Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times

Advertisements

The Stars only have a niche following here in the Metroplex. They deserve bigger crowds.

Texas is football country with basketball and baseball a distance 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

Our MLS team; FC Dallas, made it to the MLS Cup last year. They received little local airtime. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post

Our MLS team; FC Dallas, made it to the MLS Cup last year. They received little local airtime. Sad.

Well, to be fair, even the best American soccer teams are hard to watch compared to the European leagues.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Well, to be fair, even the best American soccer teams are hard to watch compared to the European leagues.
Totally agree. I enjoy European soccer.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM

229 posts, read 606,978 times
FC Dallas needs to come back to actual Dallas and cater to its biggest fanbase, the Hispanics.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:39 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codytravers View Post
FC Dallas needs to come back to actual Dallas and cater to its biggest fanbase, the Hispanics.
I think so. FC Dallas should not be in Frisco.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:06 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Sure the Stars are in first place (Tied with my Sharks now :-))

I love watching the Sharks crash and burn in the playoffs every year.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Dallas Stars season ticket holder since 1996. I love hockey and am a Native Dallasite . You would actually be surprised how many natives to Texas actually love hockey, watch them all the time and go to the games. There really are a lot of us and more than most people really realize.

As for last nights game...... I did not go but would have if I had not been home prepping for a procedure today. Hubby went though and attendance was down due to the weather. Wednesday night + bad weather + road conditions = low attendance. Just the way it goes. There are many games though were attendance is much higher and that tends to be Friday and Saturday games and depends on the opposing team.

Before the strike the place was always packed. With the strike they lost a lot of the big corporate season ticket holders and those people went and bought Mavs or Rangers tickets. It is hard to get some people back after they have moved onto another sport and have season tickets there. They might come back for the occassional game but they are not going to buy season tickets.

Throw in we have lost a lot of the long time big name players like Modano there is no draw to get some people out to come see a big name player yet. The Stars are in a transition right now and I'm actually pleasantly surprised they are as high up in the rankings as they are. We have a lot of new players and they are building the team back up and I'm glad these new young players are doing so well . It is just going to take some time for the public around here to learn their names.

I have to say though that our sports media is also a part of this problem. They hardly ever give the Stars any air time. Even right now when there is no baseball or football going on and the Stars are playing the sports news hardly ever will lead off w/ the Stars game and they might get one really quick, "oh yeah, the Stars played the ____ and won ___" and that is it. If our local sports media would give the Stars just as much air time when they have game as they do baseball or basketball then more Dallas area residents would become familiar w/ the players and what is going on.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Forgotten? Who could forget Modano's beautiful hair?

Original six Bruins fan here, have to say always liked the Stars when they were good..I think every market has short memories Dallas is no different. Although knowing what I know now about the area I can't believe hockey survives there to be honest. I hope it does, cause when I move I will need a hockey fix now and then.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Interesting fact...Texas has more amateur hockey leagues than Canada.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:37 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
What happened in last night's Bruins game? 130+ penalty minutes? Goalies fighting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas