Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
81 posts, read 175,756 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

What are your thoughts about the weather. I am from Philadelphia, and would normally brave the cold weather, but the streets are horrible. Unless they magically clear up, it looks like I will be skipping my parties that I had planned to go to on Saturday and Sunday. Are most of you doing the same?

What is the deal with the streets anyway? It has been days since the ice fell. My apartment complex has not even bothered to put down ice, sand, shovel the driveways, or anything. In Philadelphia, they are on that right away because they are scared of potential accidents, lawsuits, etc. Is it like this every time it snows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Dallas
4,630 posts, read 10,520,933 times
Reputation: 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2010 View Post
What are your thoughts about the weather. I am from Philadelphia, and would normally brave the cold weather, but the streets are horrible. Unless they magically clear up, it looks like I will be skipping my parties that I had planned to go to on Saturday and Sunday. Are most of you doing the same?

What is the deal with the streets anyway? It has been days since the ice fell. My apartment complex has not even bothered to put down ice, sand, shovel the driveways, or anything. In Philadelphia, they are on that right away because they are scared of potential accidents, lawsuits, etc. Is it like this every time it snows?
My apt complex hasn't even plowed yet, I'm snowed in. Happy about that really. As long as they don't, I won't work. As far as the ice goes I think DFW simply doesn't have the supply of sand and rock salt we keep on hand in the northeast. It's probably more cost effective to no just shut down on rare occasions things get out of hand like they are now. Just my guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:36 PM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 8,050,742 times
Reputation: 1804
The average salt truck cost 250k. The city of Chicago has 230 of them. It will cost the city of Dallas over $57 million dollars for those trucks. Does Dallas want its taxes to be raised for these trucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
307 posts, read 1,100,649 times
Reputation: 179
My apartment complex hasn't sanded either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
6,782 posts, read 10,050,167 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The average salt truck cost 250k. The city of Chicago has 230 of them. It will cost the city of Dallas over $57 million dollars for those trucks. Does Dallas want its taxes to be raised for these trucks?
Salt Trucks are bad for the roads, that's why we don't use them in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,221 posts, read 16,011,250 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Salt Trucks are bad for the roads, that's why we don't use them in Dallas.
Yeah, because accidents are much better than paying up to prevent them. Especially for the Super Bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
81 posts, read 175,756 times
Reputation: 43
My complex actually sent an email today saying that there were buckets of "ice melt" near the mailbox areas that we were free to use. This was of course after I slipped and fell on the ice in the parking lot this afternoon. How generous of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
 
3,478 posts, read 6,589,919 times
Reputation: 3239
If you don't have the infrastructure, salting and sanding isn't going to happen. They got the major highways clear, but otherwise, where will the $$$ and the equipment come from? People would have been howling their heads off just two weeks ago if they found out the cities had put away that much money for an unlikely weather event. It is what it is.

Apartment complexes are a different story--they are asking for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
81 posts, read 175,756 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The average salt truck cost 250k. The city of Chicago has 230 of them. It will cost the city of Dallas over $57 million dollars for those trucks. Does Dallas want its taxes to be raised for these trucks?
Maybe they don't need to get 230, but they could get a few. The roads are dangerous. Plus, with the temperatures fluctuating, the ice is only going to melt and re-freeze for the next few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
81 posts, read 175,756 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
If you don't have the infrastructure, salting and sanding isn't going to happen. They got the major highways clear, but otherwise, where will the $$$ and the equipment come from? People would have been howling their heads off just two weeks ago if they found out the cities had put away that much money for an unlikely weather event. It is what it is.

Apartment complexes are a different story--they are asking for it.
This is true. I mean, historically this has not happened often in this area, so I see how they are not prepared. However, this is the 2nd year of snowstorms here. I am hoping that next year things will go back to normal. What a mess. I just worry about parents who are transporting their children on these roads. All it takes is hitting one patch of ice, or slamming on the breaks, and then you are in a ditch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top