Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM

300 posts, read 1,257,725 times

Advertisements

Sooo....if any of you have been following my research and/or posts, you all (can't bring myself to ya'll yet...haha!) know that we are looking at Rockwall, and you also know my husband thinks he wants land. IF we were to get a house with some "land", and there were horse facilities on site (such as a small stable and pen), would we be able to rent that out to someone with horses?

While we *like* horses...we aren't getting any in the near future (or ever, probably!). It would be such a waste to have that and not use it, especially if we could make money off it! haha!

Anyone know the following: a) its that legal (hey, could be something that says you can't do it if its not a dedicated facility?), b) would people in the area be interested in that at all, or would anyone with interest have that for themselves on their own land?

If found a REALLY cute and classic house for only $279k on 3 acres with a 2,400 sq. ft. workshop (whatever that means?) and horse stables/pen off of "farm to market road 549" (? such a peculiar street name). From Realtor.com:

5904 S Fm 549 Rockwall TX - Real Estate for Sale and Homes for Sale - MLS #11512217 - Realtor.com®

Just throwing it out there. Very curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
FM or Farm to Market are small county highways. Most are only 2 lane blacktops while some have widened to 4 lanes in more heavily traveled areas. So this particular property is going to be on a main road and not in a subdivision. Other FM roads in Rockwall are 205, 276, 551, 548, etc.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Yes, I saw on the map it looked like the country/not a subdivision. I also noticed it was Heath HS. Just something to throw out there, I suppose...in the event that my DH wants "land" over "new". haha! Are these roads heavily traveled?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
FM or Farm to Market are small county highways. Most are only 2 lane blacktops while some have widened to 4 lanes in more heavily traveled areas. So this particular property is going to be on a main road and not in a subdivision. Other FM roads in Rockwall are 205, 276, 551, 548, etc.
FM roads were the routes farmers took to sell their produce at the market. Hence, farm to market.

To answer your questions, you would need to know if that land is zoned for argriculture. If it's not, no horses. And you would also need to know if the land is zoned for commercial and residential. If it's not zoned commercial, no horse stall rental business.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 PM

Gottcha...it is zoned for horses....it says to bring them! haha! And it has a stable/pen. Not sure about the commercial. But good to know. I would just assume its a home-based biz, but I suppose not. See- that's the thing I needed to know! =)

Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
The general rule of thumb with horses and land in North Texas is that you need 1.5 acres per horse. Anything less than that and they will churn the pasture into mud when we get the spring rains. Looking at the photos of the property, the current owners currently have too many horses on it, and there is hardly any grass is the pasture. When it starts raining in April, that pasture is going to become a sea of mud. That's a pretty basic barn, and it honestly doesn't look like it has any features that a boarder would like, such as an arena, riding trails, tack storage, wash rack, etc. I wouldn't buy that property to keep my own horses on, and I seriously doubt you will find anyone to lease it. Even if you do, you may only get $250 a month (because they can only keep 2 horses on it) and the pasture will continue to be a sea of mud... There will also be repairs needed to the fence and barn, etc. Another question to think of: do you want strangers out on your property messing with their horses all the time? Horses have to be fed daily, and most working people do this really early in the morning before they go to work, or late in the evening when they get home...

Turtle Creek is misinformed about zoning. Rural land doesn't have to be zoned commercial to operate a horse boarding barn. Most stables are in Agricultural zoning.

If you're looking in that area for homes with land, tell your Realtor that you want to look at homes in Poetry. It's just a little further out, and you will get a LOT more home for your money!! I know of one on Holly Creek Road that is a bigger house, with more land and better horse facilities, and it is $25k LESS...

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM

Very good info! I don't know anything about horses- so everything you said is very good to know! And, I don't really think I would mind strangers coming to take care of their animals. As long as they don't have to come in my house! haha! A town called "Poetry"...that's great! I think I'll let my DH get this "land" thing out of his system and at least check out places with land. He's a city boy...and I think it just appeals to his rustic side. I can't take that away from him. I'll let him do it for himself. ha! Going to check out Poetry right now...

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Poetry is awesome! My parents have lived there since 1993. it's very peaceful and quiet, and for the most part, the homes are kept up really nicely. If you could wait 3 months, my parents' home will be for sale because they are downsizing and moving back into town. But they aren't quite finished with the house updates and cleaning out the attic, etc.

If your husband wants land but doesn't want to have to do a bunch of mowing, etc., look for more wooded lots. Out towards Poetry, there are a LOT of them.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,196 times
be very careful and look at the yearly taxes before you purchase.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
While Poetry is nice that would be a HORRIBLE commute for your husband to get to/from work and it would not work at all for your home based business.

Here is what you can do and it would not be right away unless you have some extra change sitting around After you get here and get settled into your full time home is go out and look at land or a lakehouse. You would be surprised at how many people around here have or their family has a farm/ranch, land in the country (even a small parcel on an acre) or a lakehouse. It is actually pretty popular and people spend long weekends out at their other place or a week or so in the summer. Get to know all of your neighbors and coworkers real well and he might get ya'll all invited to go out and spend some time at one of their places to get an idea of what it's all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas