Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM

21 posts, read 39,980 times

Advertisements

I live in McKinney. My wife and I are interested in trying to get a garden started. Are there any concerns with starting a garden that anyone can think of in the McKinney area? I'm asking because I have heard a lot about the chemicals used for landscaping in the communities, and I was worried about that being a danger to anything we might try to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
you can get soil tested at Calloways--they send off a sample but unless your land was used for something toxic like landfill or something like that you should not have problem

you could always built beds on top of your yard's surface and use compost mix

Old 03-02-2011, 08:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Check with your HOA. Some of the HOA's in McKinney are strict to the point they only allow you to plant flowers from the approved list and some do not allow any swingsets. So check w/ them first.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times
FYI...since you are in Mckinney, the city's "green seminar" this week is on Spring Gardening and Square Foot Gardening. It's Saturday from 10-12pm at Fire Station #7. It is free to the public, though it recommended you register to insure enough seating. Might be a good place to ask your question

Here's the link:
Green Seminar: Spring Gardening

Spring Gardening 10-11am:
"Learn about selecting beautiful native and adapted plants and trees which are naturally drought tolerant and resistant to pests and diseases. The less watering, fertilizing, and chemical control required in your yard, the more you contribute to the conservation and preservation of our precious water resources. The seminar is free.
Presentor: Rob Wier from Shades of Green Nursery"

Square Foot Gradening 11-12pm:
"Learn the principals of square foot vegetable gardening from Collin County Master Gardener Jim Ewolsen."

Hope to see you there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Check with your HOA. Some of the HOA's in McKinney are strict to the point they only allow you to plant flowers from the approved list and some do not allow any swingsets. So check w/ them first.
That's crazy! Which HOA is that, out of curiosity?...so I can advise people not to look there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas