Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,318 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I've got a bit 'o spring fever. I want to plant a rose bush i my backyard, but I am unfamiliar with which varieties grow best in this area.

Would like a fragrant, heat and disease tolerant climbing variety. Does such a thin exist?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 02:31 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Double Red Knockout rose bush without a doubt. Double Knockout Roses were actually developed by Texas A&M.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
I would contact the local Rose Club in your area. I have used them in the past and have learned so much valuable information. It still shocks me to see varieties of roses that will never thrive in the area sold at local nurseries. I guess most people will just blame it on not having a green thumb.

I think other things to consider are what types of roses you really like. I love fragrant ones, and ran into a bit of a roadblock with that at first. But, when I found out about the rose clubs in my area, I finally was able to get some advice from those that actually are experts in the subject! http://www.dallasrosesociety.org/

Good Luck!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 PM

111 posts, read 266,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Double Red Knockout rose bush without a doubt. Double Knockout Roses were actually developed by Texas A&M.
Are these available in any garden store like Calloway's or better online?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan70 View Post
Are these available in any garden store like Calloway's or better online?
Yes. They are available most everywhere locally. They do great in the Dallas area (in fact all over the south). They love direct high intensity sun and the higher the temperature the better. They bloom profusely for most of the year. They are also drought resistant...so everything is in its favor for our area.

So you know, there is a Knockout rose and a 'Double' Knockout rose. The 'double knockout roses have two blooms - one inside the other, which makes it more attractive. Also, there is a red, pink...and maybe other colors. I personally like the red much better...amd most people do.

When you plant, make sure the roses receive as much sun as possble - the more direct sun the better. In other words, don't plant on the north side of the house, or where structures (buildings, fences, trees or anything shades the roses [especially] from the afternoon's full sun.

If you are like most, you'll love the RED Double Knockout roses!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,077 times
Knock-outs are great, but I don't think they have a climbing variety.

I had a climber that I planted at my previous home. It was called "climbing pinkie" (Climbing Pinkie - Cultivars - Earth-Kind Roses | Aggie Horticulture (http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/roses/cultivars/climbing_pinkie.html - broken link)). It did wonderfully in my garden...no issues at all. It is an EarthKind rose, so great performance and disease resistance (Earth-Kind Roses | Aggie Horticulture (http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkind/roses/ - broken link)). It was beautiful and the blooms got more prolific every year.

I got it at the annual plant sale at the Texas AgriLife Extension Center on Coit Rd. It's a fantastic sale run by the Collin County Master Gardeners (Collin County Master Gardeners - Home (http://www.ccmgatx.org/index.asp - broken link)) Everything they sell does well in Texas (many are Texas Superstar plants Texas Superstar®) and are available at a great price. This year it is on April 16, from 9am-3pm. Get there early for best selection...and if possible, bring your own cart, wagon, stroller, whatever to gather your plants in. And there are always plenty of Master Gardeners on hand to answer questions or suggest the best plants for what you are looking for.

Last edited by PlanoGirl; 03-13-2011 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,318 times
Very good advice all! Now I at least know what to ask for at the nursery!

PlanoGirl, -- I'm marking that flower show on my calendar!

Thanks everyone!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 AM

111 posts, read 266,836 times
I plan on attending too. And I'm going to try both varieties mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
PlanoGirl, -- I'm marking that flower show on my calendar!

Good! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. We'll be out of town, so I'll miss it this year

FYI...it is really just a "sale", not a show...though I think they do have one or two seminars during the day as well. If you are looking for a true 'garden show', CoCo Master Gardeners is holding one this month at Myers Event Center in Mckinney on the 26th and 27th...here's a link to the flyer...

http://www.ccmgatx.org/thegardenshow...s/flyer-v7.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas