Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 AM

283 posts, read 404,759 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Getting a 12yr old house (no pool) in Allen. Shopping for home warranty(~$500). Currently looking at Allied Home Warranty and Old Republic Home Warranty. Any advice in terms of customer service, coverage and speed response ?

Thanks !
Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Hard to give advice since every situation with the companies is different on quality & responses. Lately I've been recommending One Guard who has been doing a good job for my clients the last few years.

I would get the upgraded service which should run you under $430. I also would not renew the warranty after the 1st year.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
we use American Home Shield--came with the house purchase and we have renewed it
we have large built in refrigerator that was out of warrenty when we bought the house and is expensive to service/replace
we used the warrenty service several times for the dishwasher which seems to keep getting clogged no matter what I do
for the driveway gate which burned out its brain
for a plumbing leak which happened in second floor bathroom

used it a couple of weeks ago for dryer problem but the guy who came out checked the heat level dryer was putting out and said that the vent tube is clogged and it is not venting properly--
which was not covered

we pay $60 up front for service call--have no control over who picks up the request--Sears has done the dishwasher and even though the dryer is a Kenmore unit--a guy from Irving came out...

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 AM

136 posts, read 843,680 times
OneGuard (Home Warranty Protection - OneGuard). Go for it.

I'm very happy with them & have a couple of other friends who would agree with my recommendation.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:45 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,526,291 times
I got a flyer in the mail the other day for one that included your A/C and heater service, as well as pest control and termite control. Seems like it was around $550/year, which really isn't too bad if it includes those services. Don't remember who it was through since I tossed it in the trash, but you might look for one where you get extras like that.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 PM

24 posts, read 140,413 times
Default Choose anyone except First American Home Warranties

We had a terrible experience with First American when our A/C unit broke down last summer. Even we had a new born in house, their response was slow. It took them nearly 3 weeks to fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard88 View Post
Hi,
Getting a 12yr old house (no pool) in Allen. Shopping for home warranty(~$500). Currently looking at Allied Home Warranty and Old Republic Home Warranty. Any advice in terms of customer service, coverage and speed response ?

Thanks !
Richard

Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,262,597 times
I used American Home Shield for several years and every time when we filed a claim, they tried to get out of it and find excuses that it wasn't covered or they ordered the wrong part etc.

I have switched to Home Warranty Of America a couple of years ago and they have a 13 month service contract, they have a superior customer service.

Naima

Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 AM

51 posts, read 217,930 times
We use Choice Home Warranty. They seem to be responsive when we applied and inquired for information. We have not had any problem so far (knocking on the wood), so we don't know how good their home service is.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
I used to use AHS but they tried to get out of paying everytime. We, and a couple of others in our street, cancelled AHS as we had similar experiences. I switched to One Guard and have been happy.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,662,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard88 View Post
Hi,

Thanks !
Richard
I have used American Home Shield for 5 years. The customer service is really good, and they have comptetive prices. Response time is good to.
They replaced both of my water heaters about 2 years ago. It cost me the 60 appointment fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas