U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 PM

661 posts, read 2,790,264 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been looking for at some MLS listing for cheap housing (mainly for my father). Amazingly, I noticed some super cheap listing of houses beside Fair Park area, so close to Downtown Dallas. When I mean cheap I talking about houses as low as $21K! In fact almost all houses are less than $100k in that area.

I am surprised the prices can be so low when you are 5 minutes from downtown. Not sure if my dad and mom would actually want to live there. Might be good place for investment property potentially though? Maybe one night after work I will drive down there and check the area out!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM

287 posts, read 404,646 times
If you drive through really quickly and don't stop, you may not get shot.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 PM

7,205 posts, read 18,960,468 times
Yes, you should drive down there, and lock your doors when you do. You'll answer your own question...

Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 PM

661 posts, read 2,790,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Yes, you should drive down there, and lock your doors when you do. You'll answer your own question...
Is it seriously that bad down there? I have been to Fair Park before and never had any problem. In fact, Fair Park seems like such nice place. I am kind of surprised the area beside would be so dangerous.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,287,203 times
It's probably the worst neighborhood in Dallas, which is sad for being so important to Dallas's culture and history.

Somebody needs to seriously buy up all of the land around Fair Park and demolish all of those homes and start over. Fair Park's potential is inhibited by the neighborhoods around it.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM

10,331 posts, read 21,998,257 times
Fair Park INSIDE the gates is great. OUTSIDE the gates is another story entirely. I believe the phrase is, "the metal bars on the windows are not ornamental."

Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM

1,005 posts, read 3,477,190 times
Total BS.

The people who live there are very poor.
The houses are in bad shape and therefore cheap.

I have never been shot at over there.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 PM

5,716 posts, read 8,102,079 times
South Dallas isn't that bad! I have been to South Dallas so many times, I never had a problem. My mother lived there in the late 70s and mid 80s. Come on PEOPLE you can get shot anywhere in Dallas. People try to make the lower income areas worst than it really is. People see the dilapidated houses and assume that the area is so bad that you can't even roll down your windows.

A couple of years ago they had a shooting at NorthPark Center, you wouldn't think it would never happen there. I have never heard about shootings at a mall in the southern areas of Dallas.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM

143 posts, read 652,948 times
There is a reason the Cowboys, SMU, Dallas Burn/FC Dallas, and the Cotton Bowl have all left Fair Park.

As Mike Rhyner of The Ticket says, "The white man doesn't want to go down to Fair Park".

Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,287,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Total BS.

The people who live there are very poor.
The houses are in bad shape and therefore cheap.

I have never been shot at over there.
Quote:
South Dallas isn't that bad! I have been to South Dallas so many times, I never had a problem. My mother lived there in the late 70s and mid 80s. Come on PEOPLE you can get shot anywhere in Dallas. People try to make the lower income areas worst than it really is. People see the dilapidated houses and assume that the area is so bad that you can't even roll down your windows.

A couple of years ago they had a shooting at NorthPark Center, you wouldn't think it would never happen there. I have never heard about shootings at a mall in the southern areas of Dallas.
Look, I'm usually one of the first people on this board to defend what others perceive as bad areas, but let's call a spade a spade. The last statistics that I checked, there is not a single place in all of Dallas County with worse crime than the homes just southeast of Fair Park. Are you likely to get mugged or killed going to Fair Park? No, that's silly. I feel perfectly fine walking to and from my car at the state fair. But you have a MUCH higher chance of something bad happening to you in this neighborhood than any other neighborhood in Dallas. If you don't think the statistically worst neighborhood in Dallas is all that bad, then I don't know what to tell you. And the last time I checked, Fair Park does not represent all of South Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or