Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
A problem is that seniority or other factors may determine cuts rather than merit/effectiveness. I've met a lot of wonderful young teachers who are full of enthusiasm, drive and determination in the last few years. I would hate to see them go because of LIFO.
They will be. My best friend is a 4th year teacher in Plano and has been promoted to team leader of her grade next year...."if she's still there" (her principal's exact words).

She is such an awesome & enthusiastic young teacher in a school with a lot of behavioral & learning problems. She has chosen to stay there 3 times vs taking an easier job at another Plano school.

It sucks that some grumpy old teacher will keep her job due to seniority and my friend could get cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
A problem is that seniority or other factors may determine cuts rather than merit/effectiveness. I've met a lot of wonderful young teachers who are full of enthusiasm, drive and determination in the last few years. I would hate to see them go because of LIFO.
The most ineffective teachers my kids have are the ones who the most seniority and highest salaries. Often their salary is almost double of younger teachers who can connect and motivate students - they actually go the extra mileage to ensure students are getting what they need. While the "senior" teachers are droning out the curriculm and not connecting with students. Now...not all senior teachers are doing this, but off hand, I can count 5 from my kids' schools.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

I know of a couple of teachers and principals in the district that are WAY PAST retirement age (as well as some in administration). Some have been hanging on for a long time and really have not retired because they basically have nothing else in their lives going on at all. A few of these really do not offer anything of any substance to enhance the schools they are at and are basically just a fixture. I'm wondering if the districts are going to first come in and try and get these people to retire and THEN see where things stand.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
The most ineffective teachers my kids have are the ones who the most seniority and highest salaries. Often their salary is almost double of younger teachers who can connect and motivate students - they actually go the extra mileage to ensure students are getting what they need. While the "senior" teachers are droning out the curriculm and not connecting with students. Now...not all senior teachers are doing this, but off hand, I can count 5 from my kids' schools.
We have had both. My kids have had older teachers that were TOTALLY AWESOME, expected a lot out of their students and really pushed them and challenged them. Then there have been some that should have retired DECADES ago. I've also seen a few young new teachers that were "lost" in the classroom and really could not motivate a pencil.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
It's better than tax increases

Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

I know of a couple of teachers and principals in the district that are WAY PAST retirement age (as well as some in administration). Some have been hanging on for a long time and really have not retired because they basically have nothing else in their lives going on at all. A few of these really do not offer anything of any substance to enhance the schools they are at and are basically just a fixture. I'm wondering if the districts are going to first come in and try and get these people to retire and THEN see where things stand.
I really hope so. My HS son brought home his schedule for next year and I questioned why he wasn't taking two important classes (not necessary for graduation; just educational advancement). He explained the teachers for those two classes were the finest examples of a "senior" teacher who lacks motivation and connection.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
the people who are hanging on and working past retirement just might need the money--
they might have children in college or other people who depend on them--
they might also be trying to max out their pension benefit after retiring--and they could just love teaching--
individuals mean just that--separate reasons for different people...

I don't think it is fair to make a generic decision about experienced teachers are bad and newer teachers are good--
in my experience as teacher it was often the other way around--new hires were not really prepared for the amount of time and effort it took to be a good teacher--
we had some new hires that barely made it through the first year--and some who should not have been offered a contract to come back--
and yes--there are some teachers who are just not that effective--
that base it on performance--and not tenure--
ALL teachers in TX teach on a one-year contract--
most of the time people past 3 yrs can put more faith in being offered a contract but there is no union negotiations here

Dallas has run amuck for years with poor judgement and cost overruns--and Hinojosa is not doing anyone a service by laying down a "rule" like his staffing guideline when that is probably not very practical or in the best interests of students...

and yes--the level of attrition should be spread out and frankly the admin side in Dallas ISD is WAY over what is probably necessary to run this district--but I imagine teachers will be let go in disproportionate numbers--because the admin protects the admin above all...

AND what about our legislators and Governor--what are they giving up???
nothing that I have read/heard about specifically
think the governor could give up 1 of his 2 chefs?
think they would vote themselves at least a 10% pay cut???

Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
I hope you are kidding. I would glaly pay higher taxes than see 1/3 of all teachers in TX be laid off, class sizes swell, and arts & athletics eliminated.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
UH, hate to tell you but we are going to see tax increases if this massive of a lay off happens across the state. We are going to see unemployment rates unlike we have ever seen before. Those without health insurance are going to be using the public hospitals that are supported by our tax dollars. There will be less people paying taxes in due to no jobs and they may lose their homes which means the values go down in the entire area, property taxes may have to increase to cover the drop in values. City services could be even more drastically cut due to lower taxes coming in from property taxes. This is going to effect a LOT MORE than just the teachers that lose their jobs. We ALL are going to fill the tidal wave this is going to create.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I hope you are kidding. I would glaly pay higher taxes than see 1/3 of all teachers in TX be laid off, class sizes swell, and arts & athletics eliminated.
ME TOO! Paying a little more in taxes to avoid such a massive layoff is going to SAVE US MONEY in the long run.

A lot of people really are not thinking this entire situation thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas