Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 29,054 times

Advertisements

Hello All, trying to get a mortgage and have two options to avoid the pesky PMI without putting 20% down. I am unable to write off PMI due to AGI limits. Does anyone know pros and cons of each and which is better option. Lender is adding 0.5% to my rate as LPMI another lender is offering piggyback 2nd Loan at 8.25%, both end up with same monthly payment pretty much. Thanks !

Last edited by DFW_Success; 01-27-2011 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: wrong forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Success View Post
Hello All, trying to get a mortgage and have two options to avoid the pesky PMI without putting 20% down. I am unable to write off PMI due to AGI limits. Does anyone know pros and cons of each and which is better option. Lender is adding 0.5% to my rate as LPMI another lender is offering piggyback 2nd Loan at 8.25%, both end up with same monthly payment pretty much. Thanks !
Not the "creative financing" answer you're looking for, but the best option is to suck it up and put 20% down. If you don't have 20% to put down, you probably shouldn't be buying. You do realize there are areas in the DFW metroplex that have lost 20%+ in value since 2007, right? Are you confident they're at the bottom now? Do you have enough money in cash savings to pay for closing costs & broker's fees (10% of home's value) if you need to sell quickly?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not the "creative financing" answer you're looking for, but the best option is to suck it up and put 20% down. If you don't have 20% to put down, you probably shouldn't be buying. You do realize there are areas in the DFW metroplex that have lost 20%+ in value since 2007, right? Are you confident they're at the bottom now? Do you have enough money in cash savings to pay for closing costs & broker's fees (10% of home's value) if you need to sell quickly?

TurtleCreek80, I understand where you are coming from but this is actually not about having 20% down, but more about not tying my liquid assets down. I am simply trying to see which is a better option LPMI or Piggyback (80/15), putting just 5% down in each scenario. Thanks !

Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
would either one have more of negative effect on your credit rating than the other

does either one have a payback-early penalty that the other does not

what about if you sell the property within 5 yrs--is there penalty

Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
would either one have more of negative effect on your credit rating than the other

does either one have a payback-early penalty that the other does not

what about if you sell the property within 5 yrs--is there penalty

Not sure if either one affects credit more negatively than the other, hopefully I can get opinions on this as well.
No Payback early penaltly, there is however a ballon due in 15 years

Old 01-28-2011, 02:21 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,262 times
80/15. Must figure out plan to refi 2nd into 1st before balloon due! If you're looking for liquidity ease, this is the way to go. However, you must be careful w/ that 2nd note. It will eat into your liquidity quickly if you don't refi that piggy back way before being due.

I would always recommend the 20% down, but if you can swing a 2nd and you need liquidity this is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas