Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM

11 posts, read 18,948 times

Advertisements

I live in Allen but I am not happy with high school here so I am considering a move to Plano. I am fimiliar with the area but just can not decide which area of Plano.I am willing to buy a house for 500,000 and spend 25,000-50,000 to do upgrades/repairs . Any advice or suggestion is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:36 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Do you think you are going to find anything different at a high school in Plano? They cities have huge highschools.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:42 AM

64 posts, read 166,973 times
There is something I do not understand: here in the USA, if you live in a place, are you forced to send your kids into a school which is designated specifically for those who live in the same area? Can't you choose to bring your kids elsewhere, without the need to relocate?
Sorry if the question seems silly but I still have to learn how things work here .

Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 AM

They offer International Baccalaureate program in PISD which is not available in AISD. Their wide range of AP courses and fierce competition is another attraction for my daughter. Our older went to high school in plano and we can see the difference since younger one is currently enrolled here in AISD. I'm not bashing Allen schools or anything but we feel that PISD meets our daughter's needs better.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw geek View Post
I live in Allen but I am not happy with high school here so I am considering a move to Plano. I am fimiliar with the area but just can not decide which area of Plano.I am willing to buy a house for 500,000 and spend 25,000-50,000 to do upgrades/repairs . Any advice or suggestion is welcome.

The senior high schools in the Plano ISD are just as big at Allen HS. To get to the smaller high schools but still be on the north side of Dallas you are going to need to look in Richardson or Garland. Both have outstanding high schools that are much smaller. You should be able to find a house that is already updated or new for $500K in both areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaladh View Post
There is something I do not understand: here in the USA, if you live in a place, are you forced to send your kids into a school which is designated specifically for those who live in the same area? Can't you choose to bring your kids elsewhere, without the need to relocate?
Sorry if the question seems silly but I still have to learn how things work here .
Each state is different. In Texas we have independent school districts. Most are based on the city they are located in and serve but do not always follow city limit boundries. You MUST attend the school that is the district in which you live. That is the school district that you pay taxes to and can send your children to since you are "paying for it" thru your taxes. If one were to say live in Allen in the Allen ISD and they pay property taxes to Allen ISD why would Plano ISD want to accept a student into their schools and that person NOT pay taxes into the Plano ISD. Then to get more specific, each school district has attendance zones for each level of school (elementary, middle and high school). You live in x subdivision your zoned to A elementary, B middle school and C high school. If you want to send your child to D elementary that is in a different attendance zone than where you live then you would have to ask for a transfer and it might not be granted and there is on gaurantee your child could stay at that school every year IF more kids move into that zone that would take their place.

What this does is it has the ones that are using that school district paying for it (minus Robin Hood and all) thru their property taxes. It also allows the school districts to watch growth to know where to build new schools and they can base their attendance zones on the need for each area in their distrit.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
They offer International Baccalaureate program in PISD which is not available in AISD. Their wide range of AP courses and fierce competition is another attraction for my daughter. Our older went to high school in plano and we can see the difference since younger one is currently enrolled here in AISD. I'm not bashing Allen schools or anything but we feel that PISD meets our daughter's needs better.
The IB progarm is at Plano East. The only other school close by that offers the IB program is Garland HS (my daughter is there and I LOVE IT!). You should be able to find a house in your price range in the Plano East side and probably a new one as well.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 AM

@ghaladh, you can request inter-district or intra-district transfers but now its not acceptable since most schools are already overcrowded. Its better for children to go to school with children from their own neighborhood.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:01 AM

64 posts, read 166,973 times
I appreciate your very clear and precise explanation, Momo. Thank you very much. Everything is very logical and appropriate, I see. :-)

Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM

You know your stuff mama.Only problem in going with east Plano is that if my daughter wants to do senior high with AP stream instead of IB than she will have to stay in east cluster schools. We prefer west cluster for regular and AP stream. I'm not interested in Garland for now but I do like New Richardson near Renner, Telecom pkwy & Breckenridge area. Its near my work and I find it much better than east Plano, most of east & west Allen and even some of the west Plano. They have PISD as well. If I could not find a likeable house in West Cluster of Plano than I would rather move to Richardson.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
You know your stuff mama.Only problem in going with east Plano is that if my daughter wants to do senior high with AP stream instead of IB than she will have to stay in east cluster schools. We prefer west cluster for regular and AP stream. I'm not interested in Garland for now but I do like New Richardson near Renner, Telecom pkwy & Breckenridge area. Its near my work and I find it much better than east Plano, most of east & west Allen and even some of the west Plano. They have PISD as well. If I could not find a likeable house in West Cluster of Plano than I would rather move to Richardson.
And remember, Richardson in Collin County is PISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas