U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:21 PM

16,092 posts, read 37,804,108 times

Advertisements

Downtown Dallas is a very large area and has many components so you can't just extrapolate from one section.

I grew up here (born at Baylor) my father worked downtown for 35 years, I worked downtown, I have friends who work and/or live downtown, I frequent offices/restaurants/museums/theaters/stores/courthouses/parties/parks/city hall/the library etc. and live about 2-3 miles from downtown. I'm also a long standing member of dallasmetropolis.com (as is hamilton) where all we have done (mostly) is talk about downtown for going on a decade.

So I think I MIGHT know what I am talking about...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:16 PM

326 posts, read 882,449 times
I've lived downtown for 5+ years. It used to be pretty quiet at night, but the only "crime" element I've seen is homeless loitering and car break-ins (from people parking overnight on the street). That was probably influenced by the abandoned parking garages and liquor stores surrounding my building. When those were replaced by a new urban park 2 years ago, the crime element disappeared in my area; now there are a lot more residents on the street at all hours. I've never felt unsafe walking through downtown day or night. The homeless element is still around, but generally keep to themselves.

While the entire area is safe, it depends where you live downtown. Along the Main Street District the area is filling with new restaurants, bars and nightlife. The biggest complaint you would have is the weekend noise. Living near the bus station might give you additional headaches. The Farmers Market area is a bit isolated from the rest of downtown. The Arts District is close to the activity of Uptown.

Downtown is full of police safety cameras at almost every intersection, and the Downtown Safety Patrol is a supplemental security force to the Dallas Police Department (often dealing with the homeless and minor safety issues). There is also the Downtown Residents Council and neighborhood crime watches to discuss any issues that arise. Because there are only about 6,000 residents downtown, the area has a small community feel and neighbors generally watch out for each other.

Here's some other information about crime downtown: Safety

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,020 times
Hi everyone,

As a new resident of downtown I just figured I would add my perceptions of it so far. My hubby and I moved into our place at the beginning of January 2011. I FREAKING LOVE IT! I use my car less, and I feel safe. Everyone in my building is so friendly, not to mention everyone that my husband and I have met around the neighborhood. Glad to also be away from the stamp of suburbia, A Ross next to a Best Buy, next to an Academy Sports, next to a Chili's. There is so much more character downtown.

It is noisier on the weekend, but that comes with the area. I lived in Chicago for a year, and could hear Wrigley Field from my apartment when the Cubs would hit one out, so noise is really no big deal to me. The funny thing is, we actually sleep better with the noise. I have not had an issue with bums. It is what it is. There are bums in every city. Anyways, hope this helps. My husband and I both feel that moving downtown was the best decision we could have made for our first house.

Katie

Old 03-10-2011, 06:14 PM

30 posts, read 54,956 times
OP asked about safety downtown, so I won't analyze the area beyond that. I moved into a building on Main Street four months ago. No crime problems that I've experienced. My apartment has a pretty broad view and I've seen police activity, but usually just seems to be traffic stops or pretty minor stuff. There are some homeless people, but no more than downtown Orlando, and the most they've done to me is ask for change a couple times.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 PM

257 posts, read 556,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
Your lack of education and experience in life is showing itself greatly
Hmmm...you seem to be the one lacking education.

Quote:
they wonder the streets

LOL.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:51 AM

4,500 posts, read 10,559,973 times
Quote:
- Too many homeless people. Most adult homeless people are made up of ex-cons and folks with psychiatric problems, and they wonder the streets of downtown all the time. Sounds like fun, eh? And they seem to stand out even more on the weekends as there are virtually no business people there.
I live in Plano, but go downtown often enough and that description of homeless people is lacking, at best.

Overall they won't give you any trouble, might ask for a meal or some cash, but other than that they keep to themselves. Only altercation I've kind of had was one that followed me for a couple of blocks, when he started shouting a little, I turned around and walked towards him, at which point he turned around and left.

Oh, and I tend to talk to them, they usually have a good story or two, don't really think they're much worse than any other.

As for crime: I might just be there at the wrong hours, but I don't really see many people at all most of the time, you'll occasionally spot the drug dealers in Deep Ellum, but they're not going to give you any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or