Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 02:53 PM

15 posts, read 61,165 times

Advertisements

OK, Lakewooder, Thanks for the list of those zip codes..That should help us in making further decision as per choosing places not too far from the hospitals to ensure easy commute for her.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yemiray View Post
Momof2dfw:
I work from home (day trading) but my wife is a nurse and would need to have a job not too far from home..thanks.
If you want her to stay away from having an hour or longer commute then I'd be hesitant to look in places like Frisco, Flower Mound, Far North Carrollton, Little Elm, Valley Ranch and Allen - or having to drive a pretty good distant in non rush hour during the middle of the night depending on her shifts. Those are going to put you near a small hospital but that is it (the Baylor & Presbyterian hospital systems have small branches in some of these locales) but you are going to be farther from the heavy majority of the hospitals in the Dallas area.

With the Dallas ISD magnet schools one does NOT have to live IN the Dallas ISD to be accepted. Many kids from outside of the DISD get accepted and attend places like Townview, Yvonne Ewell and Booker T Washington for their magnet programs.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
True - I know of several Park Cities parents over the years paying tuition to have their kids go to Woodrow and the Arts Magnet - believe it or not!

Old 07-20-2007, 04:35 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
True - I know of several Park Cities parents over the years paying tuition to have their kids go to Woodrow and the Arts Magnet - believe it or not!
They want their kids to have a better shot at getting in the top 10% so their child can go to UT-Austin. Well, not so much the arts magnet, but Woodrow.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:40 PM

709 posts, read 3,474,146 times
Carrollton schools offer academies... math/engineering, science etc.... Also, CFBISD is a very large district and many of the schools are located near local hospitals. Northern portion of Carrollton I mentioned earlier is mostly Lewisville schools. I don't know for sure what type of academies or magnets they have to offer. My nephew received some excellent AP classes while in Lewisville schools. He received a full scholarship to a university (actually several scholarship opportunities).

75007/75006 both are Carrollton and very near 75010 zip.
Hospitals in the areas I mentioned ... Trinity Medical Center (Carrollton), Plano Presby, Baylor Plano, Baylor Irving, RHD (Farmers Branch) (although I've heard rumors they are closing), Lewisville Memorial ( I think this is the correct name), several special hospitals in the 75010 area. Select Hospital and Regency Hospital are two of those special hospitals. My dad lived most of the last 3 months of his life in Regency. Very nice facility considering circumstances. There are plenty of hospitals in the metroplex and all easily accessible by DART (transportaion), tollways, highway, etc...

Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
They want their kids to have a better shot at getting in the top 10% so their child can go to UT-Austin. Well, not so much the arts magnet, but Woodrow.
It's not as easy as you think to get into the top 10%, which would be around the top 25. There are probably more than 100 good candidates vying for those spots - they have come up together at Lakewood and Stonewall and have very involved parents who have instilled a highly competitive nature into their children. I know they have to go back to first grade to determine class rank sometimes...

But it's a lot easier then getting into the top 10% in a class of 2,200 in Plano, I dare say.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:38 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Class rank is not determined by work done in first grade.

http://www.dallasisd.org/schools/hs/wtwhite/documents/class_rank.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times
I'll second Garland for the magnet schools and for racial diversity. As Mom said Magnets start at the elementary level. There are Math, Science, and Technology magnets, and Classical magnets elementary and middle school level. There are also schools that are part of the older gifted and talented program, such as Kimberlin (elem), and Austin(middle school). At high school these programs continue, as well as the addition of AP, and IB.

Now some people will say that Garland is not a nice area, this mostly stems from the fact that it is an older suburb. Again, this is just because there tends to be this attitude that if it isn't the latest greatest thing (frisco, plano) then its bad. Part of it is because there are a lot of minorities in Garland. Garland in fact just elected its first black mayor. Garland is home to many many hispanics, blacks, and asians as well as whites.

Now its not that people in Dallas are racist, or that people in Collin County are racist. I think to a degree some just aren't quite comfortable living near minorities, or their children going to school with a lot of minorities. But yes white flight does exist.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:38 PM

15 posts, read 61,165 times
I am gonna be flying down to Dallas to check out some of the listed areas and nearby schools/hospitals next weekend..thanks to everyone for the various suggestions..I think I have good leads to start off with already

Old 07-23-2007, 02:22 PM

Well Far North Dallas - the rules may have changed, but that's they way it used to be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas