Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Metro Matt continues to spew the false rhetoric that the Dallas Cowboys are no longer in Dallas County when it has been told to him for months that the team's operations are still held at Valley Ranch IN Irving IN Dallas County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The game may have started off boring, but it got pretty good from just before half on to the end. Too bad Pittsburgh couldn't do anything on their last drive to make it even better.
NO no no. The fact that Pittsburgh was there was enough for nausea for Cowboy fans. If they would have won it, that would have been a disaster. You wonder why Roger Staubach had that smile from ear to ear when he gave the Lombardi to Bradshaw? It's because the Steelers lost.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Super Bowl XLV brought Arlington unprecedented national attention, but that spotlight actually hurt the city's image, according to national survey results released Thursday morning.
National survey finds that Arlington's image was hurt by Super Bowl XLV | Super Bowl Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I love it ! The SB is a bust, so now the DMN (much like the title of this thread) no longer claims it as Dallas's SB but Arlington's SB.
How's that old saying go ? "Success has a thousand fathers, but failure is an orphan". I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say if this game had been a roaring PR success, the DMN would have been shouting to the heavens about the huge boost Dallas got in national recogniton.
Good. I'm glad Arlington is getting hit with this. The are the ones that came out and was upset that people were calling it the "Road to Dallas" or "Dallas superbowl" in the first place. The Arlington mayor came out and say that the superbowl is not being played in Dallas. He specifically wanted people to know that the event was being held in Arlington and didn't care to give any other city any credit. So good. Glad he and his suburb is taking this PR hit.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 PM

325 posts, read 757,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dale even said himself the Super Bowl was meant to be played in warm weather cities.

While not naming the 5 cities specifically, I think you can pretty well guess where they are...San Diego, Phoenix, Houston, New Orleans, & Miami. The NFL should just rotate between those cities. Houston has an advantage because of its far south, centralized location on the map with easy access from all regions of the country.

Winter weather in South Texas is much less likely than in North Texas. It cuts the odds in half, literally.

Dallas & North Texas fubared on this one...big time.
As an ex San Diegan, I'd love to see it there again, and the NFL would love to have the city host it again, but it will likely never happen again, as there will not be a new stadium built there for years (if ever), and the old stadium is too run down and doesn't have enough luxury boxes (the key factor, not the total number of seats in the stadium). If the Chargers move to LA, and/or a new stadium is built there, then that will be in the rotation, and may even be a favorite for SB 50.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Arlington could've had rail. It chose not to.

Arlington could've revitalized what little downtown it has. It has chosen not to.

Cowboys Stadium could've been in Dallas or at least stayed in Dallas County. They chose not to.

I'm sure the tax payers of Arlington are regretting ever letting Cowboys Stadium aka Jerry World, the Death Star, what ever you wanna call it be built on their home turf.
THIS IS A POST OF MINE FROM YESTERDAY ON THIS VERY TOPIC:

Arlington needs to work on infrastructure, i.e., mass transit. It is the largest city in the country with absolutely no mass transit to speak of. Grand Prairie, the city between Dallas and Arlington, has to be a member city of DART in order for Arlington to be eligible to join. Not that it matters, as both Grand Prairie and Arlington have never shown interest. THAT is precisely why Jerry Jones chose to put his stadium in Arlington. People that blame the former mayor of Dallas, Laura Miller, obviously don't know how to play follow the money.

It is no coincidence that every proposed site for the stadium within Dallas proper was near a current or future DART Rail station and every such site was rejected. As of today, all of the stations that would've been directly adjacent or within walking distance to the stadium, are open and all proposed sites sit near the Red, Blue or Green Line. Even Irving's Texas Stadium was supposed to have its own station on the Orange Line. That line opens late next year and that station now deferred until development warrants an opening. That is the same line that will also directly connect to DFW International. When I thought about all this and then observed the obscene amount of money people throw down for Jerry, JUST TO PARK THEIR CAR, well, isn't it obvious? Follow the money.

THE POINT OF THE ABOVE POST:
This is my take on the situation regarding the stadium's present location. It makes perfect sense. Does anyone remember back in the day when DART Rail was in its infancy? Does anyone remember that this local billionaire threw all kinds of money toward killing DART Rail? Well, that billionaire was none other than one Jerry Jones. Now, why would he care about killing a rail system? A rail system that, from its conception, happened to have plans to build a station right at Texas Stadium's front door. Think about it.

Last edited by TowerGuy; 02-11-2011 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,528 times
Why does everyone respond to Metro Matt's posts? You're just giving him more attention by responding to him, which is exactly what he wants with his troll-like posts. Instead, you all should just put him on your ignore list, so you don't have to "feed the troll".

Anyway, I believe DFW will have the opportunity to host another Super Bowl in due time (hopefully in 2016).

Last edited by Photography; 02-11-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 PM

43 posts, read 55,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
Why does everyone respond to Metro Matt's posts? You're just giving him more attention by responding to him, which is exactly what he wants with his troll-like posts. Instead, you all should just put him on your ignore list, so you don't have to "feed the troll".

Anyway, I believe DFW will have the opportunity to host another Super Bowl in due time (hopefully in 2015).

2016 is the earliest DFW can get another SB.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:08 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWForever View Post
2016 is the earliest DFW can get another SB.
Whoops, I meant to post that (typo). I've edited my post to reflect this.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It couldn't. Cowboys Stadium is 3 million sq ft. Heck, the Cotton Bowl is nowhere near that size and it takes up alot of space. There also wouldn't be enough parking.
The stadium was not going to be exactly where the Cotton Bowl is. Don't know if you remember, but they were going to use the area all the way back to the Starplex and were talking of buying up the neighborhood directly to the south of Fair Park.

And yes, there's no coincidence between lack of DART and the stadium. In Arlington, the funding mechanism is in direct competition with what DART normally uses for funding. In Dallas County, the funding was to come from Hotel and Rental Car tax raises. Mary Kay and another of the large conventions threatened to move their conventions to the Gaylord Texan if a stadium referendum went to a November vote. So this was a tough decision, that was nearing the latest date to get on the November ballot. This was when Arlington jumped in. So yes, no coincidence. Jerry wants parking revenue and Jerry wants funding sources that DART is direct competition for.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
The stadium was not going to be exactly where the Cotton Bowl is. Don't know if you remember, but they were going to use the area all the way back to the Starplex and were talking of buying up the neighborhood directly to the south of Fair Park.

And yes, there's no coincidence between lack of DART and the stadium. In Arlington, the funding mechanism is in direct competition with what DART normally uses for funding. In Dallas County, the funding was to come from Hotel and Rental Car tax raises. Mary Kay and another of the large conventions threatened to move their conventions to the Gaylord Texan if a stadium referendum went to a November vote. So this was a tough decision, that was nearing the latest date to get on the November ballot. This was when Arlington jumped in. So yes, no coincidence. Jerry wants parking revenue and Jerry wants funding sources that DART is direct competition for.
Proof in point the Metroplex, D/FW, North Texas does not "work together" on these kinds of issues. It is a multi-polar metropolitan area with all the advantages & disadvantages that come with it.

Give me 500-600 less in population if that means having a defined city core & works together as one. Every other small suburb revolving around its nucleus is not sucking the life out of the principal city.

Thanks for making that clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas