Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 AM

19,953 posts, read 18,253,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
After looking into it, you are absolutely correct. However, this only reinforces the notion of how messed up the ruling party in Texas is. Blame should be applied everywhere, but especially conservative republicans whose policies have led to this mess.

What are you scared of? Why is it such a scary notion that adapting our principles as the world keeps spinning is the best way to survive? The world is changing before our eyes, and neither party has stepped up. Evolution of our ideas and beliefs are key to our success. You preach nothing but the status quo and that will leave us down the wrong path.

This is truly terrible type of thought. Do you not realize how people aren't created equal? What if your kids were born with down syndrome? What if they were paralyzed in an accident? What if they were born with Type 1 diabetes? Or blind? Deaf? Congenital heart defect? How would that affect your life, marriage, and economic well being? The poor aren't the only ones who take advantage of government funded healthcare and social services. Please educate yourself.

This whole notion that because "I live in the suburbs or where ever the crap you live and I raised kids that 'are thin, active and very well educated' so everyone should be able to as well" reeks of arrogance and naivety. The world isn't a fair place and sometimes people need assistance.

I gotta' say it. One of the true pleasures gained arguing with leftists is that each leftist may at will omit facts, inject phony emotion, miss key background points - like the fact that deficits are illegal in Texas etc. and still claim the other guy needs education.

We have large swaths of society that live life with their hands out looking for help near constantly. It's time to trim those numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 AM

3,871 posts, read 4,468,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I gotta' say it. One of the true pleasures gained arguing with leftists is that each leftist may at will omit facts, inject phony emotion, miss key background points - like the fact that deficits are illegal in Texas etc. and still claim the other guy needs education.

We have large swaths of society that live life with their hands out looking for help near constantly. It's time to trim those numbers.

You sound exactly like an old acquaintance of mine from years ago. Till the shoe was on the other foot, and HE lost his high paying job, COULDNT find another for years, and struggled between low paying jobs and welfare, suddenly he became everything he despised...what you should do, is count your blessings and be grateful that you are able to provide the standard of living that you do have, instead of making snide judgements about who should be trimmed or whatever...pride goes before the fall EDS...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
You sound exactly like an old acquaintance of mine from years ago. Till the shoe was on the other foot, and HE lost his high paying job, COULDNT find another for years, and struggled between low paying jobs and welfare, suddenly he became everything he despised...what you should do, is count your blessings and be grateful that you are able to provide the standard of living that you do have, instead of making snide judgements about who should be trimmed or whatever...pride goes before the fall EDS...
If he was a single man in Texas he did not receive welfare.

I've worked hard, very hard, and planned well. I expect no personal downturn.

Additionally, I'm all for helping people who really need it assuming they have a record of effort. This is The USA not France.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:58 AM

3,871 posts, read 4,468,678 times
Quote:

Additionally, I'm all for helping people who really need it assuming they have a record of effort. This is The USA not France.
You expect no personal downturn because you've worked hard? So you really think that personal setbacks only happen to people who dont work hard? You either must be very young, or incredibly naive to think that...I hope you dont have to find out the hard way that what you've said is patently untrue...hard working people with good hearts get dealt bad hands all the time pardon the pun.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,760,699 times
EDS swallowed the Republican Agenda hook, line and sinker.
That is obvious from everything (s)he posts. One has to keep that in mind before taking EDS seriously.

Also reminds me of a ex coworker who thought of himself as a hard worker indispensable to the company.
Was laid off 4 days after confidently bragging what a hard worker he is.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,030,301 times
My husband fits that same description and yet he has exactly the opposite attitude--

he does not trust management/business in general to do what is best for the interest of workers in almost any job field or politicians to do what is best for the country--because both categories are too busy serving their own needs

he thinks that as the Bible says "the poor are always with us" so we better figure out a way to deal with them and MAKE them productive instead of just trying to forget they exist and ignore their needs---

He understands that anyone can run into a situation that is beyond his control and suffer reversal because of that--

and I agree--the confidence that allows someone to believe that s/he is beyond the reach of caprice or fortune has never been tested--and that is luck more than design...

Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
You expect no personal downturn because you've worked hard? So you really think that personal setbacks only happen to people who dont work hard? You either must be very young, or incredibly naive to think that...I hope you dont have to find out the hard way that what you've said is patently untrue...hard working people with good hearts get dealt bad hands all the time pardon the pun.
I'm not young and I am certainly not naive. People are hit in the head with tree branches, have heart attacks etc. I get that. And I have ZERO problem helping folks submarined by unforeseeable circumstances.

I am sick and tired of multi-generational welfare families. People who gripe about being broke while watching cable TV on a flat screen. People who fail to prioritize and plan when young.

For but one example in Dallas county we spend hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars per year at Parkland Hospital. A very significant portion of those dollars are spent caring for indigent illegal aliens and their children. By in large these people pay none or very little of their total tab. Try going to Mexico and getting free medial care at a hospital.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
EDS swallowed the Republican Agenda hook, line and sinker.
That is obvious from everything (s)he posts. One has to keep that in mind before taking EDS seriously.

Also reminds me of a ex coworker who thought of himself as a hard worker indispensable to the company.
Was laid off 4 days after confidently bragging what a hard worker he is.
I am a male.

I own my company. I'll be the last to go.

So only democrats are to be taken seriously? That's a common theme from those on the left. Discount without thinking - life must be really easy that way.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My husband fits that same description and yet he has exactly the opposite attitude--

he does not trust management/business in general to do what is best for the interest of workers in almost any job field or politicians to do what is best for the country--because both categories are too busy serving their own needs

he thinks that as the Bible says "the poor are always with us" so we better figure out a way to deal with them and MAKE them productive instead of just trying to forget they exist and ignore their needs---

He understands that anyone can run into a situation that is beyond his control and suffer reversal because of that--

and I agree--the confidence that allows someone to believe that s/he is beyond the reach of caprice or fortune has never been tested--and that is luck more than design...
So which do you and your husband generally trust more government or business?

As the first world has so successfully proved few things debase culture, effort and success more than serial handouts. The "poor" as a group need to be told the truth. And some of that is that if you can't succeed in the US you would starve to death in many other parts of the world. Working, working hard, staying off dope, drinking in moderation, gaining a useful education are descriptive of good outcomes. Laying around waiting for help is not.

Your last little cheap shot is nonsense. My 3x great grandfather escaped a severe depression in Germany in 1871. He at 13 and penniless, his parents were killed in a house fire, managed to get himself and his little sister who was 6 from Bavaria to Boston to west Texas over the course of 9 months. He worked his butt off every day of his life and died a somewhat wealthy rancher. Everyone in my close family since with one exception has lived hard, worked hard, and done good things with their lives. I am not about to break that chain.

By the way the little sister lived to be 106 years old. I was lucky enough to know her quite well. Her stories about her first dirt floored cabin being an upgrade over the tents she lived in previously and the like were motivating.

We have so many advantages being born in the US. There are exactly zero reasons to be pessimistic and all manner of reasons to be optimistic.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM

986 posts, read 1,669,983 times
Quote:

Most people don't EXPECT personal downturns when they occur... I expect to have cancer when I turn 40 so I'm going to start planning for my insurance company to give me all kind of he** now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas