Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 AM

954 posts, read 1,543,142 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of ethnic/cultural diversity in the large Texas cities, but they aren't as diverse as what one sees in the NE and MW. What's missing are the large representations of Euro ethnics like Italians & Irish found in places like Chicago & Boston, but not so much in DFW and Houston.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,081,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
There's a lot of ethnic/cultural diversity in the large Texas cities, but they aren't as diverse as what one sees in the NE and MW. What's missing are the large representations of Euro ethnics like Italians & Irish found in places like Chicago & Boston, but not so much in DFW and Houston.
Texas cities don't have the type of ethnic enclaves that are in NE and MW cities, but those enclaves just segregate ethnicity so I'm not sure what you are trying brag about?

Just looking at the map of Dallas vs Chicago you can tell how Chicago has been a historically segregated city.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,538,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Historically, whites haven't segregated themselves by ethnicity outside the NE or MW. I'm a mix of eight European nationalities that I know of, and that's not really an uncommon thing here.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:57 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,799,270 times
Who cares! All the subject of diversity does it stir up conflict throughout the US anyway. Really, who freakin cares. People living amongst their own race is perfectly fine, provincial cities (like Boston used to be) are perfectly fine. Wanting to be with or near your own culture is fine. None of it means hoot in making a place better or a person better or a society more "progressive".

This is a very weak, and tired liberal argument that means absolutely nothing. We should focus less on diversity in terms of race, and more on diversity in terms of personal responsibility.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:05 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,935,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Who cares! All the subject of diversity does it stir up conflict throughout the US anyway. Really, who freakin cares. People living amongst their own race is perfectly fine, provincial cities (like Boston used to be) are perfectly fine. Wanting to be with or near your own culture is fine. None of it means hoot in making a place better or a person better or a society more "progressive".

This is a very weak, and tired liberal argument that means absolutely nothing. We should focus less on diversity in terms of race, and more on diversity in terms of personal responsibility.
As a liberal I agree. Diversity is treated like it's some sort of ultimate goal we must all aspire to. We should lower our own personal standards to promote it. I can think of many un-diverse societies that are doing just fine without it. Japan, Korea, Norway, Sweden, etc.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:27 PM

95 posts, read 211,073 times
Quote:

So what is going to be "their own type" when everyone is the color of coffee with cream and has wavy hair? Think of what Queens NY looks like...no one knows what the hell they have mixed inside. I would argue that most of us don't either. We look at how much pigmentation is in the outre layer of skin, and maybe hair texture, and make judgements on that. I am half Puerto Rican and half German, but I look 100% "white" whatever that means. My kids are that plus black and native american. Who knows what "neighborhood" they are supposed to live in. Maybe there should be one for "Questionmark-Americans" or "Cornucopia-Americans".

Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,799,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btheferrett View Post
So what is going to be "their own type" when everyone is the color of coffee with cream and has wavy hair? Think of what Queens NY looks like...no one knows what the hell they have mixed inside. I would argue that most of us don't either. We look at how much pigmentation is in the outre layer of skin, and maybe hair texture, and make judgements on that. I am half Puerto Rican and half German, but I look 100% "white" whatever that means. My kids are that plus black and native american. Who knows what "neighborhood" they are supposed to live in. Maybe there should be one for "Questionmark-Americans" or "Cornucopia-Americans".
"their own type" are you quoting me here? I don't remember saying that. Just sayin since it's in quotes. Quite honestly, I have no idea how to respond to what you just said, in fact I feel dumber now having read it. Sounds like your viewing this as some dichotomous battle between light and dark skin with dark skin taking over. Maybe I am mistaken, but if I understanding it correctly you are looking at this in terms of skin color, not my point. My point is primarily from a cultural point of view.

People should be able to live where they want without being made to feel like they are/aren't living into some diversity standard. If someone doesn't want to live in a place where there is a high concentration of minorities so be it, doesn't mean they have less of an open mind, they just made a conscious personal choice. Nothing wrong with that.

I often question the whole Melting Pot theory. I just think it is a little far-fetched to think that ethnic differences will magically amalgamate over time and some new and novel part of society will emerge from this forced ethnic synthesis. Seems foolish to me personally, I really think cultural differences particularly when you examine things anthropologically are just part of the human condition. With that said, we needn't waste our time with valuing statistics or worrying if we are "diverse" enough, we just need to work on ourselves individually and accept we are different, allowed to exist here peacefully and move on from there. Seems alot simpler to me.

Last edited by skids929; 03-14-2011 at 09:24 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,217,931 times
Thanks for sharing, that's a lot of cool numbers to crunch. I knew Dallas was diverse, but to be one of the most diverse is pretty cool.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,037,158 times
A lot of Italians and Greeks started out in my area and still live there - they only way they are really segregated from anyone else is by where they go to church. And some of them have such large families that they tend to do more with them than with friends or neighbors. I guess you could say the same for many Jewish people. There's not a really large group of them in my area - they started out living south of downtown and then moved north along Hillcrest. We did have the Neimans and the Marcuses, however..

Old 03-15-2011, 02:55 PM

95 posts, read 211,073 times
Quote:
"their own type" are you quoting me here? I don't remember saying that. Just sayin since it's in quotes. Quite honestly, I have no idea how to respond to what you just said, in fact I feel dumber now having read it. Sounds like your viewing this as some dichotomous battle between light and dark skin with dark skin taking over. Maybe I am mistaken, but if I understanding it correctly you are looking at this in terms of skin color, not my point. My point is primarily from a cultural point of view.

People should be able to live where they want without being made to feel like they are/aren't living into some diversity standard. If someone doesn't want to live in a place where there is a high concentration of minorities so be it, doesn't mean they have less of an open mind, they just made a conscious personal choice. Nothing wrong with that.

I often question the whole Melting Pot theory. I just think it is a little far-fetched to think that ethnic differences will magically amalgamate over time and some new and novel part of society will emerge from this forced ethnic synthesis. Seems foolish to me personally, I really think cultural differences particularly when you examine things anthropologically are just part of the human condition. With that said, we needn't waste our time with valuing statistics or worrying if we are "diverse" enough, we just need to work on ourselves individually and accept we are different, allowed to exist here peacefully and move on from there. Seems alot simpler to me.

Oh, sorry...you had said "their own race", not "their own type"....my bad.
I do understand what you are saying. I have many friends with whom I debate in exactly the same way. And I do see a certain amount of beauty in "let's celebrate the differences" kind of thinking. I guess I am just more of a John Lennon "imagine there's no country" kind of person. For example, I have dated all types, but in the back of my mind I am very glad that the person I chose to marry and make babies with happens to be of a different race than I am.
I am now in the fetal position waiting for the daggers to be thrown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas