Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 AM

215 posts, read 1,533,800 times

Advertisements

I may move to dallas soon, thinking of a place downtown, is downtown Dallas as safe as downtown Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
I may move to dallas soon, thinking of a place downtown, is downtown Dallas as safe as downtown Austin?
It's safe, it's just not very populated and still lacking in basic amenities (grocery store, choice of dry cleaners, etc). Around 6,000 people live in actual downtown Dallas (bounded by Woodall Rogers, 45, 30, & 35). Many thousands more live in the neighborhoods circling downtown - Uptown, Deep Ellum, M Streets, Knox-Henderson, The Cedars/ Southside, Design District, Oak Lawn, North Oak Cliff/ Bishop Arts/ Kessler Park. If you want to live "in the city" and near the action, all of those neighborhood are great choices and no more than 2 miles from downtown.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,247 times
just don't get stuck in a dance-off between the Jets and the Sharks...

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 AM

247 posts, read 567,569 times
I used to work in downtown for years, and I was there during the week most of the time and once in a while on the weekends. It is a superb place to work, but an AWFUL place to live.

- Too many homeless people. Most adult homeless people are made up of ex-cons and folks with psychiatric problems, and they wonder the streets of downtown all the time. Sounds like fun, eh? And they seem to stand out even more on the weekends as there are virtually no business people there.
- Almost all restaurants close on the weekends
- No gas station
- No grocery store
- There is little night life or "places to go" in the immediate area if you are single (most of it is on the outer edges of downtown, or elsewhere in Dallas - the west end, uptown, deep ellum, lower greenville, etc)
- Plus the rent is usually outrageous for what you get

If I were single or had no kids (aka schools did not matter), I would live in Uptown or Deep Ellum in a second - or even better some place like the Village Apts a few miles up Highway 75. But not downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
I used to work in downtown for years, and I was there during the week most of the time and once in a while on the weekends. It is a superb place to work, but an AWFUL place to live.

- Too many homeless people. Most adult homeless people are made up of ex-cons and folks with psychiatric problems, and they wonder the streets of downtown all the time. Sounds like fun, eh? And they seem to stand out even more on the weekends as there are virtually no business people there.
- Almost all restaurants close on the weekends
- No gas station
- No grocery store
- There is little night life or "places to go" in the immediate area if you are single (most of it is on the outer edges of downtown, or elsewhere in Dallas - the west end, uptown, deep ellum, lower greenville, etc)
- Plus the rent is usually outrageous for what you get

If I were single or had no kids (aka schools did not matter), I would live in Uptown or Deep Ellum in a second - or even better some place like the Village Apts a few miles up Highway 75. But not downtown.
Downtown has changed since you worked there. I "wonder" where you are getting any facts beyond your own anecdotal opinion...

Last edited by Lakewooder; 03-09-2011 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM

247 posts, read 567,569 times
No it hasn't. We have a storage facility there and my lawyer's office is there, and I have a zillion friends downtown, so I go there regularly still. Your lack of education and experience in life is showing itself greatly

Old 03-09-2011, 01:19 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
No it hasn't. We have a storage facility there and my lawyer's office is there, and I have a zillion friends downtown, so I go there regularly still. Your lack of education and experience in life is showing itself greatly
You go to your church and I'll go to mine. You haven't said a positive thing about Dallas and clearly lean towards the pretentious side with the "90210" thing. Your type probably wouldn't like it downtown. Not enough glitter.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 PM

922 posts, read 1,697,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Downtown has changed since you worked there. I "wonder" where you are getting any facts beyond your own anecdotal opinion...

I think most people with common sense can tell that you can't take most of what they post seriously.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:57 PM

16 posts, read 46,706 times
Downtown may be "better" than what it is in the past, but it is not like downtown Austin at all in terms of social life and ammenities, so don't expect anything comparable. It still feels pretty deserted and lacking. Sure, it may no longer feel like you're living in "I am Legend" but outside of a select few, it probably won't be your first choice for a neighborhood. I'm not knocking the people who do live there (to each their own).

That being said, an alternative neighborhood depends on who you are and what you like. It may be uptown, Oaklawn, Knox-Henderson, M Streets, Oak Cliff, Deep Ellum, or wherever. Point being, the group of people who would list downtown as their number 1 choice for where to get an apartment is probably pretty small.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:11 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,247 times
Wow, when did Uptown become 'alternative'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas