Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:26 AM

198 posts, read 500,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Don't blame me. I voted for Kinky Friedman.
Wasn't he running for Agricultural Commissioner and lost the primary? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,236,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
Wasn't he running for Agricultural Commissioner and lost the primary? lol
He ran for guv election before. I did a write in this time around.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
He ran for guv election before. I did a write in this time around.
Gotcha.

Thought you were referring to this past election, so I was confused at first.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,517,992 times
I'm pretty sure it was a stealth Simpsons reference.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,004,277 times
The two counties have similar populations (Collin County has 782,341 people, whereas Hidalgo County has 774,769), yet Collin County had 159,492 votes cast. 100,063 of them went to Rick Perry and 51,664 to Bill White. (Rest went for minor parties) Hidalgo County had 72,669 votes cast. 48,807 for White and 23,196 for Perry.

did you not consider that some of the residents in Hidalgo county are illegal or non-citizen and could not vote because of that...

Old 03-11-2011, 03:55 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,590,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I voted for Perry. I don't especially like him but the alternative was worse.
I don't understand what people have against Bill White. People who say he destroyed Houston or made it worse are absolutely ignorant and know nothing about Houston.

Quote:
Do you guys/gals to the left of the aisle text each other each time a Rick Perry thread appears?
I'm a frequent reader of the Houston chronicle. They have a comments section that leans quite right. Even the readers are turning on Perry. It's no longer a right/left issue with him. Quite simply, he's an incompotent boob.

Quote:
It just kills me that you-all go bonkers over Perry's gamesmanship but I bet you were all-in when Ann Richards, about a day after Texans voted down one Robin Hood plan, almost unilaterally instituted another.
What does Ann Richards have to do with Perry's incompetence?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Bill White committed the unpardonable sin of treating the Katrina refugees (most of them black and poor) with compassion and dignity--
that is why he was treated with such distain and comments about how he had ruined Houston...
at least in MY opinion...

The only connection between Ann Richards and Rick Perry is their (signature) great hair...
Governor Richards was a class act even when she was being herself...
Rick Perry has no class...and not just because he is an Aggie grad--I rank most of them way higher than I do Perry...
and I think classifying Perry as "incompetent" is too generous--it implies that he has no capabilities--yet he was very successful in his role as Ag Commissioner--
HE can do a better job for Texas--he has just abrogated that responsibility to do a better job for Rick Perry as a Republican candidate for higher office...
He is another perfect example of how being elected to office gives someone with little moral strength and less nobless oblige the opening to take advantage of unethical opportunity galore and pandering to the masses to achieve personal goals vs achieve something true and difficult...
It is not that he is incapable--it is that he choose to use his talents and intelligence in a very narrow focus attuned to what benefits Rick Perry--not Texas--no matter what he claims to the contrary...
More Texans will be in the worst shape of their lives after he leaves office than any other Texas governor -- Bush was prevented from being as bad as Perry because of Bob Bullock's tempering hand, political knowledge, and professional spirit--
Perry has no one like that in the Legislature and he would not listen if he did...

Old 03-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The two counties have similar populations (Collin County has 782,341 people, whereas Hidalgo County has 774,769), yet Collin County had 159,492 votes cast. 100,063 of them went to Rick Perry and 51,664 to Bill White. (Rest went for minor parties) Hidalgo County had 72,669 votes cast. 48,807 for White and 23,196 for Perry.

did you not consider that some of the residents in Hidalgo county are illegal or non-citizen and could not vote because of that...
Keyword being some, not most.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,745,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Bill White committed the unpardonable sin of treating the Katrina refugees (most of them black and poor) with compassion and dignity--
that is why he was treated with such distain and comments about how he had ruined Houston...
at least in MY opinion...
I never got this criticism.

What exactly was Bill White supposed to do?

Those people were going to go somewhere anyways.

Plus Rick Perry himself also invited them.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:33 PM

White went out of his way to welcome Katrina victims to Houston--he never quibbled about taking them, never complained that his city was going to bear more than its fair share of the burden (which it did), never tried to play the race card and claim that Houston would be threatened by so many indigent minorities when it has high numbers of them anyway...

those were all claims that many people in Houston WANTED him to make--and he failed to do so--
apparently from what I read Houston's outreach efforts were exemplary
because White WAS such a great leader--one who welcomed the challenge of dealing with such a giant problem at such short notice--he proved how good he was--and that made some people who did not like him, like him even less...
a case of you can't win for losing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas