Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,751,730 times

Advertisements

***Not sure if this belongs here or in Work/Employment, please move it over if its in the wrong spot***

Hi, I would very much like to get into Southwest Airlines (yeah, yeah me and everyone's brother) or American Airlines. I've applied for a ton of jobs in the DFW area with them in the recent weeks (heard nothing back yet) and will be moving there once I graduate (with a B.S. in Business Technology and Management). For spring break I will be flying down to DFW to apartment hunt and such and I was thinking about dressing up real nice, bringing a resume or two and visiting HQ. I would hope it would show my willingness, drive, determination to get a job with a company I love, but honestly, is that a good idea? Would it honestly, increase my chances to get my foot into the door or would it some how back fire or worse is it just plain laughable? If you think its a good idea; do you have any tips? "Hi, my name is __, I'm interested in a job with SWA/AA, is there anyone I could speak with?" Ideas/comments?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:52 PM

501 posts, read 1,191,325 times
Are you aware that Southwest is located at Love Field in Dallas, while American is located at DFW Airport? These are not anywhere near the other, but across town from one another. As a prior employee of AA, they do not accept walk ins, as everything is by appointment, including interviews. You need to go online and submit your resume/application. Neither will hire "on the spot" without you first undergoing a complete background check and drug test. Sometimes, that can take weeks, or even months. Have you thought about being a flight attendant? Most airlines are hiring for that position....Good luck to you!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
It might go over better at Southwest than AA because their culture is a bit "quirkier"......but in the post -9/11 security era, it's going to be darn hard to walk into any HQ unnanounced and actually see a HR person. At my company's HQ, you cannot walk more than 20 feet into our HQ building without having to present ID and if you are not an employee, you have to be on an "invited guest" list to get past security.

If you are flying to Dallas ONLY to show up in person, I think it's a waste of money.

You should apply online and see if you can follow-up with a phone call or email saying "I'll be in the DFW area March x-xx and would love to meet with you while I'm in town".

Also, be aware that MANY corporations are sparsely populated during spring break- it is a very popular vacation week since everyone's kids are out of school.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,751,730 times
Hello and thanks for the responses. I was actually a flight attendant for a Continental Connection carrier a few years ago and have worked on the ramp and at an FBO, so I am well aware of the aviation industry and do know where both HQ are located (AA is in Ft. Worth, not the airport, but anywho...) Thanks so much for your responses.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:04 PM

225 posts, read 518,732 times
Here are a few tips for you for SWA:

*You'll have to apply online, not in person.

*Articulate why you're different from the other 200 applications they will already have for the job you'll be applying for. They are looking for what they call "stars" to fit into their fun loving culture. The best way to do this is to write in your own words how you can add value to their already incredible company. You sound like your pretty passionate about the airline industry so work from that feeling.

*If you get to the interview phase, know that they are probably going to ask you questions to put you on the spot. Be honest and transparent.

*If you've made it to the interview, afterward follow up like crazy....even if you're told some version of "no". Sometimes, depending on the personality for the type of job you want...they are testing you to see if you give up easily or not.

*I wouldn't recommend showing up. It won't help. I know of an applicant that rented a billboard next to SWA and though it was creative...it didn't get him the job. Don't do anything like that...just do your best to articulate your value online so you can get an interview set up to show them who you really are.

Ryan

Old 03-02-2011, 03:15 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
I have very good friends who are long-term employees at both SWA and AA.

Showing up in person at SWA HQ will accomplish nothing. You will be turned away by the guard at the door. You MUST apply online! Be advised that SWA gets over 100,000 resumes a year. If you can network and find someone to hand-deliver your resume to HR, in addition to applying online, it will greatly increase your chances. A few years ago, my friend hand-delivered my resume and I got to the second interview, but I didn't get the job. SWA is notorious for "hiring for attitude and training for ability" so higher education has less value to them.

With AA, you also MUST apply online and even then, it helps to have a network contact or to be the child/spouse of an AA employee. The person I know there got her job because her mother was a flight attendant and her father was a pilot, and she has been there for almost 20 years.

Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: