U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,937 times

Advertisements

Big convention is rolling through the metroplex in May. The top billings are:

Stan Lee - creator of Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, Iron Man and many more Marvel super heroes

Leonard Nimoy - Star Trek's Mr. Spock

Carrie Fisher - Star Wars' Princess Leia

I've been a Stan Lee fan since I was 10 years old. This will probably be the last time he or Nimoy pass through the metroplex. I wanted to get the word out to as many fans as possible.

Complete list and info:
Quote:
[SIZE=2]The DALLAS COMIC CON returns in a big way this May 21-22!

The biggest comic book convention DFW has ever seen is coming up this May 21-22. This just in - Marvel Comics artist extraordinaire John Romita Jr. has been added to the guest list, the co-creator of KICK-ASS! With the impressive guests list and an exciting new convention center, this is shaping up to be an event you simply can't miss.

Special Comic Book Guests:
Stan Lee - creator of SPIDER-MAN, FANTASTIC FOUR, X-MEN
John Romita Jr. - legendary Marvel artist IRON MAN, SPIDER-MAN
Amanda Conner - artist POWER GIRL, THE PRO, VAMPIRELLA
Jimmy Palmiotti - writer of JONAH HEX, POWER GIRL, PUNISHER
Ethan Van Sciver - artist of GREEN LANTERN, FLASH, X-MEN
Bernie Wrightson - co-creator of SWAMP THING
Steve Niles - creator of 30 DAYS OF NIGHT, CRIMINAL MACABRE
Tim Bradstreet - cover artist PUNISHER, HELLBLAZER, HELLRAISER
Todd Nauck - noted SPIDER-MAN artist of the Barack Obama story
Mitch and Elizabeth Breitweiser - artists of CAPTAIN AMERICA
James O'Barr - creator and artist of THE CROW
Kristian Donaldson - artist of CHUCK, DMZ, 99 DAYS
Kerry Gammill - artist of SUPERMAN, POWER MAN AND IRON FIST

Special Media Guests:
Leonard Nimoy - Spock on original STAR TREK, star of FRINGE
Carrie Fisher - Princess Leia in original STAR WARS trilogy
Laurie Holden - star of THE WALKING DEAD, THE MIST
IronE Singleton - star of THE WALKING DEAD on AMC
John Wesley Shipp - star of THE FLASH, DAWSON'S CREEK
Amanda Pays - star of THE FLASH and MAX HEADROOM

There will be Q&A panels going on all weekend, and you can
shop the collectible-filled dealer room for fantastic bargains. The
show is held at the brand new Irving Convention Center, off of
O'Connor and 114 in Irving, TX. For all the latest info and full
schedule, check out
http://dallascomiccon.com [/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 08:35 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,658,584 times
This is really close to the same time as A-Kon. Not really a choice for my since I am definitely more a sci-fi and comics kinds of girl, but this may be a hard choice for some people. There's a lot of crossover between comic, sci-fi, and anime. Thanks for the heads up I will pass along the news to some friends.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 AM

2,676 posts, read 3,916,714 times
Sorry, I'm more a Star Trek Voyager, Doctor Who fan. But Nimoy is cool.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 AM

441 posts, read 1,646,038 times
Anyone interested in vintage scifi might consider googling up some X Minus One and Dimension X old time radio (OTR):

Quote:
"Initially a revival of NBC's Dimension X (1950–51), the first 15 episodes of X Minus One were new versions of Dimension X episodes, but the remainder were adaptations by NBC staff writers, including Ernest Kinoy and George Lefferts,[1] of newly published science fiction stories by leading writers in the field, including Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick, Robert A. Heinlein, Frederik Pohl and Theodore Sturgeon[2], along with some original scripts by Kinoy and Lefferts.

Included in the series were adaptations of Robert Sheckley's "Skulking Permit," Bradbury's "Mars Is Heaven," Heinlein's "Universe" and "The Green Hills of Earth", " Pohl’s "The Tunnel under the World," J. T. McIntosh’s "Hallucination Orbit," Fritz Leiber’s "A Pail of Air" and George Lefferts' "The Parade."[2]"
OTR shows like this are generally public domain and downloadable easily. Good stuff, Maynard.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 AM

4,625 posts, read 9,276,119 times
Stan Lee eh? Wow, you know how many billions of dollars has sprung forth out of that guy's imagination? And he's almost 90 and still full of life and energy. Amazing!

And Mr Spock! Wow, talk about an icon. He's doing pretty good for 80 himself. A fellow Bostonian too. Hope he lives forever.

And Princess Leia? Yum! I'd like to kiss her!

Bummer of course is we'll probably not be able to get within 100 feet of any of these folks. Oh well.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM

1,283 posts, read 3,198,836 times
Thanks for the info. Not my cup of tea...but my hubby will be interested

Old 02-28-2011, 12:18 PM

16,092 posts, read 37,733,700 times
What, no Lost in Space?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:30 PM

3,640 posts, read 7,083,987 times
Cool. I used to collect X-Men and Micronauts comics when I was a kid in the late 70s-80s. I will make plans for this.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM

868 posts, read 2,427,610 times
Dallas is having a Comic-Con??? Yes I'm so there!!!!!

I go to San Diego's CC every year (The mecca of all Comic Cons), and try to go to its sister con Wondercon every year in SF. Comic-Con's are more than just comics, and viewing the website for this it appears to be the same: it's a pop culture convention more than anything else, so it's comics, movies, TV, books, anime, etc. Look at the guest list so far, they'll have Carrie Fisher (Star Wars) and Laurie Holden (Walking Dead tv show) there. While Walking Dead is primarily a comic, having these tv/movie people shows that the CC is more than that. I'm buying my tix asap.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM

868 posts, read 2,427,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
This is really close to the same time as A-Kon. Not really a choice for my since I am definitely more a sci-fi and comics kinds of girl, but this may be a hard choice for some people. There's a lot of crossover between comic, sci-fi, and anime. Thanks for the heads up I will pass along the news to some friends.
May 21-22 is not really close to June 10-12 in my book. Plus admission to both is dirt cheap. I'm probably gonna attend both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or