Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 11:05 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I think Dallas is a better tourist destination than many believe. The reason many locals do not recognize it as such is that we live here, and the things it has are too familiar to us.
I have to agree and that's not just here. I grew up primary in New Orleans and Orange County, California (Disney and other things i.e., the beach). When I lived in Louisiana I didn't see really ANYTHING other than the zoo and the French Quarter as a child. But when I returned as an adult, I went to lots of plantations, battlefields, etc. I really got to see more of the history than I EVER did for the first 24 years of my life and I appreciated that I *could* see it. Same with the Missions in California, something locals take for granted, same with Disney (although I love Disney and never took it for granted), the museums, etc. It's not all a beach My husband and I spent a lot of time camping, fishing, and day trips in the outdoors of Texas (yes even in the heat with proper precautions and WATER for hydration) and you know I think you could go to the Texas Parks and Recreation site and NEVER see everything in Texas just from that site alone. There is a lot more to Dallas than Stonebriar and TGI Fridays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 04:10 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I like how you list all the College Theater departments as Theater Companies. You should re-read my post, where I mentioned them already. You also listed a couple of Acting schools. You even went so far as to mention Ft. Worth divisions when the conversation has been on Dallas the whole time. But I guess you need those to boost the numbers to try and make me look wrong.
I think college theatre is entertaining and a valid form of theater. Acting schools and their occasional productions also add to the diversity of a metro. And guess what? I don't care which municipality a theater production is in as long as I can drive there and see a show. Most of the USA metros also have a mix of amateur, college, and professional theater, although not to the extent of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

As far as making you look wrong, you do that well enough without my help. You're a professional griper with no credibility. Maybe that's why you have a hard time finding acting gigs.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 12,943 times
I grew up in Dallas and lived there about 20 years altogether.

Here's what Dallas has to offer:

-Income tax free living
-White Rock Lake (scenic, great for cycling, running)
-Warm weather
-Cheap houses
-Decent park cities restaurants/shopping

Other than that? Not much. I could consider living in Dallas because I enjoy cycling competitively every day, which I would do by living near White Rock, and I enjoy dining out. But if White Rock Lake wasn't there, you couldn't pay me to live in Dallas.

I have lived near San Francisco (Napa, 40 mins from the city) for 5 years now and can safely say that life here is much more interesting than Dallas and the cities of Napa, San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, Walnut Creek, Marin County, are all at your fingertips - such a diverse array of things to do, see, eat, experience. If you buy a home in a surrounding city of San Francisco, like Sacramento, Vacaville, East bay like Pleasanton/Livermore/Danville, it's less expensive, but this market is difficult to get into from a place like Texas.

I will say though that it used to be that you couldn't even get a decent meal out in Dallas except for at a local chain restaurant, or find a good shop anywhere. Now with the Park Cities area in Dallas taking off, it's becoming much more interesting a place than it used to be, much more California-ized, but there still isn't really much to do there. Still, for affordable family living, there are worse places I'm sure. I've actually considered moving back there and buying an affordable house as an affordable "hub", from which I would travel and spend time in other places like the bay area.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:42 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottZZZ View Post
I grew up in Dallas and lived there about 20 years altogether.

Here's what Dallas has to offer:

-Income tax free living
-White Rock Lake (scenic, great for cycling, running)
-Warm weather
-Cheap houses
-Decent park cities restaurants/shopping

Other than that? Not much. I could consider living in Dallas because I enjoy cycling competitively every day, which I would do by living near White Rock, and I enjoy dining out. But if White Rock Lake wasn't there, you couldn't pay me to live in Dallas.

I have lived near San Francisco (Napa, 40 mins from the city) for 5 years now and can safely say that life here is much more interesting than Dallas and the cities of Napa, San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, Walnut Creek, Marin County, are all at your fingertips - such a diverse array of things to do, see, eat, experience. If you buy a home in a surrounding city of San Francisco, like Sacramento, Vacaville, East bay like Pleasanton/Livermore/Danville, it's less expensive, but this market is difficult to get into from a place like Texas.

I will say though that it used to be that you couldn't even get a decent meal out in Dallas except for at a local chain restaurant, or find a good shop anywhere. Now with the Park Cities area in Dallas taking off, it's becoming much more interesting a place than it used to be, much more California-ized, but there still isn't really much to do there. Still, for affordable family living, there are worse places I'm sure. I've actually considered moving back there and buying an affordable house as an affordable "hub", from which I would travel and spend time in other places like the bay area.
I went to college at UC Berkeley and now live in Dallas so I understand what this poster is saying. I think it's important to keep in mind that these are very subjective opinions based on a person's or family's own unique goals. If having a bunch of stuff "to do" outside of your home or neighborhood is important to you and you can afford it, sure California is hard to beat. But if you're looking for a more traditional "family" environment Dallas is tops.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 AM

625 posts, read 1,956,511 times
How about we turn this thread into something constructive...

What are places you would take a visitor to, that are unique to Dallas.

By unique, I mean "visit 6th floor museum" and not "go to ethnic festival."

Here's my short list:

1) Go visit 6th Floor Museum
2) Go visit Dallas Zoo/Aquarium
3) Go visit Ft. Science Museum and awesome Omni Theater
4) Six Flags.
5) Ballpark in Arlington/AA Center/Texas Stadium

Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
1. Dallas Stars hockey game
2. Dallas Arboretum - during Spring Blooms is one great time as is right now.
3. White Rock Lake - most never realize that Dallas has something like this IN our city limits.
4. Reunion Tower
5. Old City Park
6. Farmers Market
7. City Hall - any movie buff should recognize the building
8. The Bronze cattle by the old pioneer cemetery in downtown
9. The underground tunnels in downtown
10. If they want to be really hokey then Southfork Ranch
11. Sailing on Lake Ray Hubbard
12. Victory Park - same time as the hockey game
13. Ride a carriage thru the Park Cities to see the Christmas Lights
14. If they are into BIG Christmas pagents then to Prestonwood Baptist for theirs
15. NorthPark Mall at Christmas to see Santa and the train exhibit
16. Plano Balloon Festival (don't get to see THAT many hot air balloons all the time)

Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
A visitor or resident can also go horseback riding.

Benbrook Stables

Things To Do In Dallas and Fort Worth - WebPost

Also - go hiking or biking at several area parks.

Dallas Parks - Hikes and Biking Trails

And there are golf courses and fitness centers/gyms all over the place. One is not confined to restaurants and museums, that's nonesense.

Additionally, there are also several large lakes in the area, all with public access.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I think college theatre is entertaining and a valid form of theater. Acting schools and their occasional productions also add to the diversity of a metro. And guess what? I don't care which municipality a theater production is in as long as I can drive there and see a show. Most of the USA metros also have a mix of amateur, college, and professional theater, although not to the extent of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

As far as making you look wrong, you do that well enough without my help. You're a professional griper with no credibility. Maybe that's why you have a hard time finding acting gigs.
I'm hardly a professional griper, I just don't exaggerate the positives or have a self inflated value of my local. If people are thinking of moving to a location, they need to know the good and the bad. Stop sugar coating everything. Big freaking deal Dallas isn't the best city in the nation. I wouldn't have such a problem with people like you if you didn't get so bent out of shape about someone not liking your city or at the very least, informing others that compared to other locations, the city fall shorts in several categories. Or *gasp* the city has problems like any other city. As far as me having a hard time finding acting gigs, I do just fine. Grasping at straws yet again.
Credibility? Hmmm, why do we have virtually the same reputation on here, yet you have more than twice as many post as I have?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I'm hardly a professional griper, I just don't exaggerate the positives or have a self inflated value of my local. If people are thinking of moving to a location, they need to know the good and the bad. :
The bad you dwell upon seems to be your difficulty in getting gigs as an actor. Maybe if you had better luck, you'd have a better opinion of the city?

No comment on the quality of your performance, but the local market for actors in Dallas is not such a criterion of excellence for the vast majority of the population. If you can't get lots of work as an actor, that is not much of a reflection on the DFW area as a desirable place to be.

Good luck in the actors market of NYC or LA.

Last edited by aceplace; 11-07-2007 at 10:52 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txman View Post
I moved to Fort Worth from Boston several years ago. Fort Worth had a "quaint" downtown, althought there were too many chain restaurants, and nightlife was boring. So downtown was okay, but the rest of the city was a snooze fest. Also Fort Worth is somewhat of a racist town and not very diverse. So after contemplating moving back home, I decided to give Dallas a try...and I love it here.

The people are friendly here, food is great, jobs are plentiful and nightlife is good. The people take pride in thier appearance here too, and I quickly lost the extra twenty lbs. I gained bored to tears in Fort Worth. I love watching the city transform from sprawling surburban development, into a more urban city. What's going on downtown, where I live, is amazing.

The only drawback sometimes is the hot weather, which I'm getting used too. Put unlike that sunbelt person, I guess I can read, and knew it was hot in Texas before I got here.

I like Dallas myself. I have been on both ends of the DFW and my favorite is Dallas by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas