Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 06:32 PM

578 posts, read 479,204 times

Advertisements

Patients pay an annual retainer, while the physician keeps a small panel of patients.

Patients have guaranteed same-day/next-day appointments and 24/7 text/call/email access to PCP.

In Dallas there are many MDVIP affiliated PCPs($1,800/yr). Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 06:35 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
One of the guys I went to high school with opened a concierge practice when he retired from emergency medicine. He found he enjoyed it more than having a standard practice, which he did for a year or so.

He sold the practice a couple years ago to fully retire.

I know this doesn't answer your question but giving a perspective from a medical side.

Old 07-23-2023, 08:57 PM

263 posts, read 565,409 times
I think it depends on how much you would utilize the doctor. We have noticed several of my husband's doctors have decided to switch to concierge over the last several years. In discussing with them we decided it wasn't worth it at this point in our lives.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:05 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
It's worth it if you like your doctor and want to stick with him/her. I've been with the same doctor for over 25 years. He went to a concierge model about 5 years ago and I stuck with him. My experience has been good...appointment availability, phone follow-up calls, text messages, etc.

Having said that, $150 month is a drain when the economy is down. I plan on "breaking up" with my doctor at the end of the year. I'll roll the dice with a new doctor.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,086,492 times
I looked into it myself, but I just decided the cost wasn't worth it even without insurance. I wouldn't even think about it if I had medical insurance that paid most of those visits. It really depends on your own medical needs, though. I don't think that's a question anyone else can answer.

Now if you are looking for recommendations on a good GP or internist, that's one I'd like to hear. I would be shocked if there were any left, at least any taking new patients. That's one reason I wouldn't want to join any of these programs. Good luck finding someone who is seeing new patients, and even then, I just have lost faith in them all. I'm jaded.

Last edited by Leonard123; 07-23-2023 at 11:43 PM..

Old 07-24-2023, 07:42 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I looked into it myself, but I just decided the cost wasn't worth it even without insurance. I wouldn't even think about it if I had medical insurance that paid most of those visits. It really depends on your own medical needs, though. I don't think that's a question anyone else can answer.

Now if you are looking for recommendations on a good GP or internist, that's one I'd like to hear. I would be shocked if there were any left, at least any taking new patients. That's one reason I wouldn't want to join any of these programs. Good luck finding someone who is seeing new patients, and even then, I just have lost faith in them all. I'm jaded.
The concierge model doesn't take the place of insurance. You are basically paying for exclusivity to keep your doctor.

I agree with your assessment of doctors. Everything is trial and error. I value them less after my mom's recent passing - which is why I'm willing to give up concierge service.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post

My understanding is that the retainer part will be paid out of pocket not involving insurance. You still need insurance to cover other medical charges.

You can have a good GP in your insurance network, but nowadays the bottleneck of medicine is accessibility. Very hard to see the physician him/herself.
You have a 15-min appointment 3 weeks later, or you can see NP/PA, or you will be sent to an urgent care.

Concierge = pay to jump the line.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:26 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
My understanding is that the retainer part will be paid out of pocket not involving insurance. You still need insurance to cover other medical charges.

You can have a good GP in your insurance network, but nowadays the bottleneck of medicine is accessibility. Very hard to see the physician him/herself.
You have a 15-min appointment 3 weeks later, or you can see NP/PA, or you will be sent to an urgent care.

I wonder where you guys are that have so many problems getting in to see a doctor. We've been with the same practice for almost forty years and have never had a scheduling issue. Now, the practice does have "unscheduled" slots built into the day for each of the doctors. If ours happens to be off when we call and it's a somewhat emergency another one will see us.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:07 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post

I'm not sure I understand; I thought concierge meant that no insurance was accepted.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:53 AM

My understanding: the ones accept insurance usually work with 3rd party companies (such as MDVIP, MD2) to circumvent billing/code/tax nuisance.

Instead of paying $1,800 to the physician, patients pay the 3rd party companies for an annual executive wellness checkup.
Maybe $300 covers the checkup, and the rest $1,500/yr is kickback to the doc.

Other than that, the concierge PCP works & charges just like an ordinary PCP.
It just that he has $1,500*400 = $600k baseline revenue when he has a panel of 400 patients.
So no incentive to rush 15 min sessions and see 20+ patients a day. Enough time to reply text/email and accommodate same-day appointments.

Quote:
HOW DOES MY INSURANCE WORK IN AN MDVIP-AFFILIATED PRACTICE?
Most MDVIP-affiliated primary care practices accept insurance (your physician can tell you whether they accept your specific insurance plan). Your annual fee pays for preventive care medical services that insurance usually doesn’t cover (e.g., advanced diagnostic testing and screenings). Your MDVIP-affiliated physician will continue to bill your insurance and charge copays, co-insurances and deductibles as he or she currently does for other medical services like sick visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: