U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2011, 12:45 PM
 
5,545 posts, read 1,888,979 times
Reputation: 1058

Advertisements

You+Dallas has recently uploaded two very well constructed videos on discussing the future of Downtown Dallas.

The first video is entitled What is the Future of Downtown Dallas?, with the caption "How Big D's streetlife vanished, and how it can return".

The second video is entitled Reimagining Downtown Dallas, with the caption "Assessing the Impact of Vincent Ponte's Tunnel System Plan on Downtown Dallas".

Please watch both videos.

What do you think the future of Downtown Dallas is? What do you think about the tunnel system in relation to the Downtown Dallas 360 Plan? What do you think needs to be done to revitalize Downtown Dallas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
 
1,283 posts, read 3,199,754 times
Reputation: 1063
Wow! I really enjoyed those! Thanks for posting.

You know, we didn't move to Dallas until 1978, and I was just a little kid then...so growing up, downtown was always a place to take the relatives when they came in town...to do the tourist thing and whatnot. But outside of that, it seemed to offer little. And up until maybe 10 years ago, I didn't even know the tunnel system existed. It is really interesting to hear the back story. I would love to see downtown flourish and turn into the exciting and vibrant area it could be.

Thanks again for sharing those. I'm bookmarking that site
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:06 PM
 
Location: TX
101 posts, read 204,396 times
Reputation: 57
Great information! We have only been living in Dallas for 4 month in the Art District, so close enough to downtown. It's sad to say Vicent Ponte's tunnel system absolutely killed downtown. I am just glad Neiman Marcus is still standing, and there are a few great restaurants in downtown, i.e. The French Room and Five Sixty. There are quite a few residential buildings in downtown and the Art District, but not a single supermarket like Whole Food is there (Farmers Market and Urban Market are total jokes). It's sad to see all the vacant office buildings, ugly massive car parks and the very low end retails on Elm street. I seriously don't know how long it will take to bring Dallas downtown back to life, but at lease Dallas is trying. Maybe Dallas can learn from some other more vibrant downtowns in the US?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 38,683,443 times
Reputation: 5787
I'd like to see the area where Reunion Arena was developed to include retail, dining and even a hotel and some offices. With the close proximity to the Dallas Convention Center a development of this kind could be a great asset to the city. I'm excited to see The Omni being constructed adjacent to the Dallas Convention Center but it is not near large enough for many of the large events that take place there. Another nice hotel in close walking distance and for major events at the DCC where even locals attend for a weekend..... might see even locals booking rooms to stay in downtown for the event instead of driving in every day. Add in a good sized development of retail and dining within a very easy walk of the Convention Center and it would be a HUGE success for the city. With DART rail having stops at the Convention Center and Union Station people that work in downtown or live there could easily hop on DART and go there for lunch or any time they wanted without having to rely upon a car for transportation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Dallas
333 posts, read 577,295 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'd like to see the area where Reunion Arena was developed to include retail, dining and even a hotel and some offices. With the close proximity to the Dallas Convention Center a development of this kind could be a great asset to the city. I'm excited to see The Omni being constructed adjacent to the Dallas Convention Center but it is not near large enough for many of the large events that take place there. Another nice hotel in close walking distance and for major events at the DCC where even locals attend for a weekend..... might see even locals booking rooms to stay in downtown for the event instead of driving in every day. Add in a good sized development of retail and dining within a very easy walk of the Convention Center and it would be a HUGE success for the city. With DART rail having stops at the Convention Center and Union Station people that work in downtown or live there could easily hop on DART and go there for lunch or any time they wanted without having to rely upon a car for transportation.
honestly, I'd rather work on the main street and west end area first, then to farmers market area and eventually that part of town. But I think we should start in the most dense areas that already exist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 38,683,443 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
honestly, I'd rather work on the main street and west end area first, then to farmers market area and eventually that part of town. But I think we should start in the most dense areas that already exist.
I'm not so sure I'd wait that long to develop such a great spot so close the the Dallas Convention Center. If it is developed nicely with retail, dining and another hotel w/in walking distance of the Convention Center it will bring in more revenue than just about any other development in West End or the Farmers Market area. I would hate for it to get developed by someone w/ no vision as it is just vacant land right now w/ an old empty parking garge. A parking garage that could be utilized for any development. We could attract more of the larger conventions and have somewhere for them to stay, eat and spend money with the many services that would be within walking distance. Then the city can take that revenue and put it into other areas of downtown without having to worry about where the funds would come from. Right now w/ the budget cuts everywhere going on we need to find ways to develop areas that will generate revenue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
 
30 posts, read 54,879 times
Reputation: 41
Just moved to downtown Dallas from Florida three months ago. I can tell it's better than it was, and it has TONS of potential. My biggest beefs: no grocery store (Urban Market, like fabulous_nobody wrote, is a joke) and almost everything closes at 7 pm. If I want to get something decent to eat, I almost have to get in my car and drive elsewhere. I see great reviews for some restaurants on Urban Spoon, but can't try them out and spend my money because they're only open 11 am-3 pm on weekdays (I work in the Tollway/635 area). I understand the restaurant owners' rationale -- why stay open for non-existent crowds -- but it becomes a spiral -- no one goes downtown because nothing's open.

Some good bars though, very nice architecture in places, some good public spaces. Like I said, lots of potential.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Dallas
333 posts, read 577,295 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'm not so sure I'd wait that long to develop such a great spot so close the the Dallas Convention Center. If it is developed nicely with retail, dining and another hotel w/in walking distance of the Convention Center it will bring in more revenue than just about any other development in West End or the Farmers Market area. I would hate for it to get developed by someone w/ no vision as it is just vacant land right now w/ an old empty parking garge. A parking garage that could be utilized for any development. We could attract more of the larger conventions and have somewhere for them to stay, eat and spend money with the many services that would be within walking distance. Then the city can take that revenue and put it into other areas of downtown without having to worry about where the funds would come from. Right now w/ the budget cuts everywhere going on we need to find ways to develop areas that will generate revenue.
I see where you are coming from, but these areas have already started. Mainly, I just don't want another Victory Park to land over there. I say we work our way out from the center. Even once downtown reaches critical mass, how much retail can downtown really support? Basically, I don't ever see downtown Dallas being what it used to be, thanks to the crappy 80's, our vision to have everything look brand new yet not practical, poor city leadership, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 38,683,443 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
I see where you are coming from, but these areas have already started. Mainly, I just don't want another Victory Park to land over there. I say we work our way out from the center. Even once downtown reaches critical mass, how much retail can downtown really support? Basically, I don't ever see downtown Dallas being what it used to be, thanks to the crappy 80's, our vision to have everything look brand new yet not practical, poor city leadership, etc.
OH NO!!! NO VICTORY PARK!!! YIKES! While the concept was/is good it is just the wrong time. When times are good that model works. Reminds me of what Willow Bend Mall tried to do and that was trying too hard to be very upscale. They tried to invent something that wasn't. If they would have stuck to something more middle of the road it would have gone over better from the start. The location is also an issue there. It's not right on a DART rail line for those that want to come in via mass transit. It's still a bit of a hike from other areas close by that offer late night or weekend appeal. It's kind of sandwiched into a tough spot. I'm there all the time for the hockey games and love it then..... other times I see no interest in even going there.

Whereas, if there was a lot of retail and dining options concentrated in one area like a village feel it would be different and it would draw more people that even live here locally and not just the conventioneers. I was downtown this weekend at the Dallas Convention Center for the largest national cheer competition and honestly........ there is NADA closeby for people to do when they have a couple of hours to kill. So they sit at the Convention Center and twiddle their thumbs, eat crappy overpriced food (or eat snacks they brought from home) and basically do nothing for a lot of hours thru the days they are here. Most people for conventions fly in just before they have to be here and fly out as soon as they can. Having somewhere within walking distance to service all of these people that they so desperatly try to get here for conventions would and could be a HUGE money making revenue boost for the city and the state of retail for Dallas. The Ft Worth Convention Center is much smaller but the nice thing is one can walk right out the front door and have numerous options right there for dining and shopping. Not to mention the number of hotels all within walking distance. Why can a city the size of Dallas not even rival FTW. I know Trammell Crow did not help at all when it came to hotels being developed connected to the Dallas Convention Center....... he is gone now and FINALLY Dallas is getting a hotel connected to the Convention Center. FINALLY!

Oh, and eating downtown on weekends when there is a large convention going on........... a PITA! Why? Because there are not even close to enough dining options available closeby to come close to servicing the number of people that are out looking for a decent meal. I've been in that massive mess myself and I live here and know where everything is and it is NOT FUN and I feel for the people that come here and go away thinking that our entire downtown area is so lacking in services.

Yes, a MAJOR grocery store does need to open up to service the downtown area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
 
Location: TX
101 posts, read 204,396 times
Reputation: 57
I read/heard the old post office building on 300 N Ervay is going to be transformed to apartments, and on the ground floor, there is going to be a 1800 sqf "Market". Hopefully it's not going to be another "Urban Market". Even a small Tom Thumb like the one in Highland Park Village or Snider Plaza will be a major improvement!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top