U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 PM

114 posts, read 206,049 times

Advertisements

Just trying to know all our options for our upcoming move to Dallas. From our research so far, my husband is leaning towards UP, while I'm leaning towards Lakewood. But I thought I'd ask some questions about North Dallas before I completely rule it out.

Are there any exemplary elementary schools in this area (DISD)? We missed the deadlines for applications to privates this year, and there's a good chance my 7yr old daughter would be in public several years, depending on the private school situation. Are all the middle schools and high schools in this area a no go?

Based on this forum, I feel I have a good idea of the "culture" of UP and Lakewood. what is North Dallas like? Is there any community, or is it the kind of place where because all the kids go to different schools, you don't really know your neighbor? What is the commute to downtown Dallas, where my husband will be working?

If we were to live in Lakewood and do a private school in North Dallas, what kind of a "commute" would that be?

Thanks for any help you can give me....there's a lot to this moving thing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM

12,882 posts, read 25,700,243 times
I'll try to break it down:

SCHOOLS:
Yes, most of the Preston Hollow/ North Dallas area elementary schools are rated exemplary: Kramer, Nathan Adams, Degoyler, Withers, Walnut Hill, and Preston Hollow elementary schools are all in that general area between Midway/75/ Northwest Highway/ 635 and are all rated Exemplary.

I think you're perfectly fine putting a kid in any of those schools and then going private for middle & high school. Also, WT White is the other "Woodrow" hs in DISD...no one ever wants to move to North Dallas/ PH on these boards (not representative of the Dallas real estate market OR desirable neighborhoods in real life AT ALL) so we don't ever talk about it, but WT White is a VERY VERY good coprehensive, college-prep public HS in DISD. It is the highest rated compreshensive (non-magnet) high school in DISD- Recognized, the state's second highest ranking behind Exemplary. Woodrow Wilson is rated Acceptable, for comparisson.

WT White is actually ranked far ahead of Woodrow Wilson in the Newsweek Best High School ratings:
1 Talented and Gifted (DISD)
4 Science/Engineering Magnet (DISD)
38 Highland Park (HPISD)
114 Booker T. Washington School for the Performing and Visual Arts (DISD)
154 Judge Barefoot Sanders Magnet Center for Public Service (DISD)
222 School of Business and Management (DISD)
303 White (DISD)
333 Hillcrest (DISD)
436 Woodrow Wilson (DISD)

The average SAT score @ White is 1073 (1600 pt rating scale vs the new 2400 pt) for the White/Non-Hispanic demographic (presumably the bulk of which are the wealthier neighborhood kids....same thing as in Lakewood).
Locally, that compares to:
1206 for Highland Park HS (best public HS in Dallas- for comparisson)
1100 for Woodrow Wilson HS (white)
1340-1530 mid 50% range for St Mark's School of Texas (boys)
1200-1480 mid 50% range for Hockaday School (girls)
1200-1400 mid 50% range for Episcopal School of Dallas (coed)

COMMUNITY
First, here are some links to D Magazine articles about some of the smaller neighborhoods within North Dallas/ Preston Hollow. Some articles are a few years old, so you may need to ignore the real estate prices as they have certainly fluctuated, but the stories and neighborhood descriptions are great:
D Home : Neighborhood Spotlight: Jan Mar
D Home : Neighborhood Spotlight: Russwood Acres
D Home : Neighborhood Spotlight: Midway Hollow

As for the community, yes, there is one. It is not as centered around the schools as Lakewood because kids do go to many different schools.....although there are a TON more signs in yards supporting the local elementary schools now than say 10 years ago.

Tons of neighborhood shopping "villages" - at Preston & Forest, Preston & Royal, Midway & Northwest Highway. Stop by and you'll get a feel for the residents and their stores, restaurants, etc. Plus, Galleria & NorthPark malls are very close by for shopping.

There are TONS of churches & synagogues in the area if you are religious. Most have thriving family & kid programs.

JCC of Dallas - JCC has a ton of great kids activities (sports fields, summer camps, after school activities) even if you're not Jewish.

OVERALL:
I personally LOVE the sprawling ranch homes of the 1950's in North Dallas. Love the little area north of Royal and west of Hillcrest called Jan-Mar. Creeks, wildlife (bobcats & other animals are spotted there from time to time), rolling hills, many homes have .5+ acre lots....just gorgeous!!! And Kramer Elementary is right there in the neighborhood. Here are some homes currently on the market & neighborhood "snapshots":

Moderator cut: no copyrighted images, no listings from other than realtor.com

COMMUTE:
Commute from North Dallas/ Preston Hollow to downtown is maybe 15-20 minutes.

Commute from Lakewood to a North Dallas private school & back to Lakewood would take around 50-60 minutes round-trip. Lakewood is very far east compared to ESD, Hockaday, etc. St Mark's (boys) is a little more centrally located.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-19-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,310,571 times
There are alos some areas of Far North Dallas that are zoned Plano schools. We have friends who live in that area and they are real happy with the schools, commute etc....

Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM

12,882 posts, read 25,700,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
There are alos some areas of Far North Dallas that are zoned Plano schools. We have friends who live in that area and they are real happy with the schools, commute etc....

Could be wrong, but I doubt someone whose interest is piqued by Lakewood and PH is going to look in FND. FND is a completely different animal than ND....might as well just move to Plano and get a bit of a tax break in CoCo.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks so much for the invaluable information! This will be so helpful for when we do our visit.

I do feel strongly about staying within Dallas vs. the outer suburbs. We live in an "outer suburb" in the NyC metrroplex, and I'm looking for something different than what we live now....tired of driving 25 minutes to anything. I must admit I'll miss the rolling hills and covered bridges, but not shoveling snow!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,422,167 times
BellaO.
We live in Lakewood and DD goes to a private school near Preston and 635. Our commute is reverse-traffic and takes about 20-25 minutes or so. The biggest part of that drive is getting north and east to 75. In the afternoons, the drive home is about 15-20 minutes. We also live in the bottom SE corner of Lakewood so you could shave a few minutes if you were further north.

One thing I really like about Dallas is that there are several ways to get where you want to go. I have atleast 6 different ways I can take DD to school so if one way is backed up, you just choose a different street. In comparision, when we lived in Houston, there was usually one-way-in-one-way-out.

Good luck with your move. There is a super nice new house on my street for sale - come on by!!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:51 AM

16,086 posts, read 39,052,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
One thing I really like about Dallas is that there are several ways to get where you want to go. I have atleast 6 different ways I can take DD to school so if one way is backed up, you just choose a different street. In comparision, when we lived in Houston, there was usually one-way-in-one-way-out.
Excellent point. This is something we who live in town are always trying to explain to the new people, especially the suburb and exurb people. They and many visitors only see freeways and tollways.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,510,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Could be wrong, but I doubt someone whose interest is piqued by Lakewood and PH is going to look in FND. FND is a completely different animal than ND....might as well just move to Plano and get a bit of a tax break in CoCo.
I wouldn't be so sure.

First, that area is in Collin County. You do get hit with City of Dallas taxes vs City of Plano, but the other line items are the same as in Plano.

Second, the commute time for that southern part of PISD, in particular the area that lies in Bent Tree, isn't bad at all. From there, you can be south of 635 in 5-10 minutes.

Third, since many people buy there specifically to attend PISD and avoid DISD, most of the kids will be in the local public schools.

Finally, not all the houses there are the stereotypical blah CoCo homes. You're got a a sizable number of houses in the $500k+ range, even into the $1M and beyond, including quite a few with contemporary design. The homes along White Rock Creek in that area are $$$$.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM

16,086 posts, read 39,052,409 times
Of course I hope you save your money and choose the public schools in Lakewood ($20 million of renovations and a 40,000 square foot addition for Woodrow - and Long are about to start - school board authorized contract signing last night) but I have a little info on the high school redesign implementation in North Dallas.

Hillcrest is offering a STEM academy and IT pathway
W.T. White is offering academies of Engineering, Visual and Performing Arts, Business Administration and Finance and IT pathway

I know you probably are not considering the Thomas Jefferson cluster (however many professional types have their kids in the elementaries) but they are offering several academies including an Asian Studies pathway..

Of course since were are now going school choice in high school you don't have to necessarily live in the districts to apply (but attendance zone kids are given priority)..

I was at the Woodrow IB session on Tuesday and I think I convinced a parent to choose Woodrow's STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) over the one at Hillcrest. There's another session at our school at 6:30 pm on February 8th.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:45 PM

is Long going to offer a pre IB program of some sort?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>