Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM

17 posts, read 63,604 times

Advertisements

Wow, this forum is so helpful. Thanks everyone.
So two of the biggest factors in keeping people indoors are the heat and the mosquitos. Do the mosquitoes only appear in the hot summer months & at dawn/dusk? And are the mosquitos localised to certain areas (near water)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
Mosquitoes need water to breed - this is true. But that water could be in a rain gutter with improper drainage, a puddle in the yard, a birdbath, etc. It doesn't have to be much water.

This year was an extremely bad year for mosquitoes, so people are probably a little more on edge about them. We had an extremely abnormally wet summer. Most of June and half of July - we had rain - so there are many more mosquitoes compared to normal.

Yes, heat is pretty tough - especially during the peak of the day. But, if you are looking for a neighborhood/yard with mature shade trees, this can be minimized. Some folks put in water misting systems. A buddy of mine had one - and we sat on his patio under the shade of mature oak trees in mid summer. It was great!

So, at night, during the summer it can still be 85 degrees at 8pm. That's pretty warm for that time of night. A misting system can bring that down into the upper 70's, which is much better. Add to that one of the mosquito misting systems I mentioned, and you have the backyard that the neighborhood will flock to. Heck, you could have them bring the beer/wine and have social night all the time.

I suspect we will be installing both systems when we redo our back yard. We also have two beautiful 35-40' Red Oaks. If we can get the backyard to function/look like I do in my head... we will certainly be doing a lot of outdoor entertaining during the summer!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
The Dirt Doctor is not too keen on those mosquito misting systems. Personally, mosquitoes rarely bite me - I must not be sweet enough.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 PM

I've recently read something about having Vitamin B complex creating a natural mosquito repellent. Apparently it makes us smell like like Co2 or something like that. Dose up on B-complex for a natural repellent - or so I've heard...

Old 07-23-2007, 03:20 PM

303 posts, read 1,011,834 times
I've heard of that as well, haven't tried it though.
I was wondering, doesn't the city (or whoever does that) ever spray for mosquitoes? I've lived in several other cities, none of them had as many mosquitoes...

Old 07-23-2007, 05:20 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
The cities only spray for mosquitos when West Nile Virus is found and then only in that immediate neighborhood.

We don't live anywhere near water and our mosquitos are horrible. I was out 2 minutes the other day cleaning a paint brush and got 17 bites. Used to the first freeze in Nov/Dec would kill them off and we wouldn't see them until May, but they didn't get killed off this past winter.

The heat has not been bad this year so far. Usually it becomes unbearable around 9am and then it's still in the 90s at midnight. The only "cool" time is like 3am-9am. But this year is different - less heat, more humidity.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:46 PM

Winter only kills off the live ones. Their eggs stay there, dormant on the ground where water will eventually puddle. Unfortunately, we had a wed spring/early summer, so things took off - early and heavy. This year was horrible, but it's very nice to have EVERY lake in the Trinity River Basin full to the brim. Very uncommon for this time of year. We're going to be releasing water downstream for a month to get the lake levels down. Very strange to be saying that.

Brian

Old 07-24-2007, 01:04 AM

17 posts, read 63,604 times
So with all these mosquitos about does everyone keep their windows/doors closed or use mosquito repellent/nets inside the house?
There is some discussion that vitamin b12 repels mosquitos, hence the reason marmite is a natural remedy - maybe you don't have the pleasure of marmite in Dallas.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:51 AM

88 posts, read 366,886 times
Do people not spray themselves with OFF or DEET before going outside?? Doesn't that usually help the mosquito problem??

Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 AM

Markdo - the mosquito problem typically happens during summer, so people basically don't open their windows during those periods - but it's because of heat, not bugs. In the Spring and Fall, we open our windows and don't worry about bugs getting into the house - that's what screens were made for.

What's marmite? Never heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas