Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The DFW area has a dozen art museums, several symphony orchestras, one of the best art/foreign/specialty film scenes in the United States,

id like to check this out. any independent foreign film theaters for me to look into? i want to see obscure/independent film in the area. thnx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:13 AM

9 posts, read 32,027 times
The Angelika Movie theater at Mockingbird & US 75 (there's also one located at Legacy Town Center in Plano) is an indy movie theater. There is also the Magnolia located at West Village, just west of US 75 (Central) off of Lemmon. Both are accessible via mass transit as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 AM

937 posts, read 2,907,215 times
There is also the Inwood theater off of Inwood near the Dallas North Tollway. It is not DART rail accessible though.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,517 times
solid. thnx to the both of you!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 PM

47 posts, read 211,340 times
I agree that we have an amazing diversity of things to do here. We have been here for 4 years, and have not even begun to see or do all that Texas has to offer. The only thing I miss from the midwest is the beautiful fall color. And of course our Ohio State University Buckeyes! One really cool thing to do here is visit the McDonald Observatory in West Texas. It gives new meaning to the lyrics "the stars at night shine big and bright."

Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto2 View Post
The only thing I miss from the midwest is the beautiful fall color.
Take a vacation for a week and you won't miss a thing

Old 08-08-2007, 06:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfTheSunbelt View Post
If you move here your friends will never come visit because there is literally nothing for the out of town visitor to do besides shop, eat and drink. And brace yourself for the "fine patio dining" options in Dallas. Gee. This patio overlooking a parking lot or freeway sure is nice.

You can only go to the 6th floor museum so many times....

This city has no character, no soul and no beauty. It just doesn't have an identity....sorry DFW'ers....leading the nation in "restaurants per capita" is not something to be proud of. But it's pretty much the only thing the Dallas visitors bureau has to work with.

I'm not a negative guy. Just speaking the truth. After 7+ years here, I have to say that enough is enough. I'm outta here as soon as I can.
I'm probably going to get slammed to death by Dallasites by saying i kind of agree with you. I have to say that I like Dallas alot and i think it has alot of things going for it. It's a great looking city with lots of options and a great public transportation system.

When i first visited Dallas in early 2005 (and i mean visit by walking and seeing what the city has to offer!) I left very impressed. I was jealous of the little light rail system/subway system they have. When Victory opened, i was thinking.. WOW!

I was just there last weekend and couldn't really think of anything to do besides stuff i've already done like: Mockinbird Station, Reunion Tower @ Night, Tastes of Dallas, JFK 6th Floor Museum, Black arts Museum, NorthPark Mall, Galleria, and Frisco Mall. Ever since Westend marketplace closed, that place hasn't been the same to me, so i didn't bother.

Most of Dallas's key focal points is shopping. I didn't really feel like driving to Fort Worth to experience a downtown atmosphere so we hung out on Greenville AVE Saturday night. It was hopping and live but I could tell that it was a place that would quickly get old. I've also gotten tired of riding the lightrail from Mockingbird station seeing how we do that everytime. I was NOT impressed at all with Medieval Times. The only thing i remember is having allergy flare-ups from the horses.

Point being, Dallas is a cute little city and all but to me, its not really a place that WOWs visitors enough to come back to. The so called "Time Square of Texas" is nothing more than fancy bars with condos around the large Plasma screens (Oh and the screens turn off after 10pm by the way!) It's almost like what was the point? It was cool at first but the developers predicted that the Screens would remain a large tourist draw. Looked to me like the hype was starting to die off a little bit.

The only things i really did this visit was: Greenville AV, Northpark, and Frisco/Plano malls. It was a little drab to me but that doesn't mean i think less of Dallas as a city, its just i think Texas's main attraction city still goes to San Antonio.

Now Dallasites, go ahead and beat the crap out of me because i had an opinion! ................................................ .....

Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
You did a tour of the cliches, congratulations! Medieval Times and Frisco Mall? Oh my.

Maybe you might like Greenville Ave better had you taken it a slower pace. There are certain places for certain moods and different foods. Were you in the clubbier places at the lowest part or in the middle? Can you tell me where you went?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
You did a tour of the cliches, congratulations! Medieval Times and Frisco Mall? Oh my.

Maybe you might like Greenville Ave better had you taken it a slower pace. There are certain places for certain moods and different foods. Were you in the clubbier places at the lowest part or in the middle? Can you tell me where you went?
I've been to Dallas at least 8 times in the last 2 years so i think i can say i know Dallas pretty well

To answer your question, we were in lower Greenville area where Club Suede is. We drove in the middle part of Greenville but it wasn't hopping like the lower part.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:09 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I was just there last weekend and couldn't really think of anything to do besides stuff i've already done like: Mockinbird Station, Reunion Tower @ Night, Tastes of Dallas, JFK 6th Floor Museum, Black arts Museum, NorthPark Mall, Galleria, and Frisco Mall. Ever since Westend marketplace closed, that place hasn't been the same to me, so i didn't bother.
That's true of any other major city. After you see the obvious tourist traps in San Francisco and Boston, you've seen it all.

The things to do in Dallas are the result of human activity. The American Idol auditions, the Quake video convention, the Dallas Video Festival. These are the things that establish major cities as a focus of human life.

Dallas is a much larger metro that San Antonio, it has 3 times as many people, and much more than 3 times as much human activity. Your problem with the city is, basically, your personal problem, rather than some objective shortcoming of Dallas' 6 million people.

Last edited by GoPadge; 08-09-2007 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Fixed spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas