Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 16,969 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

My fiancee and I are moving to Plano, TX in July. He is currently employed by Best Buy and will be employed by their service center in Flower Mound. I will be completing school this May. I will be graduating with a degree in Elementary Education and a Special Education endorsement.

I have been reading a lot about the issues with education in Dallas. I've looked on the Region 10 website, and there seem to be a lot of openings in the elementary schools.

I was just curious as to people's own experiences and insights into the education situation. I'm in need of a job since we are moving from NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:36 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
It will be very tough to find an elementary education position. Plano is one of the most sought-after school districts to work in, as are the surrounding areas. Garland might be hiring some, but it's nowhere near as nice.

Why Plano? It's not particularly close to Flower Mound.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Yeah. Why commute to Flower Mound from Plano?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM

The commute from Plano to Flower Mound was 20 minutes. We drove it. And because we're moving to a place unfamiliar to both of us, we felt most comfortable in Plano. I am originally from Texas but from Galveston so being north and inland is new to me.

To be honest, I'd prefer to work in what would be considered an "urban" school district. I wouldn't mind working in Dallas and not specifically in Plano or any of the other surrounding suburbs. I was just unsure as to what the job situation would be like.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Did you drive it during rush hour?

I'm not being mean...I live in Plano. My wife commutes to Lewisville and I commute to Denton. We live in West Plano right by the highways, and her job is right off of 35 near Hebron. Mornings aren't bad, but going home for her is at least 25 minutes (and that's closer than Flower Mound). She also leaves really early in the morning and comes home early - before traffic really gets ramped up. And unless you're ready to drop $300k+ on a home (which will be old, tiny, and crappy), you ain't living near these highways (GB and DNT).

I have a friend who works in the DISD system (high school teacher). The school is in an upscale Dallas neighborhood, but the kids are as 'urban' as you can get.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrutan View Post
The commute from Plano to Flower Mound was 20 minutes. We drove it.

When did you drive it, and when will he be driving it? 20 minutes might take you 2 or 3 miles in the morning.

The job situation is going to be tough no matter where. There are hundreds of applicants for every open position. A lot of the positions you see on Region 10 are already filled, they just have to interview a certain number of candidates for it.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
If he's going to be working in Flower Mound, why not live closer to it so he doesn't spend all of his time in the car, and all of his money on gas and tolls? Plano is NOT the only place to live here. There are plenty of great places to live in the western side of the DFW metroplex! Flower Mound itself is nice, and Lewisville is right next to it and has houses in most price ranges.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:36 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Do you speak Spanish?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 PM

Well, we're still young. I'm only 23 years old and so, we're not buying a house. We're looking to rent an apartment in the Plano area. And we actually went down for a visit in the beginning of January. His hours are not the usual 9-5. He works from 7-3. So I don't think that rush hour traffic will be such an issue for him..

Honestly, I'd prefer to be in an urban school district and I have been told that Dallas does have those schools. And as for the Spanish speaking question, I do speak Spanish as I grew up in the Galveston area. I do not have an ESL certification or a bachelor degree in Spanish.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:34 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
But your Spanish speaking skills may help you in certain school districts - Dallas, Richardson, Irving districts - even though there's no certification. Don't hide the fact you speak Spanish when applying and interviewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas