U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM

13 posts, read 29,218 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we have been in Dallas for 3 months and absolutely love it! Ice storm and all, we survived it. Now it is time to figure out our summer plans before it is too late to get a nice spot some place. What do families do all summer long? Is it typical for families to spend the summer on one of the lakes? For instance, heading to a lake each weekend over the summer or staying for a period of time. Do families head anywhere else for the summer? For instance, some New Yorkers may spend the summer in the Hamptons. Or do families typically carry on their same routine whether it is summer or not?

It gets pretty steamy here, so I cannot imagine just hibernating until Fall. Any insights to Dallas family culture are appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM

14,874 posts, read 38,758,302 times
A lot of people have a boat or even a lakehouse at a lake that might be an hour or more away. Going to the lake is pretty normal around here.

As for family summer vacations...... just about every single person I know takes one. Some take two. And usually to fun places and not always to the same place all the time. Popular places are: Italy, Hawaii, Colorado, DisneyWorld, taking a cruise for a week, Cancun, Cabo, Carribbean Islands, etc. I know several going to each of those places listed for this summer. Planes headed out of here for the summer are always full of locals headed out on summer vacation. Heading to a lake or even up to Oklahoma, Arkansas, Galveston, etc is a long weekend kind of trip that some also do in addition to their summer vacation.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM

12,409 posts, read 23,867,810 times
In some demographics, a lot of families have lake homes on Cedar Creek or Possom Kingdom or the Hill Country lakes. Other families keep a boat on Ray Hubard or Lewisville for boating. Colorado and Santa Fe are also common second home locations.

A lot of 2nd grade & older kids go to sleep-away camp for 3-6 week terms.

A lot of families take a vacation or two, ranging from Disney to grand tours of Europe or Africa. "normal" vacations vary by neighborhood/school.

In Dallas, country clubs are popular hang out spots for kids & adults. Hurrican Harbour makes a good day trip. there are lots of "Y" camps, church Vacation Bible Schools, sports camps, etc for kids of all ages.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 PM

6,585 posts, read 23,559,655 times
I don't know anyone that leaves for the entire summer. There are some folks who have 2nd houses in Colorado or Ruidoso, New Mexico. Some folks have lakehouses (we do) but it's not a summer only thing. It's year round and for the weekends but I don't know anyone who spends an entire summer at their lakehouses.

Many folks just take a week long vacation to Destin, Florida, one of the Disney parks, Costa Rica, Mexico, maybe Europe, or a visit to see relatives and then that's pretty much it for the summer. Not everyone is made of money. Sometimes kids will travel with their school somewhere on a school trip. Or they have cheerleader camp or band camp to attend.

Kids go to 1 week long sleep away camps like Sky Ranch or the Pines - both in East Texas - or attend multiple week residential camps like Longhorn or something in Colorado. I went to one in North Carolina called Camp Pinnacle. Jewish kids go to Jewish camps - all the ones I know go to one in Missouri and it's like, I don't know, 6 weeks long sessions.

Families with younger kids usually go to Sea World in San Antonio.

Some kids attend summer school either to cach up, get ahead or enrichment.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Love the ideas. Thank you. We are researching lake options for the summer. So far we have had several recommendations for Lake Texahoma. I will have to check out the other options listed above as well.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,789,025 times
My family has had a place up at Texoma for almost 50 years but we have never spent more than a week there. Mostly people go on weekends although more people live there full-time than in the past. It's a huge lake and the contrast between weekends and weekdays is quite stunning. Denison now has a little bit of an 'artsy' downtown but the scene up there is more catfish and chicken-fried steak than wine and foie gras. In fact it's hard to find any gourmet items or restaurants. You would think the area could support that..

Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
My family has had a place up at Texoma for almost 50 years but we have never spent more than a week there. Mostly people go on weekends although more people live there full-time than in the past. It's a huge lake and the contrast between weekends and weekdays is quite stunning. Denison now has a little bit of an 'artsy' downtown but the scene up there is more catfish and chicken-fried steak than wine and foie gras. In fact it's hard to find any gourmet items or restaurants. You would think the area could support that..
We are looking for a place to retreat for weekends in the summer. We don't necessarily want to stay the entire week unless there is something special going on. Maybe we will try multiple lakes versus just one. If there are specific events over the summer that make one lake more appealing than another during certain time periods, than that information would be helpful. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or