Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM

74 posts, read 132,541 times

Advertisements

I am totally shocked at the property taxes in Dallas and Fort Worth. A $ 500,000 house in California property tax comes to $6,250.00 a year. Our state taxes are very low too believe it or not, unless you make a lot of money. Sales tax in the county I live in is 8.75%. I just calculated a house worth 139k in Dallas would cost $7533.80 per year, that is absolutely insane, that includes all taxes, city etc.

I am starting to wonder how cheap it really is to live in Texas. No offense meant here, just wondering. You guys do have very nice houses, but I wonder if it is worth it. But every state has its own problems, I am looking and have not found a reasonable good state yet, but I am thinking that living in California is not that bad after all. Have done loads of research on other states and Venice/Florida have monitor lizards and boa constrictors, how fun it is to walk into your yard and have one of those boa's attacking you from the roof ? At least in California I can leave my 3 little dogs outside in the yard year round, no problems, and I feel save in my back yard. From now on I will stop bad mouthing California and appreciate what I have. Instead I will look for another city to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 AM

332 posts, read 1,386,369 times
A house worth 139k would pay a tax rate in the city of Dallas of 2.711117 for 2012. This comes out to about $3768 in taxes. In Dallas there is also a homestead exemption if you are living in the house, not renting it out. This further reduces the tax due by almost 20%. I'm not sure where you are getting 7533.8 from.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
An outside agency (hired by the county) drives-by in a custom van with remote-controlled movable/adjustable cameras mounted on the roof, and takes a picture of properties from the road which the property faces. The contracted company employee never gets out of the van. These pictures (images) are then given to the county for record purposes.
That could be Google Maps

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joycey1000 View Post
I am totally shocked at the property taxes in Dallas and Fort Worth. A $ 500,000 house in California property tax comes to $6,250.00 a year. Our state taxes are very low too believe it or not, unless you make a lot of money. Sales tax in the county I live in is 8.75%. I just calculated a house worth 139k in Dallas would cost $7533.80 per year, that is absolutely insane, that includes all taxes, city etc.

I am starting to wonder how cheap it really is to live in Texas. No offense meant here, just wondering. You guys do have very nice houses, but I wonder if it is worth it. But every state has its own problems, I am looking and have not found a reasonable good state yet, but I am thinking that living in California is not that bad after all. Have done loads of research on other states and Venice/Florida have monitor lizards and boa constrictors, how fun it is to walk into your yard and have one of those boa's attacking you from the roof ? At least in California I can leave my 3 little dogs outside in the yard year round, no problems, and I feel save in my back yard. From now on I will stop bad mouthing California and appreciate what I have. Instead I will look for another city to live in.
You really do need to learn proper math before posting a tirade like this. I know of no city in Texas with a tax rate of $5.42 per $100 value.

Considering TOTAL taxes due to the average property owner in Texas which considers our lack of a personal income tax and other taxes, living in Texas is really not high at all compared to many other states. Do a little homework.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
You really do need to learn proper math before posting a tirade like this. I know of no city in Texas with a tax rate of $5.42 per $100 value.

Considering TOTAL taxes due to the average property owner in Texas which considers our lack of a personal income tax and other taxes, living in Texas is really not high at all compared to many other states. Do a little homework.
Well said, some people are better off in california than Tx. Jobs are where Ca hammers companies so if one doesnt need to move to Tx for job than lala land might be there ticket especially if math chellenged.

Worst tax rate in Tx I know of is about 3% of market value.....that is in new MUD tax areas near Houston. Most of the rest of USA runs around 1% of market value ...Ca as on most things goes its own way... Prop 13 made tax cost less than logical across the golden state.

Tx is crowded enough without Ca residents who prefer Ca to move here.... so all is well that ends well if OP stays in Ca.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
Much rather be in Texas then pay California State Tax and large fee's for your tags to operate your vehicle as well...along with the super high fuel. You can have your California and we'll keep our Texas.....but yeah your math is wrong.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Sales tax in the county I live in is 8.75%. I just calculated a house worth 139k in Dallas would cost $7533.80 per year, that is absolutely insane, that includes all taxes, city etc.
I think Joycey1000 just confused Local Sales Tax - 8.75% at her location, with Texas Property Tax - typically around 2 - 3%, depending on county.

Joycey, Sales Tax in Texas in on goods and services - excluding food and meds. Texans would already have revolted at 8.75% property tax.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Well said, some people are better off in california than Tx. Jobs are where Ca hammers companies so if one doesnt need to move to Tx for job than lala land might be there ticket especially if math chellenged.

Worst tax rate in Tx I know of is about 3% of market value.....that is in new MUD tax areas near Houston. Most of the rest of USA runs around 1% of market value ...Ca as on most things goes its own way... Prop 13 made tax cost less than logical across the golden state.

Tx is crowded enough without Ca residents who prefer Ca to move here.... so all is well that ends well if OP stays in Ca.
Remember, Prop 13 only sets the statewide rate at 1%... my tax rate with combined city and county is 1.6%

$9,000 on a 1957 1725 foot Ranch Style home is hardly what I would call low taxes...

Add to that the State Income Tax, near 10% local Sales Tax, $160 tags for my 85 Chevrolet van and don't think anyone would/could say Californians pay less tax than logical...

We also pay up to 30 cents a kilowatt for electricity and $2 a day for water/sewage just to be connected without a drop of water flowing...

Most of my friends that moved to Texas are never leaving... they love it. A few did have issues. The wife of one couldn't wait to leave... she couldn't take the heat/cold and bugs... her description.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 AM

OK enough already !!!!!!!!!! So I was wrong get over it !!! Seriously, I have been doing too much research being behind the computer 10 hours a day, and yes I got it wrong. But that is good news for me and bad news for you guys, since this changed my mind and I will move to Texas. I hope people there are nicer and more forgiving than the ones on the web, on the other hand, I don' give a ****. And no I don't need a job, I work for myself. I want to leave California for the high cost of living and another reason that I don't want to disclose on the web as it is personal. Other than that I like it here, but I am sure I will like it in Texas too. As far as naty people, I can deal with them, no problemo ........

Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 AM

PS, when I go there I better go undercover and use a different name ....... hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas