Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:33 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Oh, baloney. Middle class people are middle class people regardless of race. We all want the same thing.

Apparently you missed the sarcastic smiley.It's Bologna by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Apparently you missed the sarcastic smiley.It's Bologna by the way.
Ahh, my bad. Im feeling rather dense today.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
By Selwyn Crawford and Michael Young
Dallas Morning News
February 27, 2011

Census Shows Black Population Expanding in Dallas-Fort Worth Suburbs — UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies (http://gseis.ucla.edu/about/news-events/news/press-clips/census-shows-black-population-expanding-in-dallas-fort-worth-suburbs - broken link)
Great post. Thanks for sharing. Segregation has been a huge problem in this country and it's great to see places where blacks can live the way they prefer to live.

Contrast this with Silicon valley where opportunities appear to evade blacks who are fleeing the area. Asians of course are thriving. Interesting that as asian thrive, blacks are denied opportunites in the bay area. There's strength in numbers. It hurts blacks in the bay area, helps them here.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The article mentions Cedar Hill.

Is there any suburb that dropped more in value in the DFW region?

Cedar Hill Home Prices and Home Values in TX - Zillow Local Info
I guess you're implying that because a lot of black folks moved there, that made the home values drop? Typical, but not surprising from a North Texan, but then again, that whole "Diversity is nothing to celebrate" thread gives a good idea about how a lot of people in the DFW Area really feel about blacks and mexicans moving into their neighborhoods.

Nevermind about the recession and the housing crisis that may have been a factor in the falling values.

Besides, the Southern burbs have never been as popular as the Northern burbs, so historically, their home values have never been as high.

Plano's home values fell too:

Plano Home Prices and Home Values in TX - Zillow Local Info

Allen's home values fell 16.9% since 2008 (they are beginning to rise again though):

Allen Home Prices and Home Values in TX - Zillow Local Info

But like I said in a previous post, I'm pretty sure that Grayson County will be the new "hot" county in the next 20 years or so as Collin County becomes more diverse.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 03-14-2011 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
I guess my question is "at what point does this white flight just become unsustainable? I met a couple of people recently who live in McKinney and Prosper...they both make the drive to down town Dallas to their jobs...and the crazy thing is, they are both Dallas natives! I could KIND of understand a relo blindly moving up there because its "new" and all the other code words for "non black" but these people are from here and really should have known better, but they were so eager for the "better schools" of McKinney (that's a laugh) that they willingly signed on...so when people are eventually driving down from the Oklahoma border to Dallas, and gas is $5 per gallon...
People are quick to tell me that since we now have a black president that racism is dead and we are all united arm in arm around the camp fire in joyful harmony...I say um...bull hockey...until whites and others realize that not all black people are gun wielding, forty drinking criminals looking to burglarize and pillage, then we still have a long way to go.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I guess my question is "at what point does this white flight just become unsustainable? I met a couple of people recently who live in McKinney and Prosper...they both make the drive to down town Dallas to their jobs...and the crazy thing is, they are both Dallas natives! I could KIND of understand a relo blindly moving up there because its "new" and all the other code words for "non black" but these people are from here and really should have known better, but they were so eager for the "better schools" of McKinney (that's a laugh) that they willingly signed on...so when people are eventually driving down from the Oklahoma border to Dallas, and gas is $5 per gallon...
People are quick to tell me that since we now have a black president that racism is dead and we are all united arm in arm around the camp fire in joyful harmony...I say um...bull hockey...until whites and others realize that not all black people are gun wielding, forty drinking criminals looking to burglarize and pillage, then we still have a long way to go.

...the sad reality is that I don't see this happening in our lifetimes. If anything, Obama's election pretty much bought out a lot of people's true colors (no pun intended). It's sort of how some co-workers get whenever they have a black supervisor or manager. People's subconcious notions and perceptions will almost always come out. I learned a long time ago not to catch hurt feelings when people think that I'm inferior and beneath them. Truth be told, I expect it as a defense mechanism unless otherwise noted.

and if I had a nickel for every time someone just automatically assumed that I live off a section 8 voucher and have a litter of unwanted bastards and waiting for a reparations check, I'd be able to retire before I turn 40.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 03-14-2011 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I guess you're implying that because a lot of black folks moved there, that made the home values drop? Typical, but not surprising from a North Texan, but then again, that whole "Diversity is nothing to celebrate" thread gives a good idea about how a lot of people in the DFW Area really feel about blacks and mexicans moving into their neighborhoods.
Youre really going to compare the people in DFW to the stormfront motherf**ker who came on here and started that thread??? Nevermind that just about every poster that actually lived in DFW (which the OP didnt) came out and condemned it.

You have become what you hate: a person who judges people in a set group based on a characteristic that only a few in the group have.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Youre really going to compare the people in DFW to the stormfront motherf**ker who came on here and started that thread??? Nevermind that just about every poster that actually lived in DFW (which the OP didnt) came out and condemned it.

You have become what you hate: a person who judges people in a set group based on a characteristic that only a few in the group have.

With all due respect, but I think that OP was merely voicing out what many white people think privately. Yes, many on City Data came out and condemned him, but actions speak louder than words. Why did Frisco, McKinney, Allen and Rockwall explode? It certainly wasnt because of the large number of minorities living there, I would go out on a limb here and say that it was because it was the exact opposite.
The next wave of "hot locations" have been touted as being Prosper, Melissa, Celina and Anna...why is this? You can get cheaper houses closer to Dallas in Lancaster, Cedar Hill and other places south, none of the "hot" locations is renowned for outstanding schools so that can't be the reason. But what do they all have in common? low percentages of minorities. That is always the dealbreaker for any new community/town. Realtors all know this, and so does everyone else, yet it is sugarcoated away with all types of misdirection.
I told that OP that I actually appreciated his honesty, he simply said what he felt and didnt try to sidestep with all types of superflous BS.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
With all due respect, but I think that OP was merely voicing out what many white people think privately. Yes, many on City Data came out and condemned him, but actions speak louder than words. Why did Frisco, McKinney, Allen and Rockwall explode? It certainly wasnt because of the large number of minorities living there, I would go out on a limb here and say that it was because it was the exact opposite.
The next wave of "hot locations" have been touted as being Prosper, Melissa, Celina and Anna...why is this? You can get cheaper houses closer to Dallas in Lancaster, Cedar Hill and other places south, none of the "hot" locations is renowned for outstanding schools so that can't be the reason. But what do they all have in common? low percentages of minorities. That is always the dealbreaker for any new community/town. Realtors all know this, and so does everyone else, yet it is sugarcoated away with all types of misdirection.
I told that OP that I actually appreciated his honesty, he simply said what he felt and didnt try to sidestep with all types of superflous BS.

^^This is what I was saying, but you expressed it a lot more eloquently. People can pretend that all white people are playing "Ring-Around-The-Rosies" and singing Kum-By-Yah when minorities start moving in all they want to, but I live in reality and know that is not 100% true. Do I think that all 6.5 Million people in the Metroplex are foaming-at-the-mouth racists? Absolutely not. That would be ridiculous. Note I said "lots," not "all" - two different measurements.

Lots of people will not outright be as honest about that guy's feelings, but his views aren't atypical or unusual - he was just a lot more blunt about his feelings than most people are. In a way, I prefer that type of honesty than people who beat around the bush when it comes to their true feelings. I like to know when people hate me right upfront rather than smile in my face and stab me in the back later.

Sure, people did condemn him, but he did get a lot of rep points as well. From whom or where doesn't matter, but it shows that there are a lot of people who feel exactly as he does.

At the end of the day, most people in general want to live around there own. White Flight is just a part of life, just as there are blacks who would rather live in predominantly black areas. Life goes on.

People of all races have some prejudices to a degree, that's just the way of the world. There are a lot of my fellow blacks who don't like the idea of hispanics moving in their neighborhoods too. I have friends and associate with people of all races and backgrounds, but I also have the knowledge that everyone doesn't love each other.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 03-14-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
I said this in another thread and I am going to say it here because it seems applicable.

Who cares! All the subject of diversity does it stir up conflict throughout the US anyway. Really, who freakin cares. People living amongst their own race is perfectly fine, provincial cities/societies are perfectly fine. Wanting to be with or near your own culture is fine. There is no requirement saying we all need to have equal places to live and equal share of everything and equal desirability to where we live. None of it means hoot in making a place better or a person better or a society more "progressive".

This is a very weak, and tired liberal argument born out of the Clinton Administration, that means absolutely nothing. We should focus less on diversity in terms of race, and more on diversity in terms of personal responsibility. This tends to be there topic for me personally anyway where I draw criticisms of other individuals, has nothing and I mean NOTHING to do with what color they are. Although living a neighborhood that is primarily one race would make me feel a little out of place as opposed to living in a neighborhood full of Italian people. My point is, we don't need to be so fixated on data that shows a certain race increasing or decreasing, it doesn't freakin matter. What we need to focus on is just getting along with one another and working from the inside out rather than trying to control the world around us and what others think and say. The 'beautiful people' would have you believe differently, but take it from a guy from Boston, that mentality is wicked retaaaaahded.

Last edited by skids929; 03-14-2011 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas