Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 7,672 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I´m a white guy and I´m thinking about moving to Dallas. Not now but in the near future.

This may sound ridiculous, trust me I don´t wanna offend anybody.
I wanted to ask you if living in a majority hispanic neighbourhood would be OK. I mean safety and etc.

Hispanics are the majority in many Dallas neighbourhoods and in the beginnings I won´t have so much money to live in richier parts.
I´m not racist but I´ve seen many black ghettos and I didn´t feel safe in these areas.

So, hopefuly it´s different with hispanic people. I mean, are they hardworking and peaceful citizens?

And btw I know there are many harworking black people....just don´t get me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Tough to answer your question. No matter the race, if you go into a neighborhood or apartment complex and you get this really bad feeling in your gut then you probably don't want to live there. There are many areas in the mid cities where the rents are cheaper and the communities are relatively safe. I assume you'll have a car to drive around.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
I lived in Miami for 3 years - that's a Hispanic neighborhood - and look - I'm still here!

But come to think about it, I barely made it outta there with my a$$ ...

I dunno though - some things about Hispanics did appeal to me - plus I always enjoyed the weather...

Old 02-26-2011, 01:53 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA.rocks View Post
Hi there,
I´m a white guy and I´m thinking about moving to Dallas. Not now but in the near future.

I wanted to ask you if living in a majority hispanic neighbourhood would be OK. I mean safety and etc.

Hispanics are the majority in many Dallas neighbourhoods and in the beginnings I won´t have so much money to live in richier parts.
I´m not racist but I´ve seen many black ghettos and I didn´t feel safe in these areas.

So, hopefuly it´s different with hispanic people. I mean, are they hardworking and peaceful citizens?

And btw I know there are many harworking black people....just don´t get me wrong.
Wow. Your hegemonic ignorance is just dripping.

Dallas is a massive city. It's not ear to ear Latino/Latina. Blacks live in every pocket of the city as well, some can even read I've be told but yet to see in person.

Are you moving to a low SES area the dominated by one racial group- that's a ghetto. Some are black, some a white, some latino, some mixed.

So if you're talking about a real wrong side of the tracks type of place- No one feels safe there. Southie, Compton, Flatbush- It's not the racial make-up but the poverty.

Ok, so onto hardworking Latinos. Lovely compliment. Backhanded at that. Like when our excellent family structure allowed us to pack 12 folks into a 2 bedroom apartment.

So I get the feeling that Black ghettos scare you more that Latino ghettos. Latinos at least have the whole West Side Story thing going for us, not Boyz n the Hood. Would you feel safer in a crystal-meth infested KY trailer park? You do concede some blacks work hard, maybe even the President.

Unless you're rock bottom SES, you can find a decent, safe, fairly integrated part of the city or suburbs to live in. People for the most part are live and let live. And folks that live in the 'ghetto' likely have more to worry about than a white guy moving in next door.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:09 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I own 2 properties in Dallas neighborhoods that are predominantly Hispanic. No problems w/either of these areas in terms of safety and pride in neighborhood; and a completely diverse group of tenants (Anglo, Hispanic and Black) are lease candidates when they are available.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Hi there,

If you have never lived among people of different races, then I can see where you are coming from. But really it is more dependent on the poverty of a neighborhood than it is on race. I grew up in a poor white neighborhood as a kid, and a lot of the white guys I played up with spent time in the pen. My family is 3rd generation Mexican, and right now I am working on my 3rd degree. We are hardworking and peaceful. So if you are moving to a ghetto, any ghetto, it is going to be bad. There are white ghettos, too in case you have never been to one. That's more common in rural areas, and believe me I have been to places that make Deliverance look like Candyland, and I'm sure I was just as afraid as you were in the black ghettos. Again you sound like a nice guy who just hasn't experienced much of different cultures.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I agree with DW above, you sound like a small town naive kind of guy. That's why I mentioned it doesn't really matter about race or heritage, go with the gut feel and do some research. If the place feels bad it probably is.

If you are looking to lease an apartment, contact a Apartment Leasing company to help you. Hopefully they can find you a safe place for your budget and it costs you nothing. (they get a referral fee)

Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 AM

621 posts, read 1,333,073 times
I live in the greater Dallas area now. But did live in Dallas. The neighborhood I lived in in 93 thru 97 was nice when I moved in, got worse as time and the Illegals moved in. I have no problem with hard working people no matter where they come from. Usually the neighborhoods decline and it's not safe there for you or your property.
This is just what I saw

Old 02-27-2011, 08:33 AM

247 posts, read 567,754 times
Mexicans are "in general" very hard working and peaceful citizens, and would make great neighbors. I wouldn't worry about them.

I have a zillion apartment complex customers, with one of my businesses, so I can give you a few tips here.

If money is an issue, which it sounds like it is, you CAN get some really cheap apartments in Dallas or the DFW area without living in a war-zoned ghetto. I would first recommend that you should checkout north Arlington (anywhere north of I-30) or east Fort Worth (off 30 & Eastchase Parkway) for apartments. Those areas tends to be relatively decent - and are far better than some of the many ghetto areas inside the city of Dallas (ie Fair Park, West Dallas, Pleasant Grove, etc). There is no or limited public transportation in Arlington, though Fort Worth does have The T system. So you will probably need a car over in that part of town.

Secondly, there are some apartments in NE Dallas that are very affordable too & still nice looking - and even though many parts of northeast Dallas are kind ghetto - in general anything north of I-30 tends to be far better than anything south of I-30, plus you WILL have access to the DART public transportation system. Along I-635 starting from Mesquite all the way to Greenville Ave, there are probably 10000 apartment units for rent ranging from $350 on up!

Good luck!

Quote:
Hi there,

Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 AM

509 posts, read 1,262,068 times
There are a lot of nice people on this board and I wouldn't want them to give their help in vain. So would you mind telling us a little more about yourself and why you have chosen (or are thinking) of Dallas. It seems to me like you are coming from out of the country (England?). And where have you gotten your ideas of what Hispanic people are like?

One of the most important piece of information that the helpful people on this board ask is where is your job. So will you have a job when you arrive? If you are not American, how will you deal w/getting a visa to get over here?

Like I said, there are lots of great people on here but I think you might need to give a little more information so that this thread does not become a bashing of the "illegals" (as so many anti-illegal people like to call them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas