Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM

82 posts, read 332,918 times

Advertisements

We have a small dog and live in Lewisville on the Coppell line. We will be having our first child in early June and we usually board her at the vet, but they close at like 6pm. So, we have NO family whatsoever here and no friends as we work from home and basically just have not gotten out much. So, I know back in KY there were like some vets open 24 hours for drop off. Trying to come up with a solution in which if I go into labor that I can reach someone to come get my dog (dogsitter) or if anyone knows of a 24 hour vet that is open that boards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
24 hr vets are expensive and from the two I know of boarding is not a service they offer
I would suggest you check/Google for kennels in your area that are locally owned--and check them out
explain your problem and see if there is one that might be willing to open for you at night for price

you might also check with your vet--if you like the office staff they probably have pets and might not mind taking in your dog if they live in the area

Angie's List is online company where you check people's posts about different services and dog sitters and kennels are listed

my son tells me that YELP -- an app for his phone--gives people's recommendations on various stores and services
maybe someone has done kennels in your area

other than that I would say introduce yourselves to your neighbors--
and see if you connect with one of them

Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
I use an in-home pet sitter. We've been his customers for 9 years! All I have to do is call him and let him know when I will be gone. he knows where the pets' food is, who gets what, and he has a key to my house. If you get set up in advance, one phone call will be all it takes!

PM me if you want his contact info...

Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Most vet techs do pet sitting. You give them a key and they come in as many times/day as you want to pay them to. Some who are young/single will sleep at your house. In your situaiton, it sounds like a pre-arranged sitter is the way to go. If you leave at 2 a.m., you really only need someone to come feed in the morning and let your dog in/out and maybe check at lunch.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 AM

82 posts, read 332,918 times
Thanks all!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
We usually board our dogs while gone and I've yet to find one w/ a 24 hour drop-off/pick-up. Usually have to take them the day before we leave and pick them up the day after we get back. I sometimes can get my parents to do it the day we leave and come back for us.

The last few years I've had a friends niece that is in college pet sit/ house sit for us. She stays at our house and brings in the mail, unlocks the gate for the yard people, etc and takes care of the dogs. She can still work her part-time job and hang out by the pool in our yard as kind of a mini vacation for her. But next week for Spring Break she will not be able to . So off to the Doggie B&B they go. The day before we leave and the day after we get back.

Call your vet and see if they have anyone on staff that petsits. Several do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas