Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM

129 posts, read 236,993 times

Advertisements

Now I know, why I don't get along with my mother-in-law: She is from PA. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones11 View Post
Amen!!!! We are moving from PA. We were transplants to PA from Iowa. The rudeness of the people in Pa is astounding. We lived there 11 years and it was hell. Everyone was nasty. Even in their jobs. They had the attitude of "how dare you come through my line and bother me". No hello, thankyou or goodbye. You could complain but the manager had the same attitude

I bow at the feet of Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 04:34 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
Yes the eye contact thing amazes me about this place. It is nice to feel that people actually care. I don't know what it is about this place cause it is far from perfect but something about it is different... I hope it continues cause it certainly helps on those blistering hot days and during the tornado sirens, lol!!!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhtex View Post
Its true! The people here are so sweet and friendly I now have diabetes! Try going to the Home Depo on Eldorado in Frisco, they are so friendly and helpful there that you start to avoid them so you can get your shopping done! Seriously though I've been there and asked a question and they will walk you all over the store to find what you are looking for and if they can't help you then they will hand you off to someone who can.
I've been here for almost 4 years now from Michigan and still notice it. I hope a little of this rubs off on folks who move here. I remember the first time I went back to SE Michigan around Christmas and went to a dollar store in Toledo Ohio my wife and I noticed a palpable difference in the general demeanor of people shopping in the store. They seemed to have a more stern look and didnt make eye contact and stared down a lot as they went about their business. It was freaky in comparison. I'm not trying to generalize an entire area as being this way but we did notice a different vibe just walking around the store.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:52 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,650 times
Just don't step on my blue suede shoes!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 PM

12 posts, read 17,870 times
That's what I hear. A friend of mine said that when she went to the Doctor's office in California, the people in the waiting room just kept quite & kept to themselves. But when she came to Dallas and went to the doctors, the people in the waiting room where very friendly and talkative.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 PM

124 posts, read 259,193 times
As a World Traveler and Native Texan I can say that we do keep things friendly around here. Some of that has to do with the southern culture and some of it has to do with the fact that most Texans really do feel like God is watching them. I know it rubs some people the wrong way, people from the northeast pretend that Texan's are friendly, but you don't know where you stand with them. I call BS on that; if you ask a Texan for an honest opinion they will give it to you. If you are just a passerby that needs help we will be friendly and help you out and smile while we do it, not because we're fake and not because we are trying to dupe you, but because we actually care about our fellow man. Many of us are certain that we will be punished eventually for being crappy (the golden rule, what come's around goes around, karma, et al) to others. Then there is the fact that with over 300 days of sunshine we get much more natural vitamin D than residents of the northern states.

At any rate to the OP and other transplants that have chimed in; welcome to Texas, we're glad to have you and make sure you get all over this state because outside of snow skiing we do have everything; forests, mountains, white sandy coastlines, bayous, high deserts, hill country and of course the rolling prairies of North Texas.

Just a suggestion for those that really get beaten down by the heat in our Texas summers; take a trip to the Trans-Pecos Region of Texas in General and Fort Davis in particular. Fort Davis sits at over 5,000 feet and goes up from there. The high altitude and Texas sunshine mean that when Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin are suffering through triple digit heat in August Fort Davis is sitting in the mid-70s to mid-80s. Plus the mountains are gorgeous.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
As a World Traveler and Native Texan I can say that we do keep things friendly around here. Some of that has to do with the southern culture and some of it has to do with the fact that most Texans really do feel like God is watching them. I know it rubs some people the wrong way, people from the northeast pretend that Texan's are friendly, but you don't know where you stand with them. I call BS on that; if you ask a Texan for an honest opinion they will give it to you. If you are just a passerby that needs help we will be friendly and help you out and smile while we do it, not because we're fake and not because we are trying to dupe you, but because we actually care about our fellow man. Many of us are certain that we will be punished eventually for being crappy (the golden rule, what come's around goes around, karma, et al) to others. Then there is the fact that with over 300 days of sunshine we get much more natural vitamin D than residents of the northern states.

At any rate to the OP and other transplants that have chimed in; welcome to Texas, we're glad to have you and make sure you get all over this state because outside of snow skiing we do have everything; forests, mountains, white sandy coastlines, bayous, high deserts, hill country and of course the rolling prairies of North Texas.

Just a suggestion for those that really get beaten down by the heat in our Texas summers; take a trip to the Trans-Pecos Region of Texas in General and Fort Davis in particular. Fort Davis sits at over 5,000 feet and goes up from there. The high altitude and Texas sunshine mean that when Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin are suffering through triple digit heat in August Fort Davis is sitting in the mid-70s to mid-80s. Plus the mountains are gorgeous.
I so agree with you regarding Fort Davis, what a Texas treasure. My Grandson and I stayed overnight during a cross country drive. The town folk are welcoming and there's such interesting history with regards to the Buffalo Soldiers. There are still descendants living there. Also near by is the Macdonald Observatory, which has
fascinating activities. When we were leaving the next morning we saw this magnificent long horned Buck/Elk/Antelope (sorry not sure what it was) but it was beautiful and was just grazing with some cattle. What a way to leave Texas. Truly enjoyed it.
I'm looking forward to returning in a month or so.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
At social events people are generally friendly/nice and customer service is usually very good at businesses. But just wait until you have to work full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi, I just have to say after living in Texas for the past six months and previously living in several different states and cities... that Texas has some of the nicest people that I have ever met. It is so refreshing to go out in public and get a smile where ever I go. It is so encouraging to meet such helpful people that seem eager and happy to help in any given situation. I have had men open doors for me (something that usually doesn't happen in other places),women stopping to talk for sometimes an hour, teenagers that are polite and police officers that actually do their job amongst many other situations.

I really enjoy the people here in Texas. Yes, the summers are quite hot and there are usual problems like any city but the friendliness of the people makes it worth it. I thought I would never like any place other than Oregon/Washington but I have to say the people here are friendlier. Nothing can compete with the beauty of the PNW but I don't think I would move back after experiencing the positives of this state..

Hopefully I won't get sick of it...maybe I will change my mind after being here for a few years but for now I like it...and growing fonder of it every day.

I just wanted to give a positive comment and a HUGE thank you for the great state of TEXAS!!!

Old 12-07-2013, 05:59 PM
vkr

1 posts, read 1,140 times
I am from India, but have lived in various parts of the US for the past 20 years. I am visiting Dallas for a few days, and I was really touched by how nice everyone here is. So I looked up the internet for "texas friendly people" and came here. I must say I salute Texan niceness. Please keep it up. You guys are special!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas