Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,121 times

Advertisements

Both are great areas. Don't count out Coppell and Grapevine too. If you are looking for schools, Coppell, Southlake, and Flower Mound are all excellent. Grapevine is good, but not quite as good as those above and Irving/Las Colinas schools aren't great.

Flower Mound will get you large lot sizes. Not sure about Southlake. Coppell has very small lots for the most part, but you might find something good in your price range. Check out west Flower Mound if you want land.

The commute from all of these areas to DFW is easy, except for the current construction near 114/121, but it is going to affect your commute no matter what, unless you are going from Coppell to Irving.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 01-24-2011 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: realtor recommendations not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,186 times
Big fan of FM, it's a great town, no wait, it's a fantastic town to raise a family. Southlake is too, but very pricey, believe it or not your budget will get you something, but you will be considered on the lower end of the spectrum as far as what is available in SL. Southlake and FM has nice lots size, I think Southlake has larger lots in general though, and should since it's so pricey.

Southlake has a great town square, awesome amenities overall. FM is similar but a little quieter, with a beautiful town square (that wasn't as successful as SL) and great shopping and neighborhoods. Both these towns and their urban planning is top notch. FM also has a fantastic project brewing (the Riverwalk) and if it takes off it will make the town even better.

You're on the right track if you want the burbs, these towns are very nice, can't go wrong. One last thing, since you mentioned resale in your OP..Not sure where you are coming from, but resale values in most of DFW are not like some other places in the US. They tend to hold steady, which is great, but they don't increase as significantly as you might think. There are alot of reasons for this, so ask your Realtor about it. Overall though, less volatility than some other places in the country.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
and frankly if you would be moving/transferred within 4-5 yrs you might be better off just renting

Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM

116 posts, read 418,068 times
Probably from Southlake, Grapevine and Colleyville. I would choose Southlake, Colleyville and Grapevine as last option according to our needs and preferences.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM

16 posts, read 40,571 times
Great info from everyone. Thank you sooo much. Our latest stint was in Chicago (I'm from the Southeast, however) and we lost a WHOLE WHOLE WHOLE lot of money on our house when we sold it. The market there is very very bad. I'm glad to hear the DFW market is less volatile. I pray it stays this way and just hasn't caught up to the DFW area (please please no). We think we'll be in DFW quite a while. I'm sure I will have more questions as we start looking. Thank you!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Unless something major happens, DFW will have the best economy in the US for the next 20 years. Our housing market (which many Newbies don't understand) has been steady, strong and in balance.

As our population continues to grow we should have a good market on homes. We are at a point where DFW is so huge, inner city areas should grow in price and demand.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:06 PM

16 posts, read 40,571 times
We were in Chicago the last 5years. Construction literally stopped in 2008. Screeching halt! All of a sudden things just stopped. Construction didn't taper off...it stopped. I have to say, when we visited Dallas for a week in December all the construction was music to my ears. It was everywhere. After living where the economy has been bad for the past few years I will never never complain about road construction & the noise of homes being built & hammered on at 6am : ) When we were given the opportunity to leave Chicago and come back south I was thrilled. Especially seeing the construction activity in DFW. That's a great sign & It's very refreshing. TX seems to be doing just fine ; )

Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
don't go overboard about how great the housing/construction market is in DFW area
there are plenty of areas where homes a stagnant on the market based on how quickly they moved before the crunch in 08--
local/independent builders might not have gone completely out of business but many of the high-end/custom-home builders have had houses sit long enough on the market that they went into foreclosure
there are plenty of neighborhoods where new construction is going on and people can't sell a home on the re-sale market for what they paid---
in the outlying suburbs there have been major numbers of foreclosures -- and not just in the houses under 150K
areas that never used to see foreclosures (like Colleyville and Southlake) have had their share--
there are more homes in 500K+ prices that are now on leasing-list (as well as MLS list)--because the market is soft and people had to move...

this area has just seen more people willing to stick on their prices and NOT lower them to fire-sale levels like Phoenix and Las Vegas and Miami area went to--and people have been moving into this area but many of them are not buying a home right away--they are leasing and waiting to see what the market does
right now the stock market is going up, mortgage rates are still low (comparetively), yet there is supposedly a glut of foreclosures still waiting to hit the list--
maybe not so many in this immediate area--but banks have been holding back declaring ALL their delinquent properties because they did not want to take the hit on their capitilization side--

also small retail construction/stip centers is another soft spot--check how many retail fronts are not leased in old or new developments
they might be building them still in areas like Frisco but there is plenty of vacant storespace all over the Metroplex...not a good sign...

Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
I do think things are really coming together for the city of Dallas - the stars are aligning and it will be one of the best 21st century cities in the world. Not without a few problems of course...

I wish people on city-data weren't always so hot on the new areas - that's going to cost you money if you buy a new house and sell it in the next 5-10 years. Too much competition just up the road with the latest bells and whistles. You could do much better in the city or more established suburbs - like HEB where loves2read lives or Garland and Richardson where mom and Big D Geek live...

Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I do think things are really coming together for the city of Dallas - the stars are aligning and it will be one of the best 21st century cities in the world. Not without a few problems of course...

I wish people on city-data weren't always so hot on the new areas - that's going to cost you money if you buy a new house and sell it in the next 5-10 years. Too much competition just up the road with the latest bells and whistles. You could do much better in the city or more established suburbs - like HEB where loves2read lives or Garland and Richardson where mom and Big D Geek live...
So many people, tho, do want jazzy newer homes that are energy efficient near convenient shopping. I love old city center homes and have owned a few. Plan on going true urban with the next move. But in old homes there are more maintenance issues. Maintenance and updating also dig into expenses. Parking at the in-city supermarkets is a complete jam. And, gotta say it, at city center stores you run into lots of unusual people, tats & piercing, gang bangers, etc. That might make newbies uncomfortable if they have kids in tow or are recent transplants used to suburban lifestyles. I read a lot of frustration and steering back into the city on this forum and understand that, in general, people really do love where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas