Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:43 PM

714 posts, read 2,933,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
presumably because the person who bought it sold it to someone there

there is nothing new about this--just the fact that the gun was TRACEABLE--
the person who used it was too stupid to acid etch the serial number and make it untraceable

the real question is why does anyone need an automatic assault rifle if he/she is not a member of the armed forces or police dept--
because that answer (to kill people with rapid fire power) is hard to digest, most people don't want it asked at all...

My question was directed to how a gun gets across the border?

BECAUSE WE HAVE A POROUS OUT OF CONTROL BORDER! Criminals, drugs, and guns go through it everyday like water in a sieve.

Why do we need cars that go over 70 mph? Why do I need 4 televisions in my home, when only two people live there? Why does Jerry Jones have million of dollars when he could get by on a few million????? Why do many people have more than one car??

If we start living by what we just need, what the heck's the use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
I am impressed that loves2read knows how to acid-etch a gun to avoid identification! I used to watch a lot of Perry Mason and I never heard that one.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 PM

271 posts, read 394,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
My question was directed to how a gun gets across the border?

BECAUSE WE HAVE A POROUS OUT OF CONTROL BORDER! Criminals, drugs, and guns go through it everyday like water in a sieve.

Why do we need cars that go over 70 mph? Why do I need 4 televisions in my home, when only two people live there? Why does Jerry Jones have million of dollars when he could get by on a few million????? Why do many people have more than one car??

If we start living by what we just need, what the heck's the use?
Very insightful as to why drug abuse, gun crimes, and the criminal element that comes along with it is so bad right now...nobody wants to curtail their consumption.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
the real question is why does anyone need an automatic assault rifle if he/she is not a member of the armed forces or police dept--
because that answer (to kill people with rapid fire power) is hard to digest, most people don't want it asked at all...
WHY is this the "real" question"? What sort of "real" question is it? What does THAT mean?

Actually, I would say the REAL question is why do you presume the moral/intellectual high ground to ask such a question? Why do YOU take for granted that no one but law-enforcement and military "need" them? What is the rationale for that? What do they need them for?

Do you have any fact/figures for that what you call "automatic" assault weapons -- in fact, could you even define them? -- are not possessed/used for peaceful purposes by lawabiding citizens a percentage rate that exceeeds 99% (which matches the purity of silver or gold round coins?), for honest shooting, collection, aesthetic, etc, purposes?

Put up or get off your didactic high horse. Texas pun intended.

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-04-2011 at 08:11 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
@Lakewooder--
check out The Wire HBO series or just read some crime fiction--
acid-etching is pretty much common knowledge--just like the fact that all cars have 3 or 4 easy-to- find VIN number locations and one that is MUCH more difficult to locate and different for different models--
so that police can trace abandoned/destroyed cars through it if the others have been removed or destroyed

@TexasReb--
I would think the topic of this thread--how a Border Patrol agent was KILLED by a criminal using this same "stolen" or whatever gun is evidence for why I would ask that question...
I know that guns are not animated and can't walk around shooting people unless there is a finger tied to a hand linked to an arm and eventually to some type of human consciousness--althought I think the "human" description can vary...
I own guns, shoot guns, respect guns--
which is why I know that having the proliferation of automatic weapons that the US and the world is experiencing is just not that great for society...
The shooting in Arizona of the Congresswoman and other civilians is proof of that...
while there are people who don't abuse the "right" of owning automatic weapons--there are criminal enterprises that flourish because of them/automatic weapons and others--guns are easy to get in this country whether it is through legal or illegal means

In the name of the "greater" good--I see no purpose served by having them (automatic weapons) available to anyone without a true need--not just a "want"
That is MY opinion and I have a right to it as much as you have a right to yours--
and I certainly did not use the antagonistic tone you exhibited to my comments...

It is pretty obvious that police and security forces need them to combat criminals who use them against police and civilians...
why a civilian in a normal living situation needs a fully automatic rifle I can only imagine comes from the belief that s/he will be attacked by someone using the same or because they expect an armed uprising where only automatic weapons can mow down the assault of zombies or something a la Zombieland...

Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
@Lakewooder--
check out The Wire HBO series or just read some crime fiction--
acid-etching is pretty much common knowledge--just like the fact that all cars have 3 or 4 easy-to- find VIN number locations and one that is MUCH more difficult to locate and different for different models--
so that police can trace abandoned/destroyed cars through it if the others have been removed or destroyed

@TexasReb--
I would think the topic of this thread--how a Border Patrol agent was KILLED by a criminal using this same "stolen" or whatever gun is evidence for why I would ask that question...
I know that guns are not animated and can't walk around shooting people unless there is a finger tied to a hand linked to an arm and eventually to some type of human consciousness--althought I think the "human" description can vary...
which is why I know that having the proliferation of automatic weapons that the US and the world is experiencing is just not that great for society...
The shooting in Arizona of the Congresswoman and other civilians is proof of that...
while there are people who don't abuse the "right" of owning automatic weapons--there are criminal enterprises that flourish because of them/automatic weapons and others--guns are easy to get in this country whether it is through legal or illegal means

In the name of the "greater" good--I see no purpose served by having them (automatic weapons) available to anyone without a true need--not just a "want"
That is MY opinion and I have a right to it as much as you have a right to yours--
and I certainly did not use the antagonistic tone you exhibited to my comments...

It is pretty obvious that police and security forces need them to combat criminals who use them against police and civilians...
why a civilian in a normal living situation needs a fully automatic rifle I can only imagine comes from the belief that s/he will be attacked by someone using the same or because they expect an armed uprising where only automatic weapons can mow down the assault of zombies or something a la Zombieland...

It's a little difficult for me to digest the notion that you are a gun owner/shooter while you continue to imply that-that gun is an automatic.

THE GUN IN QUESTION IS NOT AN AUTOMATIC

Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 AM

277 posts, read 696,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I say we give Ft Worth the credit for this one.

Which........ why was this posted on the Dallas forum and NOT the FTW forum????
Maybe because the guy that purchased the gun is from Lancaster? A Dallas burb.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
TexasReb--
Then the so-called "question" is mis-directed. And, quite frankly, ridiculous. And further, using (intentional or not) a tragedy for ideological advantage. Hey, Loves2Read? No need to put KILLED in caps. I know full well what it means and why it happened and take a backseat to no one in terms of sympathy and prayers.

But the origins of the problem are the failure of the United States to control its illegal problem -- the man was a border control officer, right? -- not because of lax gun control laws in our country. Which is your priority if you want to frame it as an either/or thing?

Quote:
If this is true, then you ought to know that other of your fellow gun owners who shoot might just like to shoot what you erroneously claim is an automatic weapon. Look up the diference.

Quote:
Read again on the "automatic weapons" thing, ok? It is very hard to take you seriously when you cannot make simple distinctions. But hmmmm...does that mean that gun control laws don't work in Mexico? So because they don't, that United States citizens ought to defer to that fact by giving up their own rights? Sorry, but only a true believer could see it that way (Lenin called them "useful idiots"...his words, not mine)

Quote:
Ahhh, yeah, in the name of the "greater good." The almighty 'greater good'. Whatever the hell that means. In the name of "our children" or "social justice" or some other such emotive nonsense. Gawd, in the name of the ever illusive "greater good" one could find justification for sacrificing their first born children. But ok...as it is, gosh..by golly, Loves2Read sees "no purpose". That ought to settle it all, shouldn't it?

Geez. Typical reply from a certain sect of the left. Usually soccer-moms or limousine liberals. Translation: Moi sees no need for (whatever) so therefore no one else should have a need for (whatever).

Quote:
Yes, you do have a right to your opinion and to speak it aloud. It comes courtesy of, and protection by, the Second Amendment.

Quote:
Again and again, you will have more credibility when you can at least distinguish between a fully automatic and semi-automatic.

But anyway, you go ahead and engage in sophomoric sarcasm with the cutsey, clever, drivel about zombies from Zombobia. My, my, how original.

Unfortunately, gulags and graveyards are full -- a million and a bakers dozen times over -- of the victims of your vision and outlook.

How pathetic. How truly sad and pathetic.

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-05-2011 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
And how does a gun bought in the USA, get to Mexico????????
Perhaps "walked" over by the BATF authorized by the Justice Department?

This is finally coming out in mainstream media vs. being covered up when anonymous sources have leaked it out.

Agent: I was ordered to let U.S. guns into Mexico - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Old 03-05-2011, 04:09 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Ranferi Osorio, Otilio Osorio and Kelvin Leon Morrison Complaint Press Release

Yep, three punks in Lancaster had quite a little business going on. The CBS report was weak imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas