Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

the fact is that the growth of the outlying cities north of Dallas HAS brought new business into that area--
my husband had to go to Frisco some months ago to talk a deal with an independent o/g company that had set up offices in Frisco
a decade ago they would not have thought about renting space and doing businss out there vs downtown Dallas or even Plano--everyone there (relatively small company) was living within 15 mn of the office probably...and they wanted Frisco new/Frisco "aura"/Frisco schools apparently

so for some people it might be possible to be in an outlying suburb and be close w/o a big commute--
which is what many people are tied to

look at what JC Penney headquarters and others in the Frisco/Plano area have brought--
huge employers--
there are some nice neighborhoods around there--Legacy is thriving shopping/entertainment area--there are others
admittedly it might not be that walkable a lifestyle--but honestly most people in TX aren't looking for that anyway--we know how hot it is even in early June and have no desire to "walk" anywhere but from the car to whatever A/C place we are going...

I live in Mid-Cities area and there are plenty of people that are "unusual" that I see when I go to Northeast Mall or my local Lowe's or a movie theater--
even Southlake Town Center can have some "iffy looking" people parking/shopping
and if you want to see "tats" check out any professional football or basketball player--so that is not all about the economic level of the individual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM

16 posts, read 40,566 times
We've lived in urban Chicago, true suburbia in a few southern cities and a semi rural area in the Smoky Mtns. For the past few months we've been staying at our "winter" home 40 miles from any walmart or grocery store & 90 miles from a decent mall. After experiencing these areas, I prefer "urban light" (and we both want convenience to the basics-grocery, mall,) Meaning an older home w/ large trees and a truly established neighborhood, updated, & in close proximity to the city, like on the edge....like Mstreets or University Park area, even a tad further north than that is much to my liking. There's character, convenience and less of a cookie cutter atmosphere. That's my fear with Southlake. I'm sure Southlake is a great area, it's beautiful. We've lived in an area similar to Southlake before. We had young kids & the large home, excellent schools so it was fine then. I'm not so sure now. My DH really wants to be close to the airport & his office. And understand that and I want him to be happy too. He would do the long commute but he's always done the long commute. Plus, as much as he's out of town he's afraid of the upkeep on a older home. He loves Southlake. He really likes Las Colinas too. And then FM, Clolleyville....I still haven't decided my favorites yet. Our hope is to use a few months to figure it out. We aren't rushed to get in a school which was always the driving force in the past so that relieves us of some pressure. DFW has so many great areas and options it's a lot to take in. (Lastly, a good golf course is essential too ; ) )

Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Actually at my 'center-city stores' I'm running into some insufferable yuppies! For example, Whole Foods when it was on Greenville was a bit more boho, now that it's in Lakewood Shopping Center I am seeing a different crowd.

I've had to assure some of the store clerks and cashiers that if somebody is being snooty to them, they probably aren't natives.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Lakewooder-Can you tell me more about Lakewood? I've seen it referenced on other forums. Thanks

Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I think I hear chortling from the other posters..

Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 AM

Was that a bad question? I'm interested in LC toooo : ) We're actually staying in LC in temp housing while we hunt the 'burbs and LC. Is it too expensive, too inexpensive? We'd like to spend 400-600k but if we're absolutely 100% in mad mad loove somewhere we'd be willing to go 700, 800.....Is it too far from airport and LC? Thank you!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
you need to be realistic about drive time--
if your husband wants to be close to work and to the airport then LC makes the most sense--and there are some nice older areas in the Las Colinas/north Irving area
makes more sense than living in part of Dallas and fighting traffic every day--
even if the rail line was in--would it be in right location for your husband's job???

I have tried to get home to Mid Cities after an afternoon movie at the Angelika on Mockingbird--
it takes an hour sometimes if I am leaving around 4 pm and the traffic is heavy
getting to DFW airport from the M Streets is just not as easy as some people might say--
or getting home from flying in at 6 pm

have you husband leave his job at normal time and drive to some house you see on MLS in Lakewood or M street area or whereever you say house you liked in Dallas--
do it on separate occasions and try different routes
and then go over that way early in the morning--and drive that way to work
that is only fair way to make that choice

we considered buying in Aledo, north Keller east of I35 around 114, and even north in Argyle area--one trip up I-35 from downtown FTW where my husband works was enough to tell him he did not want north Keller or Argyle--je wanted nothing to do with I35...
and 30 he knew would be at least a 35-40 min trip the further from the freeway we were

Old 01-25-2011, 02:53 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Since a golf course is essential, let me suggest Trophy Club to the list. Particularly Hogan's Glen and The Knoll. They are all custom homes, many on the golf course and have mature landscaping.

Naima

Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
you need to be realistic about drive time--
if your husband wants to be close to work and to the airport then LC makes the most sense--and there are some nice older areas in the Las Colinas/north Irving area
makes more sense than living in part of Dallas and fighting traffic every day--
even if the rail line was in--would it be in right location for your husband's job???

I have tried to get home to Mid Cities after an afternoon movie at the Angelika on Mockingbird--
it takes an hour sometimes if I am leaving around 4 pm and the traffic is heavy
getting to DFW airport from the M Streets is just not as easy as some people might say--
or getting home from flying in at 6 pm

have you husband leave his job at normal time and drive to some house you see on MLS in Lakewood or M street area or whereever you say house you liked in Dallas--
do it on separate occasions and try different routes
and then go over that way early in the morning--and drive that way to work
that is only fair way to make that choice

we considered buying in Aledo, north Keller east of I35 around 114, and even north in Argyle area--one trip up I-35 from downtown FTW where my husband works was enough to tell him he did not want north Keller or Argyle--je wanted nothing to do with I35...
and 30 he knew would be at least a 35-40 min trip the further from the freeway we were
This is EXCELLENT advice!! With so many good places to live all over DFW, there is absolutely no reason to have a horrible long commute. In addition to the time, also remember the fuel costs, tires, and extra maintenance on your car.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM

225 posts, read 518,753 times
Lakewooder asked me to fill you in on Lakewood to try to give you a less biased view of the area as he has never seen a question about Lakewood that he didn't like!

To answer your question on Lakewood,

It is consistently brought up as a fairly unpretentious area where many of the residents move in to stay. There is very much a pride of home ownership and an appreciation for not “being like the others” so to speak. I lived in the M streets, Greenland Hills (a neighborhood very close to Lakewood) for a stint while working on an investment project and very much enjoyed the “local” feel of the restaurants and hang outs down there ~ like Times Ten cellar being a pretty good poster example in my opinion. The price point is at a place though where you have to pay to play, and though that comes with its own set of challenges, it's not a bad thing.

This area promotes walkability if that is something that interests you. That kind of thing is good for Lakewooder if he has had a bit too much to drink at the Times Ten Celler so it can be a win-win. I on the other hand prefer to drive and as a Realtor, it’s where I spend quite a bit of my time driving all over kingdom come.

The culture of a place like Lakewood is going to be different then what you will find in the suburbs. It sounds like new might be of interest to you along with the more efficient construction perks that come with it, just a guess, maybe it isn't. You’ll have to narrow down your areas before you can find the next home you live in. One of the nice things about this being a buyer’s market right now is that there is more choice out there than ever. In a different market, you might have to settle for something you are just ok with, but don’t love. In this kind of market, you might find 6 or 7 houses you could see yourself in and make an offer on your favorite knowing the power lies in your hands as you have back ups if the seller is not willing to come down to market value for you.

Ryan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas