Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,732 times

Advertisements

I possibly might move from Southlake to the Wylie area, Seis Lagos community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:35 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
So you only want to be convinced that it's a good decision to do so, not hear both sides and make an informed decision?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,732 times
No, because friends of me have already told me the negatives of Wylie, so would like to see the positives.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I know a couple of familes who live in Wylie and they like it. There's no Keeping up with the Joneses going on. They like the schools. It almost has a country feel to it more than a suburban feel. It's cheaper than other areas. It has all of the youth sports and other activities.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 PM

501 posts, read 1,463,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUGRAD11 View Post
I possibly might move from Southlake to the Wylie area, Seis Lagos community.

I have some really good friends who live in Seis Lagos, it's a great community. Parts of the development are in the Lovejoy ISD which is a very good school district.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Nice neighborhood with an active HOA. Part of SL is in the city of Lucas and the rest in Wylie. Also as above poster said, split schools. The homes have large lots , custom builders, still a couple under construction and some lots too. Easy access to the Allen shopping. Get to know the back roads, country setting with the amenities not too far.

Naima

Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM

871 posts, read 2,690,142 times
I think Wylie is great, low COL, not too far from the metro. On top of that, you are looking at Seis Lagos, easily the best subdivision in Wylie. The homes are gorgeous, the lakes are great. Great especially for families.

You've heard negatives about Wylie, but what about Seis Lagos? I love that subdivision, but the only drawback is that the HOA forbids privacy fences if I am not mistaken (you should verify this if it matters). That's a dealbreaker to my wife, for example, who otherwise wouldn't mind moving from our current home in Wylie to Seis Lagos.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
I love that subdivision, but the only drawback is that the HOA forbids privacy fences if I am not mistaken (you should verify this if it matters).
This is still true. They allow iron fences but no wood fences. Even if you decide to put in a lot of landscaping to create a privacy, they are strict about the height. They want to keep the open space.

Naima

Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM

31 posts, read 96,770 times
We love the schools. 4-year high schools (9th - 12th), we prefer the 4A size over some of the 5A high schools in the area. WISD school district has managed growth exceptionally well. All schools are new or getting a face lift - those that are slightly older.

Band Program is outstanding. Students in band are a wonderful, diverse population of kids that are college bound, good kids.

Kids have opportunities to participate in some sports in the schools even if they have not been investing in select sports.

Opportunities for whatever your extra curricular activity is - academic, fine arts, sports. And there are non-college tracks at the high schools including a Culinary arts school and others.

We love the lack of traffic. Target, Lowes, Walmart, more stores being added, like the new Kohls. Firewheel shopping is 10 mins away.

We chose the area over others because we got more house for the $; over 4000 SF with SW Pool for about $300 K. And we got 4A size schools which to me translates to more opportunities for kids to excel in a chosen area. Plus, I grew up in a small town and appreciate the small town feel.

We do feel like some of the richer people in the Wylie area. Pros here - our kids definitely appreciate their family, what they have compared to what some of their friends have, and their friends come to our house A LOT, so I know the friends and I can keep up with what they are up to. And I drive them around a lot.

At the schools and in our neighborhoods, I do not see racial tension as indicated in other threads. I see a tremendous amount of racial diversity. I see a melting pot of races interacting and oblivious to racial differences or more likely poking fun at it (students) and even asking each other what their racial heritage is, because they are curious and accepting.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 PM

34 posts, read 171,924 times
Great Neighborhood, although technically, it's closer to Lucas than it is to Wylie.

It's a great neighborhood. We've lived there close to 10 years now. There are lots of community activities. When people downsize their home, they often buy another home in the same neighborhood. BTW, the neighborhood is 1/2 in Wylie district and 1/2 in Lovejoy. Yes, there's a strict association, but the reason most people are attacted to the neighborhood is the open feel (which is mainly due to the fence rule.
Take a look on spotcrime.com... you'll see that the area is very safe. It is also a guarded community with lifeguards at the pools, 6 stocked lakes plus tennis courts, clubhouse, etc. To me the dues are not expensive for what you get.
Plus the whole area is growing, but isn't drastically affecting the commute like it has been for those who are spreading further north. Honestly we spend quite a bit of our time in the allen/fairview/mckinney areas on the weekends -- it's about the same distance as Wylie.

We moved from Keller to there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas