Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoTX View Post
We ALMOST bought an AW. We looked at Horton, Mercedes, Buescher, Ryland, Grand and more. AW was the best of that bunch (IMO). However, we liked liked Highland in Stonebridge Ranch, and felt they were "a cut above" most of the other builders we looked at. Also, the developments in SBR seem to have less for sale signs then in Grayhawk, Panther Creek or Willow Bay. Again imo
SBR is far more stable than the areas you mentioned in Frisco. Those areas you mentioned also have alot of rentals and a high foreclosure rate. SBR also will be built out in 18 months, so that will help resale.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:48 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
And buying a mercedes doesn't make you a smarter consumer...just someone who likes to waste money on a car to impress others. The hyundai owner is probably that person that is referred to as the "millionaire next door". Most people cannot afford a drees/darling home. And some who do purchase those homes are barely making ends meet....just like the person who drives a mercedes...to make it LOOK like she/he is successful. Living in a modest neighborhood and buying a modest quality home from Centex is the best decision I have ever made....and I am a well paid professional..I choose not to follow the Joneses...I would also never buy a Mercedes!

Your making alot of generalizations about people that buy and own nice things; I know some millionares and they don't drive beaters as alluded to in the book everyone refers to "The Millionare Next Door"; they also don't pay off their mortgages early as that book mentions either. Some things are nicer than others, and you typically pay more for those things. Some things are good enough and display a better play on value. Some things are cheap and are enough to get buy. What's nice is that we have a range of choices when buying. I like nicer cars myself not only because they drive ALOT better, but they also hold their resale better. Resale is key for me on just about everything I purchase over $100. For some, they just drive inexpensive cars till the wheels fall out, and I don't knock people that think like that, it's just different from my own thinking.

And by the way, I love what Hyundai has done as a company. For inexpensive cars, I think they stand apart from the rest of the crowd with regards to quality and comittment to their product. They are today what Toyota was in the 80s.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:31 PM

15 posts, read 104,030 times
Default Hmmm...doesn't sound right

I'm not trying to make light of your situation here but I think you are confused. I do know Ashton Woods does not build condos. I think you may be mistaken with another builder. I would be interested to find out where your community is located.
The best way to determine the reputation of a builder locally is to contact realtors and ask them about their thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvs12 View Post
You need to be a lawyer if you're daring enough to buy from this builder because you will have to file suit! Mold has been in 50% of the units Ashton Woods has built in our development. They do not disclose the level of damage and try to sweep things under the rug. The next step is to leave you high and dry with product that can not be sold.

I have been in my condo for almost a year. The original buyer. We have curbs crumbling, gutters leaking, water pooling, rusting railings, busted doors, and numerous interior pipe leaks (one took 6 months to fix). The plumber on a few calls noted I was missing parts on a brand new fixture. I'm trying not to sound too crazy here but email me at rvs12@aol.com and I will send pictures. Judge for yourself but either don't move or keep renting.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:57 PM

18 posts, read 53,111 times
Drees builds a good home. Honestly, as an appraiser, I have been more satisfied with their finish-out, etc than comparable builders.

However...if you are buying a new home, just be aware that with all the concessions that builders are offering, you will be updside down for at least 3 years, or for as long as the builder is in the development. You cannot compete with a builder if you have to sell in a year or two. A LOT of people have found that out.

Don't go in without a real estate agent. Doesn't cost you any more (it's built into the builder's profit margin). Also, if you think the cost is too high, ask your agent to run a sales comparison for you. Finally, you can pick up a 2-year old home for a great savings in the same subdivision as the new home, and is a better deal...unless you like the new-home smell.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
FINISHOUT has little to do with quality and lots to do with marketing--granite, molding, two colors of paint, stainless steel appliances, --that is finish out
More-than-minimum insulation, proper foundation design and construction, window installation, proper sheathing and waterproofing, correct plumbing installations, quality HVAC calculations and installations--traits like using screws and nails instead of just nails for sheetrock and 2nd floor flooring installation --using 3/4 in plywood instead of 1/2 inch OSB exterior sheathing--that is quality building--
FINISHOUT does not really enter any of that hidden construction which is responsible for the true QUALITY of construction--
saying that an inspector approves of Drees because of homes' finishout just smacks of surface appearance (does it look like I got what I paid for) instead of quality construction....

Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 PM

100 posts, read 425,819 times
I owned an aw home in windermere fl I was happy with my home .ALSO AW DOES BUILD CONDS THERE'S SOME ON 535 IN WINDERMERE FL .I would say you just gotta be careful when you buy any home imho

Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 PM

15 posts, read 104,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillynilly View Post
I owned an aw home in windermere fl I was happy with my home .ALSO AW DOES BUILD CONDS THERE'S SOME ON 535 IN WINDERMERE FL .I would say you just gotta be careful when you buy any home imho
I thought we were talking about Dallas. AW Homes does not build condos in Dallas.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 9,674 times
If you want to buy from Ashton Woods in Sage Creek, Wylie, TX be aware of the sales person there. After contract sign, you will need an appointment to talk to the sales person. Before the contract sign, you don't need an appointment to meet him.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,650 times
nightmare in houston area but told I can't go into detail on this site.

Hope you had good luck,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas