rail has averaged between 2 and 3 million people each year. Bus service has also seen a sharp decline in ridership."
If you divide 365 into even the less conservative 3 million annual ridership figure reported there, the Main St. line avgs. only around 8219 riders per day.

But according to METRO's FY2010 Year End Financial & Management Report the annual ridership on the line was 10,627,331, which translates into an avg. 29115 riders per day.

(The ridership on any given Boston Green Line, of 4, today avgs. over 53000/day. And in FY 2008, DART avg'd. 26627/day per each of 2 lines it had open 2 years ago.)

I've purposely extrapolated avgs. per line, not totals aggregated over all lines. I did this to simplify an illustrative breakdown of avg. ridership per individual line in other systems as compared to the one extant line in Houston. (Boston has four actual individual 'Green Lines', not one. BTW, WHDH TV Boston, a source I didn't use, reports that Green Line ridership is 236,000 riders per day.)

The DART figure my per-line extrapolation is predicated upon is from FY 2008, officially; in two years hence even those two lines may or may not have gained some ridership. (The Green, the system's third, came on line in 2010 and is thus not represented in the FY 2008 inventory.)

The figure taken from Houston METRO's own publication is 10,627,331 Main St. riders for FY 2010. If you write something else suggests 12,629,000 then our numbers are at odds.
Instead of fooling around with this, why don't you just use this site: Ridership Report

Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Well if you would stick to reality and stop sputtering incorrect things people wouldn't have step in and correct you. Furthermore, I'm acknowledging both cities' strengths and weaknesses but you just being a Dallas homer.

Quote:

Ok.... You forgot to mention how METRO's top leaders were essentially incompetent and crooked throughout this past decade. It was within the last year that we cleaned house.

Both DART and METRO has seen overall system declines in ridership and rail ridership between 2000-2010.

Looky, I can post a similar article about DART's declining ridership and revenue that was posted a month prior to yours:

DART ridership and revenue fall; complaints rise[Dallas Morning News]

So wake up realize that both systems are mediocre as they currently exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas