Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 07:01 PM

111 posts, read 266,807 times

Advertisements

Does a child have an advantage with being in an IB program or a magnet program when applying for college?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
FSK

6 posts, read 17,750 times
I attended the Lakewood Elementary "Kindergarten Meet and Greet" recently and was told by the principal that they had evaluated the IB PYP program and decided not to adopt it. Is it still being considered by the other elementary feeder schools?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:16 AM

83 posts, read 359,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsa jamal View Post
... my kids now in 2,3 and 5 ... I want to send them to best Ib school please help.most of the school admission is close. and doing search I have gone crazy...
North Hills Preparatory is the only school in DFW area which has international Baccalaureate for Primary, Middle and High(Diploma)

There is only two other schools in whole Texas which provides IB in Primary, Middle and High.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Currently the BEST IB program in the DFW area is at Bell High School in the HEB ISD district--in Tarrant county--
this high school's program is one of the longest in place and has turned in some of the highest success % of ANY IB school in its world-wide program....
there are more students IN this program % than in many similar sized high schools and there are high numbers of students who receive the maximum scores on their senior submissions--

You can contact the IB coordinator for the school via the Bell web site and validate this info--
Bell's IB program gets better stats than the one at the sister school--Trinity--(HEB started IB in BOTH high schools in this district vs making the IB program a magnet program--something most districts don't do because of added expense)
but it is also earning better stats than other IB schools in TX--
and those are IB national comments--not just mine
you can contact the IB coordinator via Bell's web site and validate my comments

Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan70 View Post
Does a child have an advantage with being in an IB program or a magnet program when applying for college?
Depends on the grades and the test scores that the IB or AP student makes. As well as their other pursuits during high school that make them strong ideal candidates for college. Some are highly sought after.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 20,169 times
My kids were going to Ib , I'm very happy with the system but if the school is not Ib Its ok. The study should be very stong ,strict and diciplined. because all Ib are not equally good. there is north hill and westwood but admission is close.Does anybody know what is imagineschool because one is coming up near frisco. thank sooooo much for all the help bless you'll .I'll do the reseach.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The only IB school IN Dallas is Woodrow Wilson High - .
Sorry, Lakewooder. Woodrow maybe the only PUBLIC school. Dallas International School offers the IB and is open to high school applications. Students can do an English-language IB or a dual-language IB (French & English). DIS is in Dallas, too

Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
You're right! You know how I tend to disregard most private schools... TIBS - Texas IB Schools

To the subject of Lakewood Elementary - I was in a meeting with all the WW/Long feeder elementaries a year or so ago and some of the principals embraced PYP and others didn't. The Lakewood principal she didn't think 'she' needed it as her school is one of the best in Texas already. She may be right about that.. I don't know that it was "evaluated" by anyone else, as I personally know several parents who are for applying for PYP. DISD is encouraging all the principals in the feeder pattern to apply. I don't know if they will coerce any of them. Such coercion might however come from the parents - especially at schools like Stonewall and Lakewood. Stonewall has in the past had more of an international focus and that principal seemed open to the idea - as well as the Lipscomb principal. Personally I think it would be good for Robert E. Lee but I'm not sure the principal there is a fan, either.

The Woodrow Wilson High School Community Foundation is behind the scenes encouraging some of the schools to apply http://www.woodrowfoundation.org/

As we know, principals can change - also some of them are probably taking a wait-and-see approach to this..

Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,186 times
Quote:
North Hills Preparatory is the only school in DFW area which has international Baccalaureate for Primary, Middle and High(Diploma)
NO. Westlake Academy in Westlake is ALL IB from K-12.

Now you have to have $$$$ to live in Westlake but if you do your kids can attend and it's a public charter school.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Westlake residents are the only ones whose children are GUARANTEED place at the Westlake Academy--other spots are filled by lottery I think--unless you are from outside the residency and already have child there--then siblings have preference if they qualify otherwise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas