Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Have they really? I have only been there a couple of times and that was years ago. What closed? Is it turning into another Southlake?
Last time I was up there it looked like it was on its way to become another Town East Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post

REMEMBER, this is TX. If you buy to old of an home, just like i did(mine was built in 93) your electric will be thru the roof in the summer. Mine is 600-800 a month.
Not necessarily true. I lived in a home built in 1983 and my electric bill was about $280 a month in the summer and I keep it at 78 degrees. Depends on how efficient the A/C system is and what kind of insulation/windows you have. An older home can be made very efficient

Last edited by DaveG99; 03-07-2011 at 07:35 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Last time I was up there it looked like it was on its way to become another Town East Mall.
Yikes...I guess Frisco isn't as upwardly mobile as previously thought.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Weird how this thread turned from homes in McKinney or Allen to shopping centers in Dallas.

Just about any downtown area in older towns close to Dallas will be "hit or miss". If you are looking for an older historic home, that's just what you get. I'd say that McKinney is as good as, or better than most. The shopping district in the downtown area is DEFINITELY better than most with a decent assortment of restaurants and shops. Nice place to live IMHO.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,660,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Not necessarily true. I lived in a home built in 1983 and my electric bill was about $280 a month in the summer and I keep it at 78 degrees. Depends on how efficient the A/C system is and what kind of insulation/windows you have. An older home can be made very efficient
If it has been redone, most havent so it would be very important to check that before buying. AC's from the mid 90's or before are not efficent at all. Windows are much more efficent now then they used to be. You have to take this into consideration when buying a older home. You will have to deal with higher electric bills or spend a fair amount of money to update.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 AM

85 posts, read 158,409 times
Honestly, Allen is not worth considering unless you want a new cookie cutter house at cheap price and living style or resale value are non issues.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano Guru View Post
Honestly, Allen is not worth considering unless you want a new cookie cutter house at cheap price and living style or resale value are non issues.
Versus what? A really old home with supposed charm. Really? One that you have to dump money into.

An acutally Allen has good resale. Thats a fact. It has limited land left to build on which pushes up property values just like Plano. Hmm. Plano is your screen name. Wow.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
If it has been redone, most havent so it would be very important to check that before buying. AC's from the mid 90's or before are not efficent at all. Windows are much more efficent now then they used to be. You have to take this into consideration when buying a older home. You will have to deal with higher electric bills or spend a fair amount of money to update.
However, don't forget the costs associated for living in the new home that could be much futher from ones job. Higher gas prices, higher milage on ones car which lowers the value of it, higher risk of being in an accident due to more time/miles on the road, more maintenance to do on ones vehicle (more frequent oil changes, tires, etc), tolls if one has to use a tollroad in their longer commute, etc. Less time w/ family should also be taken into account as that is something one can never get back.

This is of course relative IF the new house w/ the more efficient A/C and windows is a good distance further from the persons job than the older house.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Versus what? A really old home with supposed charm. Really? One that you have to dump money into.
Um, I've owned TWO brand new homes and had to "dump money" into them as well. Things like window coverings, lawns, flowerbeds, etc. Bought my 3rd home pre-existing and it had more landscaping than I'd ever dreamof doing and I LOOOOOOOVE IT! All the wooden shutters already installed and good for me that the rooms w/ the very nice custom drapes happened to be our style and matched our furniture as well . Saved me a TON of money in the long run. Purchasing a new home does not prevent one from having things to dump money into it. New homes can have issues as well. If one buys a house are recommends someone buy a new house based on it needing "less" money....... one is only fooling themselves. There is a lot more to consider than just the age of a house.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Um, I've owned TWO brand new homes and had to "dump money" into them as well. Things like window coverings, lawns, flowerbeds, etc. Bought my 3rd home pre-existing and it had more landscaping than I'd ever dreamof doing and I LOOOOOOOVE IT! All the wooden shutters already installed and good for me that the rooms w/ the very nice custom drapes happened to be our style and matched our furniture as well . Saved me a TON of money in the long run. Purchasing a new home does not prevent one from having things to dump money into it. New homes can have issues as well. If one buys a house are recommends someone buy a new house based on it needing "less" money....... one is only fooling themselves. There is a lot more to consider than just the age of a house.
All things equal, a new home will have much less issues then a much older home. Thats just a fact. I have owned both. I am getting ready to sell my home that was built in 93. I have been in it 5 years, and there is alot more to be done then when I sold my new home right before I moved in to this.
Unless I am planning to totally redo a older home( say anything built before the late 90's), I will never buy an older home again. Too many issues to deal with. Its just not as easy and fun. I work alot and I prefer not to work at home. I think we might actually start town home living. I like everything be taken care of for me.

This is just me, but I still say cost are much lest on a newer home personally .

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-17-2011 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas