Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,305 times

Advertisements

So my boyfriend got a job at the Mapei plant in Garland, and he has to move Monday. They putting him up in a hotel until he can find an apartment or house. He is thinking he wants to live in between the city and the plant. He has an hour commute now and it's not fun. So what are some good neighborhoods for a modest budget? I won't be able to go until August because I don't gradaute until then and he obviously needs somewhere before then. Thanks guys!

EM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,673,661 times
The plant is at Garland Road and Shiloh, in an industrial area.

The part of East Dallas that is closest to the plant is Lochwood, and although you can live there on a modest budget, you need to be careful. The area on the west side of Shiloh (with the older brick homes) is decent, but the area on the east side of Shiloh (with the little frame homes) is downright scary and VERY high crime. When you cross Garland Road, and go east towards Barnes Bridge, the neighborhood gets even worse... If you keep going east on Garland Road, the homes get a little nicer, but once you cross Easton, they get huge and will quickly eclipse a "modest" budget.

Honestly, for a safe neighborhood with a short commute for your husband, I would look at South Garland. It's not towards the city, but it's definitely the safest in that area.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,606,647 times
The Lakewood area of Dallas is a very cool, hip area of young professional and also has some very expensive areas. It is living in the city. Near White Rock Lake, Central Market, etc. and is very well located for the work communte. Zip code 75214. Recommend you look there. You can search for rentals on realtor.com by zip; and in the "Homes for Sale" box, there's a drop down you can select rentals.

5714 Junius Street Dallas TX - Rental Home - MLS #11461664 - Realtor.com®

Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,692,464 times
A lot is going to depend on your budget and what kind of community you want to be in and if this is temporary and then find a house to buy in the next year or so to raise a family.

If you both are wanting to be around couples or singles that don't have kids in a more urban area for an apartment and a decent commute then I'd have him check out The Villages in Dallas. There are multiple apartment complexes that make up The Villages but most young single or married professionals live there to be close to downtown and other nightlife. The Village has been around for decades and has always catered to this crowd and would be a good way to get acclimated to the area and meet people w/ all of the functions that go on within that community.

Honestly, it is going to be hard to find an rent house within days that he can move right into within a week or so. That would be very tricky and a lot of luck.

If you both want something newer and he doesn't mind being further from downtown Dallas but still within Garland then look at the apartments and condos located within Firewheel Town Center (outdoor mall), Parkside at Firewheel up at 190 & 78. A commute from here would only be about 10-15 minutes. You could walk the mall area and walk to shopping, dining and the movies. To get to downtown from this part of town for nightlife really is not bad (I live close by in the Firewheel neighborhood) as I can be in Dallas at the AAC for a hockey or basketball game in evening rush hour in about 35-40 minutes and after the game home in about 25.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,111,078 times
I would recommend The Village apartments in 75206. It's a huge collection of apartments that all share the same club house, intramural fields, jog paths, tennis courts, etc. Very social place & perfect for a young couple right out of college. It's within a few blocks of several grocery stores, a ton of casual restaurants, other stores & basic services like manicures & dry cleaning, two Targets, a new Wal mart & Sam's that is under construction.

About 20 minutes to his office & he can avoiod highways by taking some of the bigger side streets.

About 5 minutes from NorthPark Mall and 10 minutes from Uptown, which is more expensive, but where many young professionals live & hang out. McKinney Ave there is lined with bars for about 2 straight miles!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks everyone for your input! He's going to be in a hotel for around 3 weeks or unless he can find a suitable apartment. He thinks he's going to rent for probably 6 months or so, and save a little money to by a house. I won't be able to move until August, so a 1/1 for a few months is not a problem.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:42 PM

509 posts, read 1,257,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflaem View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! He's going to be in a hotel for around 3 weeks or unless he can find a suitable apartment. He thinks he's going to rent for probably 6 months or so, and save a little money to by a house. I won't be able to move until August, so a 1/1 for a few months is not a problem.
There are many helpful people on this board as you have already seen. But you might want to give them an idea of how much your bf is looking to pay when he rents. When you say modest I imagine $600 but I could be wrong so give everyone an idea and that way they can steer you to that price range and a good location.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM

I'm not sure about rent, but I know he's looking for find a house for around 100K or less, depending on what kind of condition it is in, but for rent I'd guess 800 or less.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,111,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflaem View Post
I'm not sure about rent, but I know he's looking for find a house for around 100K or less, depending on what kind of condition it is in, but for rent I'd guess 800 or less.
$800 will get you into an older apartment in the Village, or the complexes to the south & east. Do not look north (across northwest Hwy) as that is not a safe neighborhood.

$100k homes are nearly impossible to find in a safe part of north/northeast Dallas (or north/ northeast suburbs). $125-150k makes it easier. $175-210k is really the "opening price point" for neighborhoods with good schools- Lake Highlands, Richardson, Hollywood Heights / Santa Monica, Junius Heights.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,673,661 times
TC's advice is VERY true. Honestly, if your budget is less than $100k, you are better off renting. You will be able to get a bigger place in a SAFE neighborhood. Those places I told you to stay away from (Lochwood frame houses and the ones off Barnes Bridge) are classic examples of homes under $100k...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
$800 will get you into an older apartment in the Village, or the complexes to the south & east. Do not look north (across northwest Hwy) as that is not a safe neighborhood.

$100k homes are nearly impossible to find in a safe part of north/northeast Dallas (or north/ northeast suburbs). $125-150k makes it easier. $175-210k is really the "opening price point" for neighborhoods with good schools- Lake Highlands, Richardson, Hollywood Heights / Santa Monica, Junius Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas