Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 AM

458 posts, read 2,775,149 times

Advertisements

The high school football season is just around the corner and everyone obviously knows Texas is well known for its HS football.

I've been wondering, which are the biggest most prestigious HS football programs in the DFW Metroplex? What are some of the big rivalries?

If anyone could link me to some sites with more info on Texas HS football I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm likely going to move to the area and I intend to be as big of a high school fan as some of the locals. I'm more of a Pro/college football fan but the passion of HS football in Texas seems like it's something that I want to experience. I'm from Southern Indiana near Louisville, KY and HS football around here is a joke. I want to learn more about TX HS football.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:24 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
The cross-town rivalries are usually the biggest spectacles! Mesquite vs. North Mesquite, Garland vs. South Garland, Newman Smith vs. R.L. Turner, etc.

The prestige tends to vary from year-to-year, according to who has the best-ranked team that year. Southlake Carroll is almost always up there!

Old 07-23-2007, 08:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Southlake Carroll has been to state in 5A for past 3 years I think--well-regarded--aggressing passing game--new coach this year--will see how they shape up

Trinity in HEB won state a couple of years ago in 5A--their biggest rival is Bell HS in same district--really a no-contest--Trinity has masses of Tongans who just outweigh anyone but the stands...

Old 07-23-2007, 09:39 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Southlake Carroll and Trinity are the big shots in division 5A and Highland Park is the big shot in division 4A.

Which division you are in is determined by the school's enrollment. The definition of 4A enrollment is "Highland Park Plus Two."

Old 07-23-2007, 12:30 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Which division you are in is determined by the school's enrollment. The definition of 4A enrollment is "Highland Park Plus Two."
That's funny and oh so true...

Here's a link to Texas Football Magazine which tends to be the leader in discussing all things football here in Texas. The yearly magazine is now out on the shelves everywhere...

texasfootball.com

Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
We have returned to some of our great successes of the last 79 years in football for the last few years at Woodrow. We have gone to the playoffs for the last few years and last fall the team we barely lost to blew out HP (that would have been quite a spectacle if we had done it). And we tied for sixth in the Dallas Morning News All-Sports competition. Our score was higher than 95 4 and 5-A metroplex schools.

We have traditions going back all those years and many, many alums turn out (some with walkers) so it's a really great atmosphere. Plus we have such a varied fan base, both economically and racially. It is nice to see one place in the DFW area where such a mix genuinely gets along and even loves one another.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:43 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
I'd say the top programs in the area right now are:

- Southlake Carroll(incredible current run of 4 straight titles and 5 of the last 6)
- Euless Trinity(has really stepped into the contender role recently and won state 2 years ago)
- Allen(consistently a legitimate state contender since half the Garland coaching staff relocated there after Garland's '99 title.)
- Garland(great talent for a suburban school and probably the most consistent 5a program the last 2 decades. Legitimate contender for the last 15 years)
- Highland Park(4a version of Garland without the Division I talent. Very consistent high level program)
- Dallas Carter(always great D-I talent, always tough with a legendary coach. Consistently making good playoff appearances)

those are your consistent deep playoff run teams. Of course many others come and go because there is incredible depth in the area and state. Teams can come out of nowhere and win state or have a couple of great years. Others are up and down. Its just hard to have the long sustained runs that you see in other states, though Southlake Carroll has come as close as you can in Texas. The state is simply too big and there's too much talent and lack of recruiting privates to have dynasties.

You will also find top notch stadiums in the metroplex. Moreso than anywhere I've lived. These days its almost weird to not be playing in a nice stadium.
Good sites are:

5atexasfootball.com
texashsfootball.com
Rivals Texas site.

You usually can't go wrong in the metroplex in 5a and 4a. Its hard to find programs that have bad coaching and are consistently down. Everyone has their runs and the competition is great for the most part.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 AM

709 posts, read 3,473,293 times
Yes, RL Turner and Newman Smith are both rivals to the nth degree but honestly neither has a reputation for being a top state level team or for that matter a winning team. Every so often they might have a better team than the year before. I love both schools as I am a product of Smith and my brother a product of Turner. But except for when my brother went to HS I can't really remember a winning team from either school. Take that back I think Turner had one a few years back.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 AM

709 posts, read 3,473,293 times
Yes, RL Turner and Newman Smith are both rivals to the nth degree but honestly neither has a reputation for being a top state level team or for that matter a winning team. Every so often they might have a better team than the year before. I love both schools as I am a product of Smith and my brother a product of Turner. But except for when my brother(early 70's and before that) went to HS I can't really remember a winning team from either school. Take that back I think Turner had one a few years back.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:18 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,149 times
What team is "MOJO" that was on Friday Night Lights? If I remember right I believe they were located in the Dallas area but maybe it was a school somewhere else in Texas.

Thanks everyone for the info and links to the sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas