U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM

428 posts, read 1,286,493 times

Advertisements

So I would like to expand or add-on to my home and would like some advise. I live in the Midway Hollow area (close to Love Field Airport).

1. Do I need to tell the city what I am planning to do?
2. Are there limits on what you can do?

Im planning to add a full large room. Will welcome any advise.
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM

32,505 posts, read 50,986,809 times
don't know Dallas code for remodeling--
you can check the Dallas city web site and it probably has info about that
I know in Bedford if you add NEW electricity or plumbing or move any of those fixtures to new area--you have to get city permit and pay fee based on amount of the remodeling you are doing

Old 03-07-2011, 04:59 PM

14,872 posts, read 38,943,612 times
You will need a building permit and they may request a copy of the blueprints. Are you using a general contractor or a completely DYI? If you are using a GC they will handle all of the city permits and inspections. You will need to find out the setbacks and abide by those. Again, a good GC will call the city they are working in and find out the setbacks, building codes/requirements (type of materials that must be used, etc), apply for permit, schedule inspections, etc.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM

300 posts, read 1,159,965 times
Everything momof2 said. Also, really consider your GC and MAKE SURE they are qualified, licensed, bonded, insured and have glowing referrals from past clients. ASK for their paperwork, license number, etc.. Ask for referrals, or better yet, if you can see one of their current projects. Any great GC will have many past clients who won't mind talking to you. Its totally fine and normal to do this. Don't feel bad about it. If you are adding on to a ground floor, you will require a foundation of some sort- that's important and major. Make sure you choose well!

Im in the biz, but I still have a lot to learn about TX. Here in CA, its the homeowners job and duty to check out who they hire. If they hire a GC who is not licensed, bonded, insured, etc. and they mess up- there is almost ZERO recourse in the court of law AND your home owners policy won't help if you hired an unqualified person to tweak with your house. You CAN have ANYONE work on your house. You can even do it yourself....but you are responsible for the outcome, and in some cases, give up your rights to recourse if someone f's it up. So check sources, follow up on them and be responsible with this decision!

Last edited by preppyglam; 03-07-2011 at 11:59 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 07:26 AM

2,395 posts, read 8,004,602 times
Adding on a room will most definitely require permits. Do not do the work without having all the right permits or you're looking for trouble. If you have a GC, make sure they pull permits (and don't just say they're pulling permits - require they provide them to you - then make a file and put that with all your receipts - you'll need that documentation to cover yourself come resale time).

Brian

Old 03-08-2011, 10:35 AM

14,872 posts, read 38,943,612 times
We built a 5 car garage on our lot, started moving dirt 2 years ago next week. We hired a GC and they did a great job. He took care of everything from checking with the city and getting all permits and inspections lined up. All we had to do was basically write the checks for each draw. We hired an architect to do the plans based on the drawings I provided and she even checked w/ the city to verify all the setbacks, height restrictions, etc. This way when it came time to build the GC pretty well knew that everything was up to code. I already knew all of the codes for setbacks and such that the city has as well as our HOA before we even started with the architect. Makes it much easier from the get-go to have everything all lined up.

Oh, you might not be aware of this but you might have to provide a port-a-potty for the crew. It was included in our contract w/ the GC. I joked we were just going to keep it and brick it,

Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 PM

428 posts, read 1,286,493 times
Great info guys! Appreciated.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 7,683,270 times
DO NOT assume that your GC has gotten all the permits. Double check that yourself. It will be less likely if you have checked their references, but there's still a level of trust there. And if your contractors do not pull the permit, the city absolutely has the right to tell you to tear it down or get the appropriate permits. In addition, if what you are planning to build doesn't meet the code (which is where the permitting process is critical) then you will have to modify your plans.

We have some neighbors who trusted their contractor to pull the permits for their cedar pergola. It didn't fit HOA or city restrictions and they were forced to tear it down after appealing to Zoning Board of Appeals (which is the final authority for a municipality and not appeal-able to the City Council). We used the wood to smoke the pig at our annual neighborhood luau. Expensive fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: